• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South East Light at the end of the tunnel

Action Man

Reaction score
Morning all,

Don’t know about the rest of you, but this winter has really dragged on. I have not been fishing this year as much as I usually would, and when I have been it’s been tough going, with more blanks than I’m used to, and of course the obligatory whiting.

This exact time last year we were dealing with a dump of snow, but fast forward 12 months and we are seeing some really nice day time temps, sunshine and generally people have a bit of spring in their step. Same can be said about the anglers, few glimmers of promise in the local reports of rays showing up around my home mark in Herne Bay, and the quantity of anglers I’ve seen in the last week on my evening promenade runs gives encouragement that spring may be on its way.

Last night was my turn, the freedom pass was granted and this coincided with a lovely small hight tide at 8:45pm, calm seas and zero wind. The only downside was the temp hovering at about 2 degrees.

Anyway, onto the fishing! I arrived shortly after 6pm and casually got set up. First cast sent out on an up and over loaded with bluey and within 10 mins some noticeable pulls started to develop. I left it for about 5 mins and then the line dropped slack - it had to be a ray! I lifted into the fish and a relatively dead weight was reeled towards the shore, only to see the small female ray arriving backwards and upside down. I was very happy, winter seemed a distant memory as I had my first ray at the start of the session. This fun was short lived though, after that the rod tips remained motionless all night. Few twangs from a bit of crab activity, plus a scrawny whiting that didn’t even register on the rod tip. I kind of just sat there and froze, but at least I had my ray!

Until next time

Alan

5885F178-230E-4710-802C-D559902A2857.jpeg

76FA7722-190A-453A-BE7A-120996D9C891.jpeg

I’ve had my best results on the smallest of tides at herne bay. I rarely do well on the big tides
You need bigger wellingtons for spring tides - Just jesting ;)

Well done AM - nice report and good photos! ????

They’ll be here in numbers before we know it!! ??????

Back