• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South Coast Local knowledge pays

John Mitchell

Reaction score
Bananas and I decided to go to cogdon to see if we could get a sole for our spieces hunt , apparently it’s easy to catch them them on this mark , find the clay they said , we found it but we had the wrong rigs the wrong baits . Chesil Pete joined us about 5.30 and by about 6pm he had a double shot of plaice on the beach . Then he continued to do this annoying thing in front of bob and me double shot treble shot , me and bob were struggling. Bob did catch a tub gurnard and 2 red mullet while I am still blanking , ( (bastards ) .??. Pete said it’s all about local knowledge me and bob just laughed oh how we laughed ?. He said in a minute pout would come on the feed and they did I caught 2.5 of them , one was smashed as I was bringing it in , chomped right in half , so I had a plan I put a big hook on and recasted it out , not a touch . Then Pete said the pout would go and sole would turn up , boy he was right , BUT it was now slightly smug Pete who caught 2 ?, he gave me his rig he put his fresh blacks on the hooks he even cast out for me I still couldn’t get a sole , he gave bob a rig and bait and bob still couldn’t catch a sole .we stayed late , I got to bed at 2.30am . To be honest you could not meet a more knowledgeable and friendly person then Pete , he showed us what to do but we still couldn’t catch anything decent , we had rag , frozen black , Sandeel, and squid , he just had fresh blacks .
thanks Pete for a great evening. finish up with bob with his mullet , I told him to get his fingers out the way ?
E0260119-301B-4230-9BBD-3947251786A3.jpeg

Great fun to see you guys...... next time we will discuss the targets and rigs/bait/venue and refine the approach there are areas of Chesil which offer much more diversity of your target species.
I really enjoyed your company, lets go again!.
Ted has a message for Bert..... "Thanks for the treats dude!"

Good effort lads . Chesil as i know only too well can be a tough venue to crack but thats what makes it such an addictive place for me . The only advice from my limited knowledge would be bait Fresh blacks in my opinion are a must for the flatties especially at this time of year . Im back up there next friday weather permitting.

Great report John! Shame you & Bob didn't get yout 'Sole' target. ????

Is that an ah sole fishing session?

You can take a horse to water and all that! In it to win it though boys. Are they 2 soles l am holding, ha, ha. I remember Southbourner catching 40 plus sole on nasty rag worm he was ashamed to be using it was so past it. I have had double figures of sole a few times at Southbourne. Its another 1.5 hours drive for you boys though. They will come I am sure.

You can take a horse to water and all that! In it to win it though boys. Are they 2 soles l am holding, ha, ha. I remember Southbourner catching 40 plus sole on nasty rag worm he was ashamed to be using it was so past it. I have had double figures of sole a few times at Southbourne. Its another 1.5 hours drive for you boys though. They will come I am sure.
Southbourne is a great idea for sure they could do a day on the pier for turbot and brill and the evening for a tiddler sole. In fact thats a genius idea. Its probably not much longer in real terms they dont have the big walk to the beach they can plot up and fish.

Was a great session even tho not many fish for me and even less for john :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: , yep the high light was fishing, listening and learning from Pete, one very top angler, who's knowledge of how to fish the very long beach is amazing. looking forward to another sesh there with him.
Id say the second high light was getting Ted to finally take a treat from my hand(y)(y).
Will have to have a read up on Southbourne, cheers.

Well done beys good to meet up with mr chisel knows his shit don’t he oh I told bert that ted ate his treats and bert called him a shit house bloody rude my dog ?

Southbourne is a long way from Plymouth ?
In real time door to door its probably only an extra 35 mins each way.
I think you will get that turbo in September from the pier and a guaranteed sole from the beach..... si will know more about minis. But a trip for a couple of species must be worth it. You guys have got so many now gwtting new species is going to get trickier and trickier.
I fancy a day out eating fish n chips and ice cream might pop a kiss me quick hat on for that one!!

In real time door to door its probably only an extra 35 mins each way.
I think you will get that turbo in September from the pier and a guaranteed sole from the beach..... si will know more about minis. But a trip for a couple of species must be worth it. You guys have got so many now gwtting new species is going to get trickier and trickier.
I fancy a day out eating fish n chips and ice cream might pop a kiss me quick hat on for that one!!
I suppose it could be an option

The beach is very easy fishing, the pier.... Well an experience for sure.... Best take a crash hat and a minder, for the local macky bashers ?.... They seem to think they own most of the end, and if you don't hold your ground they will push you off your spot!....

Think last time on the beach I had 8 or 9 small sole, 7-8 small hounds, a tub, bass, a few macky and scad.
There should also be rays and plaice about.

Back