• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

lure reel

j willson

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
looking for new lure reel for rod up to 35 grams ?also not silly money ;) any ideas

Agree with John - Shimano are very good. I bought a 3000 from John, and 2 used but good 4000 reels from eBay for less than £20 each. All good reels!

Up until recently I never spent big money on reels as I used to destroy them quickly, that said I loved my Daiwa Exceler's, liked my Daiwa BG's, but, very disappointed by the new Savage Gear SGS8 reels. Having bought a Van Staal this year, think spending more might bring some longevity and might make more sense in the long run for me at least.

If you don't mind buying from China have a look at a Kastking Sharkey 3
They have an enormous silky smooth drag and seem to be well engineered.
I used one for slow jigging in West Africa 3 years ago and was surprised how good it was, It's still in use today and is as good as when I bought it.

Daiwa, Shimano, Penn yes, but don't overlook Okuma or Quantum either. I have an Azores Blue in the 40 size and its an excellent saltwater intended lure reel. The Quantum Cabo are seriously good reels. If you want excellent value look at the ABU cardinal sw I've had a good few seasons out of the C174SWi with minimal but regular maintenance and its still going strong - pretty amazing for a sub £40 FS

Daiwa, Shimano, Penn yes, but don't overlook Okuma or Quantum either. I have an Azores Blue in the 40 size and its an excellent saltwater intended lure reel. The Quantum Cabo are seriously good reels. If you want excellent value look at the ABU cardinal sw I've had a good few seasons out of the C174SWi with minimal but regular maintenance and its still going strong - pretty amazing for a sub £40 FS
I somehow acquired a Quantum TG400CX baitcaster years ago. Lovely little quality reel in pristine condition, but same as I'm hopeless with a multiplier, I can't get on with it! Birds nest every other cast! ??

Back