• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

West Coast Loch Etive..

The Third Earl

Reaction score
Well, our trip to Etive has arrived and we have been here since Saturday.. weather has been in turn chite, sunny , chite chite, sunny ,sunny , chite, repeated, and that was only one day ?. In fact it has not been that good anywhere as far as I can tell, but you have to make the most of any situation.

I have only managed one shore trip, and as opposed to seeking out new marks, decided that in order to keep SWMBO onside I would fish Ardchattan Church mark,whilst she did the walk to the priory garden, only managed to fish from 11.30 to 3, that was down and a half hour up, but didnt even manage a nibble except from Crabs , which stripped the bait with alarming regularity.

Today we hired one of Dougies boats , and as I am more familiar with marks on the water than by the water, we did not do too badly, there is an absence of Mackies, at least we tried and failed in that respect, but back up Blueys and Squid plus some shad work provided us with decent sport.

We started with Pollack, not big but good to get a species targeted.

Then I managed a Cod, very small but perfectly formed, and a lovely Rock Cod shade of Orange , and after that it was Spurs all day , all sizes from about a pound up to about 7 or 8 lb, we boated a couple for the obligatory photos, then they were T Barred off without leaving the water .

We had a break from the Spurs when heavy rain and a stiff breeze stopped play , we had to seek shelter in one of the bays along from Bonawe Quarry ,it gave us a chance for a clean up and a bite to eat, once that had passed we were back firing on all cylinders, in fact even moving to a mark I had not tried before , that I had had suggested by a colleague paid off .

We were back in for about 4.45 pm, and a couple of very happy anglers handed the boat back to Dougie .

I do have photos, and would have included them , but the broadband here at the cabins is very slow and I would still be here in a month waiting for them to be downloaded, so this time you will have to do without .

Cheers and back later ?

Dave

Good report mate, looking forward to a session at Etive soon.

Back