• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Knot

I will be putting the braid on as a shock leader,I was thinking of a double Uni knot
I don't use braid (yet!) but I use a double Uni for my shockleader knots, and a single Uni for most of my other Knots too.
It helps if the lines are a similar diameter, but if not, use more turns on the thinner line.
I tried the FG knot, but it's not the easiest knot to tie.

I use a mono shock leader (60lb) with braid mainline (65lb) and use an FG knot, takes a little while to learn but can be tied in a couple of minutes once you've learnt it.
An FG knot definitely goes through the eyes a little smoother than my dad's rods with Albright knots and mine collect a little less weed on them too.

OK but be aware braid doesn't make for a good rubbing leader. It's fine over clean sand but I prefer mono as my leader as its tougher in the case of any abrasion and far easier on the hands for 'handballing'. What are you wanting the braid leader to achieve?
An old but good rule of thumb for knotting any braid is to tie any style of knot with it doubled (ie you'll have 3 tag ends to trim) to prevent any slippage under pressure. However this obviously makes for a slightly bulkier 'barrel' in the knot. In your case I'd learn the PR/FG knots as they come off the reel and slip through the guides far better.

Edit - the 'PR bobin" knot is the strongest by far and the one to choose if using high drag settings on relatively light lines. You'll need to buy a bobin with built in clutch/drag - I got mine off AliExpress for a few quid. If you're fishing relatively heavy lines then you'll rarely if ever get close to the breaking strain of your system until it comes to pulling for a break

Last edited:
FG knot, well, it is not really a knot, more like a chinese finger trap. Once you learn to tie it it will stay with you forever, its the only braid to mono join I trust , I have been using it for years without a fail .
It does not have any bulky or bumpy “in line “ knots as such ,so it just slides through your guides.
Weed does not collect on the FG knot though, so it slides straight down your leader to your trace line unless you tie in a stop knot .

Here is a YT link…. There are a few different ways to tie the join, they all work out the same in the end .

Dave

FG knot, well, it is not really a knot, more like a chinese finger trap. Once you learn to tie it it will stay with you forever, its the only braid to mono join I trust , I have been using it for years without a fail .
It does not have any bulky or bumpy “in line “ knots as such ,so it just slides through your guides.
Weed does not collect on the FG knot though, so it slides straight down your leader to your trace line unless you tie in a stop knot .

Here is a YT link…. There are a few different ways to tie the join, they all work out the same in the end .

Dave
Feck me, that looks like a knot you would use on your washing line.. 🤣

Ian.

Kinda wondering of your thinking about using a braid leader on mono mainline. usually it's the other way round?

Kinda wondering of your thinking about using a braid leader on mono mainline. usually it's the other way round?
whata mistaka to make, I certainly wouldn't but others may think different.

Back