• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South West Macks in the mist

Plaicehunter

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Lure
Plymouth Sound was blanketed in freezing fog this morning as I set off in search of mackerel.
I lost my bearings once or twice, and was shocked by ghostly figure apparently walking on water.
It was a paddle boarder taking a breather!
I eventually emerged from the gloom to find a cluster of small boats gathered off the Royal Western Yacht Club.
I joined the throng and we all caught mackerel until they suddenly disappeared.
With 20 in the bucket, all caught on sabikis and a mini pirk, I headed up the Tamar in search of whiting and maybe a cod.
It was a lovely sunny day once the fog had lifted, and I enjoyed myself catching around 20 whiting, keeping just two.
No cod showed, but there was some variety in the form of a hermit crab and a sizeable edible crab, both of which were returned.
Not a spectacular day but a very enjoyable one with plenty of action.
No driving was involved, as I live just a short walk and an even shorter row from my boat, so Boris would approve! PH

Attachments

• IMG_20210110_101345.jpg
    IMG_20210110_101345.jpg
    307.9 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20210110_133803.jpg
    IMG_20210110_133803.jpg
    627.9 KB · Views: 15
I'm amazed there are still mackerel to be found....is it normal they're here in January?

I'm amazed there are still mackerel to be found....is it normal they're here in January?
Here in Plymouth we often get mackerel through the winter, and I had a garfish while float-fishing two days ago in a biting East wind!
We also get runs of herring and pilchards at times.
Although Tamar shore marks are limited due to seven miles of dockyard, all these species are caught from the shore at times.
I'm very lucky to live within easy walking distance of several famous marks and even closer to my boat and a ragworm bed in Stonehouse Pool. PH

Well done on the Whiting & Mackerel , shame nothing bigger was about, but I bet all that lot kept you busy and warm.

Plymouth Sound was blanketed in freezing fog this morning as I set off in search of mackerel.
I lost my bearings once or twice, and was shocked by ghostly figure apparently walking on water.
It was a paddle boarder taking a breather!
I eventually emerged from the gloom to find a cluster of small boats gathered off the Royal Western Yacht Club.
I joined the throng and we all caught mackerel until they suddenly disappeared.
With 20 in the bucket, all caught on sabikis and a mini pirk, I headed up the Tamar in search of whiting and maybe a cod.
It was a lovely sunny day once the fog had lifted, and I enjoyed myself catching around 20 whiting, keeping just two.
No cod showed, but there was some variety in the form of a hermit crab and a sizeable edible crab, both of which were returned.
Not a spectacular day but a very enjoyable one with plenty of action.
No driving was involved, as I live just a short walk and an even shorter row from my boat, so Boris would approve! PH
Great report PH and well done on the Mackerel! Must have been a bit eerie out on the water in that fog! ??

Great report PH and well done on the Mackerel! Must have been a bit eerie out on the water in that fog! ??
On the NE Scottish coast we get something called a Harr. Nasty sea mist which appears out of nowhere an scares the hebejebies out of me when I'm at sea. The Rig support boats are way bigger than mine :oops:

I've had the mist come in suddenly off the Devon coast years ago before GPS, plotters & sounders! My mate (his boat) and me did wonder a few times if we were going to find the river mouth to head for home!

Sounds idyllic, I really fish I could have been there (y)

Back