• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South Coast Last two trips. Swanage and West Bay.

cap'nhaddock

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
I had a near blank trip to Swanage Pier on Saturday; one Tompot, the size of an index finger, was the only fish from the only bite. It should have been perfect conditions, light breeze, clear water and the right tide but every tactic, bottom fishing with various rigs, hooks and baits and float fishing failed.

I thought I'd try West Bay again.
Surely daylight fishing has to get better one day?

As it happens it did get better yesterday; years ago you could depend on getting plenty of small fish there especially Rockling and Flounders; the sea bed used to be carpeted with small flounder. It was the place to take children for their first fishing outings as they were sure to catch something. It seems that things are going in that direction again.

The first target was a Shanny, they live among and adjacent to the rocks,

rocks.jpg

A piece of ragworm on a size 10 hook trapped one after about thirty minutes of trying, number 20.

Next was to see what else there was to be had, daylight fishing has been dire recently. It was a surprise to find that there were Flounder and Plaice at all distances, small it has to be said, but they kept the rod tip moving. The hour and a half session resulted in two Pout, four Flounder and two Plaice to ragworm bait on small hooks.

I intended to fish the long arm of the harbour after dark to see if there were any Dogfish and Huss to be had.
There were not, but plenty of Pout , a couple of small Five Bearded Rockling and another two Flounder.

It was far colder than I had thought it would be and could have done with several more coats so I packed up after two hours.

It was good to see the small flounders back again. I wonder where they had gone to and why they've returned.
We know so little about the habits of fish

A large orange buoy floated by and was carried off by the current towards Lyme Regis, someone is regretting his poor knot tying, they are not cheap items.

buoy.jpg

Thanks for sharing Cap'n, nice to see more fish in the day....it's been very quiet lately like you said đź‘Ť

Smashing report and pictures.
As you say. "We know so little about the habits of fish". Here today, gone tomorrow, but to where? No two days are the same. Glad you are doing ok without me!

Smashing report and pictures.
As you say. "We know so little about the habits of fish". Here today, gone tomorrow, but to where? No two days are the same. Glad you are doing ok without me!
It's a struggle but I manage.

rocks-jpg.39724

That's one hell of a Waggler Float Cap'n.

buoy-jpg.39725

Bubble Float in the margins.Novel.(y)

Seriously,nice session.

Back