• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Lure clip

American snap swivel.

Need to get some, but I'm not sure what to buy either. After experiencing serious line twist from using SG seekers last year, they will have to have a swivel on them. If you work the SG Seekers 'sink & draw', they rotate 360° or more on every drop.

Need to get some, but I'm not sure what to buy either. After experiencing serious line twist from using SG seekers last year, they will have to have a swivel on them. If you work the SG Seekers 'sink & draw', they rotate 360° or more on every drop.
You can buy the breakaway clips with a swivel attached off Aliexpress.

You can buy the breakaway clips with a swivel attached off Aliexpress.
I could easily attach my own I guess. I don't go near Aliexpress - got my fingers burnt and got stitched up for a load of Duty & VAT when I bought a pair of shoes from them a few years back.

The only swivels that really work under load are ball bearing swivels, preferably on an anti twist/kink vane.
I know what you mean about metals like the Seeker Trampster. I always carry a spare spool and will chsnge part way through a session or when it gets noticeably bad. Braid helps here as its more limp than mono. I then trail the twisted line on the well used spools, behind the boat or through longish grass with nothing tied to them to remove twist. Wind the line back on pinched between a wet cloth.

The only swivels that really work under load are ball bearing swivels, preferably on an anti twist/kink vane.
I know what you mean about metals like the Seeker Trampster. I always carry a spare spool and will chsnge part way through a session or when it gets noticeably bad. Braid helps here as its more limp than mono. I then trail the twisted line on the well used spools, behind the boat or through longish grass with nothing tied to them to remove twist. Wind the line back on pinched between a wet cloth.
Before you mentioned the grass, I was going to say "slight snag, no Boat"! 😁😁
Was never a fan of Braid, but the Braid that was giving me grief on my Beach reels has now moved house to my Shimano 3000 & 4000 spinning reels, and has been fine.

+1 for the Breakaway Mini Link. Simple, small, strong and easy to change lures, even with wet and cold hands. There's an HTO version that's almost identical. I used to worry about whether there should be a swivel but I haven't noticed any difference without one so I don't bother nowadays. I fish from the shore with braid for my lure fishing; things might be different when boat fishing.

BB swivels are quite good but in my experience they don't like salt water much. With a bit of corrosion they will stiffen up and stop working properly. Good idea to give them a thorough rinse in fresh water if you do use them. Haven't used them for years though, maybe they're better nowadays.

Of the non BB types I've been happiest with Berkley. They are available in lots of sizes and also with a choice of nickel or black finish. They're not the cheapest but if you're spending twenty quid or more on a fancy Japanese lure (plus heaven knows how much on a rod & reel) it seems a false economy to worry about a few pence extra for a swivel.

+1 for the Breakaway Mini Link. Simple, small, strong and easy to change lures, even with wet and cold hands. There's an HTO version that's almost identical. I used to worry about whether there should be a swivel but I haven't noticed any difference without one so I don't bother nowadays. I fish from the shore with braid for my lure fishing; things might be different when boat fishing.

BB swivels are quite good but in my experience they don't like salt water much. With a bit of corrosion they will stiffen up and stop working properly. Good idea to give them a thorough rinse in fresh water if you do use them. Haven't used them for years though, maybe they're better nowadays.

Of the non BB types I've been happiest with Berkley. They are available in lots of sizes and also with a choice of nickel or black finish. They're not the cheapest but if you're spending twenty quid or more on a fancy Japanese lure (plus heaven knows how much on a rod & reel) it seems a false economy to worry about a few pence extra for a swivel.
I use stainless steel ones that are designed for salt water, just saying.(y)

Breakaway Mini Links for me, small, light and strong (y).

Back