• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Learning all the time

jambop

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Lure
So when I was down at St Jean de Luz last time I blanked again. I had a chance to get a look at the sea bed and decided to fish on the sandy area inside the reef. Anyway well into the day a chap comes along and fished a bit further along from me off the rocky area into the rocky bottomed part of the bay. He fished with a float and worked it back over the rocky sea bed... and caught a couple of decent sized fish within an hour and then went home to cook them for tea I think :ROFLMAO: . I have no idea what he used for bait but it could have been the paste bait they use for sea bream down here. Anyway a bit of youtube and internet research reveals that floated baits over rough ground, and in pretty rough seas too!, are the way to fish for the sea bream down there . Baits are varied worms, prawns, mussles and of course the special sardine/flour and sand paste. So now armed with a bit more knowledge of how to fish for them I have now ordered a selection of floats and will be giving it a bash in the not too distant. I have also identified one or two new places to try out that are in the area so there could be a bit of variety of situation.

So when I was down at St Jean de Luz last time I blanked again. I had a chance to get a look at the sea bed and decided to fish on the sandy area inside the reef. Anyway well into the day a chap comes along and fished a bit further along from me off the rocky area into the rocky bottomed pert pf the bay. He fished with a float and worked it back over the rocky sea bed... and caught a couple of decent sized fish within an hour. I have no idea what he used for bait but it could have been the paste bait they use for sea bream down here. Anyway a bit of youtube and internet research reveals that floated baits over rough ground, and in pretty rough seas too!, are the way to fish down there . Baits are varied worms, prawns, mussles and of course the special sardine/flour and sand paste. So now armed with a bit more knowledge of how to fish for them I have now ordered a selection of floats and will be giving it a bash in the not too distant. I have also identified one or two new places to try out that are in the area so there could be a bit of variety of situation.
Float fished live prawns are deadly,hard to find them here these days.

Float fished live prawns are deadly,hard to find them here these days.
There were loads of small prawns and crabs in the rock pools that day but apart from the fact the things move like greased lightening I had no way of capturing them. Live small shore crabs are a favoured bait for gilthead bream. These are hard shelled not peelers. They remove a few of their legs and mount them on a two hooked crab rig... again you have to catch the wee bastards the too move like stink :ROFLMAO: .

When I used to fish rocky areas I lost floats so I designed my own, it makes it a cheaper pastime, details here

There were loads of small prawns and crabs in the rock pools that day but apart from the fact the things move like greased lightening I had no way of capturing them. Live small shore crabs are a favoured bait for gilthead bream. These are hard shelled not peelers. They remove a few of their legs and mount them on a two hooked crab rig... again you have to catch the wee bastards the too move like stink :ROFLMAO: .
Maybe a wee portable trap?

When I used to fish rocky areas I lost floats so I designed my own, it makes it a cheaper pastime, details here

Great stuff have the components so will be having a go. It is all these little things that can save the angler a lot of money. The ballrag floats that I have just bought are indestructible according to the manufacturers, but you can still lose one if it gets snagged... goodbye €5 !

these work well collect loads of prawns and crab in no time
kids crabbing net with weight lol got about 6 where families have just left them on marks

20210621_190225.jpg

only about a 5er to buy anyway if no families dump them your way ?
So do you just put some sort of bait in there and dangle it into the water. The only problem I see it that I am not fishing where there is a vantage point to drop it into the water but off the end of a long'ish rod should do a job?

So do you just put some sort of bait in there and dangle it into the water. The only problem I see it that I am not fishing where there is a vantage point to drop it into the water but off the end of a long'ish rod should do a job?
yeah bait in the bottom there is a little spring usually to hold some bait in place and put it in water give it a few minutes and a quick retrieve to keep prawns in .

ahh yes iv used them off piers , breakwaters and rocks, but would be harder off a flat beach although not impossible if there wasnt much current throw it out a bit I suppose

If there is a sandy patch where a net wouldn't snag up you could use a collapsible trap, bait it, add a weight as well and heave it out on a cord. No chance of the catch getting out as they would with a dish type net.

Back