• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South West Last 2 trips & end of year round up

Just one last cast

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
West bexington 6/12/22

Currently in a cold snap mainly dry northerly wind & a frost forecast for the next few nights however a building spring tide (3.9m) at around 6pm has got to be worth a go.

Water clarity clear.

Arrived an hour later than planned at 3pm with the sea the flattest I’ve seen it.

Baits rag worms, squid, Mack & med Sandeels.

Rigs pullleys single & pennel 3/0 & flappers 1/0.

Went left to rainwater run off area.

Nothing doing in daylight or dusk. Bites then started around the turn of the tide. With descent size dogs & whiting being the best of the catch pins & a strap the annoying ones. Did try using them as deadbait on a third rod but no joy. Bites slowed as the tide went missed a few too probably bait fish.

Hooked quite a bit of rubbish tonight plastic bags etc.

The frost on my rod holdall & shelter telling me I’ve been here for too long.

West bexington 22/12/22 & end of year round up.

Last chance to get out for a couple weeks was tonight. Unfortunately missed the calmer days after the storm & knew i was going to struggle as big waves/rough sea.

Got set up around 2.30pm, high tide 5.30 ish 3.9m temp 11c wind sw 10/15 mph (predicted)

Set up well back & high up, moving even higher before the high.

Baits squid, Mack, hardback crabs

Rigs short pulleys including some squid on hair rigs with top gun hooks.

Casting seemed better OTG with thinner 16lb mono.

Hardly any weed.

Most of the time fished with 1 rod having to hold it to feel tide pull & lucky to get 5 minutes a cast before getting shingled. Hmmm getting deja vu here of another trip I recently wrote up.

Strange not even a bite tonight baits all untouched, perhaps too rough for the fish.

Stuck with it till around 10pm as low approached the shingling became worse and despite pulling out of the shingle countless times by keeping rod high & pressure on I eventually lost a set & that along with the fact my arms were hanging out the sockets by now I called it a day. Even cleaning the bait off the used rigs for a change & back home by midnight for once.

Still that’s my final fix of 2022 & chesils a cracking place to be especially when you’re the only one there.

That said & without blaming my health issues I have made little progress on the big beach this year since a couple big Huss back in March I have been guilty of fishing the same stretch with the same rigs, the same bait probably in the wrong conditions and not targeting specific species, a ray or live flatfish have eluded me again.

Hope to try a few more marks next year & make some progress on the ones I already fish maybe give the lure side of things a bit more time.
Sorry it’s a bit early but,Have a good one all & tight lines over the hols & for 2023.8EC0A109-970E-49C2-A46D-51225B82ECB3.jpeg

Great report JOLC - made a nice read! Thanks for posting that, and Merry Christmas! 🎣🎣(y)(y)

Great read mate. If you ever want a session down there let me know. I’m 10 mins from Bexi and usually find a decent fish every session. Offer is there if you want it bud. Merry christmas

West bexington 6/12/22

Currently in a cold snap mainly dry northerly wind & a frost forecast for the next few nights however a building spring tide (3.9m) at around 6pm has got to be worth a go.

Water clarity clear.

Arrived an hour later than planned at 3pm with the sea the flattest I’ve seen it.

Baits rag worms, squid, Mack & med Sandeels.

Rigs pullleys single & pennel 3/0 & flappers 1/0.

Went left to rainwater run off area.

Nothing doing in daylight or dusk. Bites then started around the turn of the tide. With descent size dogs & whiting being the best of the catch pins & a strap the annoying ones. Did try using them as deadbait on a third rod but no joy. Bites slowed as the tide went missed a few too probably bait fish.

Hooked quite a bit of rubbish tonight plastic bags etc.

The frost on my rod holdall & shelter telling me I’ve been here for too long.

West bexington 22/12/22 & end of year round up.

Last chance to get out for a couple weeks was tonight. Unfortunately missed the calmer days after the storm & knew i was going to struggle as big waves/rough sea.

Got set up around 2.30pm, high tide 5.30 ish 3.9m temp 11c wind sw 10/15 mph (predicted)

Set up well back & high up, moving even higher before the high.

Baits squid, Mack, hardback crabs

Rigs short pulleys including some squid on hair rigs with top gun hooks.

Casting seemed better OTG with thinner 16lb mono.

Hardly any weed.

Most of the time fished with 1 rod having to hold it to feel tide pull & lucky to get 5 minutes a cast before getting shingled. Hmmm getting deja vu here of another trip I recently wrote up.

Strange not even a bite tonight baits all untouched, perhaps too rough for the fish.

Stuck with it till around 10pm as low approached the shingling became worse and despite pulling out of the shingle countless times by keeping rod high & pressure on I eventually lost a set & that along with the fact my arms were hanging out the sockets by now I called it a day. Even cleaning the bait off the used rigs for a change & back home by midnight for once.

Still that’s my final fix of 2022 & chesils a cracking place to be especially when you’re the only one there.

That said & without blaming my health issues I have made little progress on the big beach this year since a couple big Huss back in March I have been guilty of fishing the same stretch with the same rigs, the same bait probably in the wrong conditions and not targeting specific species, a ray or live flatfish have eluded me again.

Hope to try a few more marks next year & make some progress on the ones I already fish maybe give the lure side of things a bit more time.
Sorry it’s a bit early but,Have a good one all & tight lines over the hols & for 2023.View attachment 37350
Good effort mate

Nice sesh mate good ole chisel one minute there there the next they’ve disappeared strage beach indeed 👍👍👍👍

Back