• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Lowest Tides 3rd /4th March

cap'nhaddock

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
If you are checking out your local fishing area,try & take notes to where all the holes are, personally I take a GPS with me

If you are checking out your local fishing area,try & take notes to where all the holes are, personally I take a GPS with me
Anything I want to save (and walk straight back to), I put in as a pin on Google maps on the phone.
A friend (who is younger) does it all the time and I’m amazed I didn’t start doing it years ago…

One of the beaches close to me opened up a nice area of sand not often seen, over the last couple of days.
I find it's always useful to go down and have a good look at what you can put a bait on and as I want to fish there, walking the dog over it seemed a good idea.
Friday evening, at low slack I got onto the beach and was greeted by a total of seven razor clams giving themselves up by poking out of the sand. Three or four others just showing and not far enough out to get hold of.
Tonight, this time carrying a tub of salt, I managed a couple of volunteers and another five gave up to a salting.
There would probably have been more but the tide began to flood as it got too dark to see the tell-tale holes.
14 in total, now vac packed in the freezer, waiting for the bream to arrive.

Couldn't agree more, I once ate some straight out of the ground and into a pan within 30 minutes of finding them, along with some cockles and mussels. Difficult to describe just how good a food experience that was.
The reason I've frozen them is that I'm fairly confident there will be more as the year progresses. A little bait sorted for an early trip for bass and bream though.

I find that with squid
. wouldn't waste it as bait for fish too small to eat.

Ianpick we get mass washouts of "blood razors" here from time to time. It's a bonanza for the gulls when it happens but if you get down to the beach the night it happens then you could fill several skips in no time. I know the local match men rate it as bait for scratching flatfish. I wonder if it would be effective for bream? They're a species we don't get up here unfortunately.
Interestingly despite trying it many times I've never had a bass on razor locally. Given that they are obviously present that's strange isn't it? Big lug baits rule here

Back