• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South West Luring for wrasse at Start Point

Andy135

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Boat
Headed to Start Point over the weekend for a quick lure session. Had about 90 mins between family commitments so grabbed my spinning rod and a few lures and headed to a mark I last fished a few years ago that used to be a productive wrasse mark. But would it still hold fish? This mark is a special place for me as it's where I caught my first ever sea fish on a lure (a wrasse) nearly ten years ago.

VR4kbrV.jpg

7nF85nZ.jpg

The water clarity was reasonably good with a hint of cloudiness. Plenty of kelp about still, which is a good sign.

sKroRWV.jpg

The lure of choice was a Fiiish Black Minnow 120 in khaki colour, with the 12g shore head. This always used to be THE killer lure on this mark, cast out from a rocky finger across a small bay and bumped slowly across the bottom. The hit would usually come about half way back and would involve a couple of aggressive taps then a full on rod bender as the wrasse defended its territory and hooked itself.

After the first few casts I felt a slight tap on the lure, which came to nothing. A couple of casts later a schoolie bass followed the lure to the shore but didn't commit. This was followed by ten or so more fruitless casts before another, bigger bass followed the lure in.

Having seen a couple of bass now, I felt confident that there were fish to be had, but my time was rapidly running out, and the tide was rapidly flooding in. Moving off my rocky perch to avoid being trapped by the tide I made my way closer to the beach and found another suitable vantage point to have a few last casts. First cast out and the telltale tap, tap, whack of a wrasse! He put up a decent scrap, taking a few yards of line from the reel before coming up in the water and onto the rocks.

P1gJsdM.jpg

Love it when a plan comes together! Job done, and with time running out I headed home for a beer and barbecue while watching the sun go down.

J1DhZmp.jpg

I have been planning to fish just west of there for years but never got there..... nice wrasse great report!

It's an amazing coastline all along there - so many micro-marks and vantage points to stand and cast a lure or a worm under a float from, before moving on to try the next rock or bay. It would take a lifetime to really learn how to fish that coastline properly. I've been fishing it on and off for years and I reckon I haven't even scratched the surface. So much more to learn.

Good effort in a short window and a cracking looking wrasse. Are BFM's not a bit expensive for wrasse to rip to bits?
Yes, they are. The one in my report happened to be a factory body but often I use my own - a while ago I made a mould of the FBM body and poured myself a load of home made versions that cost pennies.

Factory body at the top, mine underneath.

kmA3HOn.jpg

pMMBw1B.jpg

Those imitations of yours are pretty good there mate, nice idea making your own moulds, how do you go about it if you don’t mind me asking?
Thanks. I use RTV silicone to make the mould itself. Get a flat surface, e.g. a spare floor tile, and superglue the body upside down onto the tile. Then build up the sides of the mould (I used the kids' Duplo bricks for this). Then coat everything with a release agent - I used vaseline brushed onto the body, walls and sides of the mould. Then mix up the RTV (mix it slowly to reduce air bubbles) and pour it gently into the mould cavity, including the belly cavity of the body. Leave for 24 hours to set. Remove the bricks etc and you'll have a top pour mould that you then pour the molten lure plastic into.

I don't have my FBM mould with me just now (in storage ready for a house move) but when I unpack it I'll post up a pic of it and do a how-to on making top pour moulds - I have a jelly worm and a Savage Gear sandeel mould somewhere too.

PA6Wy3A.jpg

In the meantime here's a step by step guide for another mould I made: How to design and make soft plastic lure moulds - this one's a two part mould for a big body that goes with a 6oz lure head but the mould making principle is basically the same, except you don't need to make a buck as you're using the FBM body.

Last edited:
Yet my happy place sea fishing wise is magazine lane in Southampton, a rather busy shipping port! I obviously need to get out more!

Back