• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Lures.

goose

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Favourite for me, surface patchenko, below down to maybe six feet a toss up between the gravity stick and fiiish minow in olive, windy lumpy water or casting further it's the seaker . Any killers out there I need to try ?

I don't do a lot of lure fishing, so haven't got many lures. SG Seeker & Surf Seeker in a coupe of colours, plus an SG Panic Prey surface lure, which I've had schoolies on.

Shore or boat Goose? Obviously I like to fish topwaters whenever possible, but a shallow running plug like the Feed Shallow and a jointed diver like the Rebel or Bomber are must haves for me, along with deeper divers and heavier jigs for the boat.

I've found the bombarda with a fly and a redgill a great tactic too
What Bombarda floats and where did you get them Topwater?
I saw a guy using some and thought that would be great for Bass with a Redgill or similar behind it, but haven't got around to buying some.

I saw a guy using some and thought that would be great for Bass with a Redgill or similar behind it, but haven't got around to buying some.
I've all sorts from an ancient wax filled Jiff lemon to clear plastic ones with stiff tubing tails. The last one I bought came from GAC and is Ron Thompson brand Trampster. I make my own from wine corks, washers, tubing and glue, and spray them suitable colours. You can add/subtract washers and ammount of cork to make various weights and sizes from floating to sinking versions. One that just about stays afloat in the current/speed of retrieve is often the best I find and will cast like bullet. You want a longish rod so you can cast an extra long leader if needed. Feather the cast before it lands so the whole lot straightens out rather than landing in a heap. On certain marks it can be a deadly method. Particularly good from a headland, promontory, jetty etc. In the UK I've caught bass, seatrout, pollack, mackerel, gar and launce (for bait) on variations of it 👍

I've all sorts from an ancient wax filled Jiff lemon to clear plastic ones with stiff tubing tails. The last one I bought came from GAC and is Ron Thompson brand Trampster. I make my own from wine corks, washers, tubing and glue, and spray them suitable colours. You can add/subtract washers and ammount of cork to make various weights and sizes from floating to sinking versions. One that just about stays afloat in the current/speed of retrieve is often the best I find and will cast like bullet. You want a longish rod so you can cast an extra long leader if needed. Feather the cast before it lands so the whole lot straightens out rather than landing in a heap. On certain marks it can be a deadly method. Particularly good from a headland, promontory, jetty etc. In the UK I've caught bass, seatrout, pollack, mackerel, gar and launce (for bait) on variations of it 👍

Thanks Topwater. Useful info. GAC = Glasgow Angling?

Originally they came with a bombarda stick which sat between the bombarda and the bead and was important to avoid tangles but most of the versions you can buy now don't have them and don't mention them either. Some do. You can search under Sbirolino as well. Just another name for the same thing.

The Jif lemon and redgill was a gamechanger in the 80's. Not just the numbers of fish, you could now fish the gnarliest shallowest ground without getting caught up. Opened up loadsof good marks

Yes GAC = Glasgow Angling Centre Tramps👍 It's all variations on the old fly and bubble float I saw in Ireland as a kid really. The beauty of the homemade ones is you can build them as big or small as you want and in colours to suit

Yes GAC = Glasgow Angling Centre Tramps👍 It's all variations on the old fly and bubble float I saw in Ireland as a kid really. The beauty of the homemade ones is you can build them as big or small as you want and in colours to suit
Thought it was Glasgow Angling. Had a look yesterday, and the Yuki ones look interesting. Also had a look on the GAC eBay store, but none there. Thanks mate!

This is a great tactic for bass on shallow water (1-6ft) clean-ground venues which have a strong tidal run. Cast out and just keeping in contact with the float as it arcs round in the tide, the redgill will flutter and do it's thing from the push of the water, no input from the angler needed. Redgills one of my favourite lures for pollack and bass, doesn't get used enough imo these days. I've even been lazy and ledgered redgills on a fixed pat in the tidal flow for bass in the summer, when I want to sit and have a beer in the sun, checking occasionally for any weed.

Favourite for me, surface patchenko, below down to maybe six feet a toss up between the gravity stick and fiiish minow in olive, windy lumpy water or casting further it's the seaker . Any killers out there I need to try ?

If you can find em, the DAM Effzett Minnows in khaki they're like £2 each and are superior to Fiiish Minnows IMO, better hook up ratio and have always done better on them, also don't cry when a wrasse inevitably munches the tail off one. I need to top up on a few of them for this upcoming year. Other lure to try is albie snax on a weightless hook retrieved very slowly at night. After a while becomes a very boring way to fish but by far the most effective way to catch bass along the stretch I fish. IMA Komomo flashing plate is another top lure and one I do well in daylight too, I like the asinago pattern. Tight lines,

This is a great tactic for bass on shallow water (1-6ft) clean-ground venues which have a strong tidal run. Cast out and just keeping in contact with the float as it arcs round in the tide, the redgill will flutter and do it's thing from the push of the water, no input from the angler needed. Redgills one of my favourite lures for pollack and bass, doesn't get used enough imo these days. I've even been lazy and ledgered redgills on a fixed pat in the tidal flow for bass in the summer, when I want to sit and have a beer in the sun, checking occasionally for any weed.

If you can find em, the DAM Effzett Minnows in khaki they're like £2 each and are superior to Fiiish Minnows IMO, better hook up ratio and have always done better on them, also don't cry when a wrasse inevitably munches the tail off one. I need to top up on a few of them for this upcoming year. Other lure to try is albie snax on a weightless hook retrieved very slowly at night. After a while becomes a very boring way to fish but by far the most effective way to catch bass along the stretch I fish. IMA Komomo flashing plate is another top lure and one I do well in daylight too, I like the asinago pattern. Tight lines,

Eddystone Eels are supposed to be just as good as Red Gills, and are made here. I've not been into their little store yet, but I've been told it's like Aladdin's Cave for Lures & artificial baits! Must try and make a visit in there one day.

Last edited:
I remember the 'Mevagissey Eel' being shown to me for the 1st time. Like many of the classics including J11/13, Sliver, Bass Bullet, Ragot, Toby etc, they are still good. The fish haven't changed much

I am going to experiment with these things…
IMG_4325.jpeg

Just need to drill through and attach swivel and hook.

The Jif lemon and redgill was a gamechanger in the 80's. Not just the numbers of fish, you could now fish the gnarliest shallowest ground without getting caught up. Opened up loadsof good marks
That's jogged my memory , Aberthaw was famous for the jiffy.

Eddystone Eels are supposed to be just as good as Red Gills, and are made here. I've not been into their little store yet, but I've been told it's like Aladdin's Cave for Lures & artificial baits! Must try and make a visit in there one day.

Did they copy red gills one wonders, I have various sizes and colours of red gills since the 60's.

I've all sorts from an ancient wax filled Jiff lemon to clear plastic ones with stiff tubing tails.

You want a longish rod so you can cast an extra long leader if needed. Feather the cast before it lands so the whole lot straightens out rather than landing in a heap.
Hi Topwater
I only use a 8ft rod and to overcome the drop length I use a homemade hook clip
So I can use say a 12ft snood when clipped up becomes 6ft
I glue the hook clip inside the clear tubing
I've never tried with redgills so what length is the go to

Back