• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Knots

Craig

Reaction score
What's your favourite knot and why?

Depending on my situation I'll use one of a couple.
Uni for attaching everything from hooks to swivels when using mono or flouro, I've used this since I started sea fishing and haven't had one fail yet.
Palomar for tying anything on when fishing braid straight through as it's quick, very easy, and so far reliable.
Albright for mono to mono, again, simple and reliable.
FG for tying braid mainline to mono/flouro leader as it's so slim and gives me zero ring wraps now I've sussed the leader length issue I suffered to start with.

I rarely use anything other than the grinner knot. Hooks, swivels lead links, does the job for me and I can tie it in the dark on the beach.
Leader to mainline is an overhand knot in the 80lb with a five turn grinner around it with the mainline.

Leader to mainline is an overhand knot in the 80lb with a five turn grinner around it with the mainline.

I use the same. I sometimes blob the end of the leader with a lighter, and sometimes put a small amount of superglue over the knot as it smooths it out a little. For hooks, swivels etc. I use a Uni knot. I was taught how to tie a Blood knot as a youngster and used it for years, but I've had a few pull out with Flouro in recent years, so now just use the Uni knot. I tried braid on my beach gear but couldn't get on with it, so went back to mono. Recently tried the same Braid on 3000 & 4000 sized spinning reels and it seems OK - seems to suit a smaller reel better than it did on my 7000 & 8000 sized surfcasters. Perhaps the rod ring spacings had something to do with it too.

Tucked half blood for most hooks, swivels etc.

Half blood to half hitch for mono to mono leader.

Uni to half hitch for braid to mono leader.

The knot purists will probably look down their noses at those but haven’t had any fail except when pulling out of snags, so happy enough with them.

Oh, and the old fashioned long liners knot for tying thick 80lb plus mono for bitey thing traces.
No idea what it’s called but it’s a double loop around the line and pull through. Very simple and it’s NEVER failed.

I got told to get knotted, does that count?:unsure:

Palomar knot for braid to lure clip, even I can tie it in the dark and if you can believe YouTube its the strongest knot going.
Alberto knot for braid to leader, much easier than an fg, I never reel my leader through a guide.

I use a tucked blood knot for hooks and swivels etc, unless it’s main bodies for traces, those I use double barrelled crimps to 60-80lb trace bodies. I use tapered shock leaders so it’s back to back grinners to attach the lines of similar diameters

Uni. Double Uni when attaching two lines of similair diameter. Dropper knot now for traces.

Back