• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

North Wales Making the most of the weather.

Andy 1965

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Lure
My original plan for last night was a rock fishing session with dirty bait, but with my appetite well and truly wetted following Tuesdays moderate success on the lures, it seemed a shame to waste the chance of a return visit on another lovely calm and sunny evening ?. I arrived at the mark to find a slight Westerly breeze blowing, and though the air temperature was lower than on Tuesday, 9.5°C compared to 11.0°C, the water temperature was over a degree higher, 10.3°C compared to 9.1°C, so I felt a lot more comfortable as I waded out into the shallows. The water clarity was also excellent, so I immediately felt confident of some fishy action.

With the flood just getting underway, I didn’t expect much to happen just yet but I positioned myself where I could cover the water as it passed over a patch of rocks, slightly shallower than the surrounding area and where I hoped the bass would be lying in ambush. To begin with I was encouraged by the sight of baitfish scattering across the surface, as they were startled by my lure passing through them, but my initial optimism began to wane as my lure failed to attract the interest of anything bigger.

For the first couple of hours I saw no action at all, but when the angler fishing just along the shore from me caught a bass, I immediately felt better about my chances :). I fished on with renewed optimism, changing lures on a regular basis, but despite trying a variety of hard and soft plastics which usually produce for me early in the season, I didn’t get any takes.

Now the bites on Tuesday had been very finicky, with lots of takes missed, so in case the same thing happened again I had packed an extra lure in the shape of the Xorus Frosty. I hoped that being a bit more subtle than the torpedo which is the Patch II, it might encourage the bass to be bit more committed in the attack. Eventually, over an hour since my neighbour had caught his first bass, I had my answer as the Frosty was smashed without warning! ? It wasn’t a particularly big fish, but the fight was still an enjoyable one and a minute or two later it was all over, as I landed my prize. A nice, fin perfect bar of silver :giggle:.
Bass_5_2021.jpg

Though it was still relatively early in the tide, I hoped that it was just the start of the night’s action and I got back to the hunt ASAP, but like my neighbours’ earlier catch, it appeared that the fish was a loner and no more takes were forthcoming. In fact it was to be over an hour before the next piece of action, when it came though, the next bite was followed soon after by take number 3, bringing my total for the evening up to 3 bass, my best session of the season so far ?.
Bass_6_2021.jpg

Bass_7_2021.jpg

After my all too brief success, it was my neighbours turn now and over the next 90 minutes he landed another 5 bass ?, while I could only watch and hope they would also find my lure at some point. It wasn’t ignored completely though, and I did belatedly manage to catch my fourth bass of the evening to double my total for the year
Bass_8_2021.jpg

but apart from that, my luck seemed to have run out. As well as missing several more takes, I did briefly connect with something which felt a half decent size, it even managed to take a small amount of line off against the drag, but it wasn’t to be and after a moment or two it threw the hook ?.

With a 7 O’clock alarm set for work this morning, my initial plan was to be on the road and on my way home by 1 at the very latest but with bass on the feed, I couldn’t tear myself away and in the end it was nearer 1:45 by the time I set off for home ?.

So that’s the bass taken care of for another week and tomorrow night my thoughts turn to rays and huss again, when I’ll be hoping for better luck than I had last weekend ?, so watch this space ?.

Back