• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Lose the Trebles!

Trampster

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Way behind with the Youtube channels I Sub to, just don't seem to have the time for it lately, but BillyFishing has just put up another great video about why you should change Treble hooks on Lures to singles. 👍👍

Way behind with the Youtube channels I Sub to, just don't seem to have the time for it lately, but BillyFishing has just put up another great video about why you should change Treble hooks on Lures to singles. 👍👍

Ah, the ongoing debate continues. He’s right about one thing and that’s about the size of the hooks compared with the body size of the lure. However there are so many nuances to each brand, model and action that it’s actually a case of experimenting with each lure to see if they work effectively with the change to singles.
Weird though it might seem, some lures simply aren’t designed for singles and no amount of tweaking will ever work, the Shore Line Shiner being an example.
I’ve personally found that the compromise of a treble up front and a single to the rear is about as far as I’ll push it mostly, especially when it comes to affecting the depth of the lure.

All of thd above! It's easy to simplify the case for singles but on some lures it just does not stack up. Good lure design is a bit more complex than many anglers think and the better manufacturers spend considerable time on R&D getting them as effective as possible. Many topwaters I use for bsss are poor candidates for singles in my experience.

Personally I like to use trebles , if a fish hits my lure I want to hook it , a treble is a good tool for catching fish .
Yep, but if the fish is undersized and you want to return it, Trebles cause a lot more damage. They are more likely to hook your fingers too!

Yep, but if the fish is undersized and you want to return it, Trebles cause a lot more damage. They are more likely to hook your fingers too!
On that point, I’ve simply stopped fishing where basslets and schoolies are present and aim for the bigger specimens. Horrible to see the damage inflicted, particularly on a feisty basslet. Most of my fishing is with Seekers or SPs’ nowadays, occasionally I’ll use some of my extensive collection of HPs’, but it’s declining year on year. My stats are surprisingly up both in number and size, with all the 60+ fish on larger SPs’.

I swap all my trebles now for a decent strong pattern. I just got fed up with snagging everything(inc myself). Not noticed a reduced strike to fish bnked ratio.
As Topwater has intimated to in the post above, the use of barbless or crushed barb is just as good if not better than changed trebles to singles. I use crushed barb trebles on all of my lures and can't say I lose any more fish than I ever did when using barbed. I can say it makes it far, far easier unhooking fish though and the lack of barb usually means that only one part of the treble is hooked into the fish.

Back