• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Match Fishing.

goose

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Not fished a sea match for over twenty five years but considering taking it up. My current sea tackle is limited to a pair of TTSM rods which would be suitable and I have two sets of reels with fifteen and twenty pound line but I have an itch to go fixed spool with braid and do own a penn tidal with forty pound spider wire stealth smooth and hundred pound leader that I have been playing with. Anyway thinking of buying a dedicated rod for this as the matches are one rod only and some only allow two hook rigs. Tempted to go for a longer rod like the century T700/T800 for it's ease of use , don't want use the TTSM as I love them for my pleasure fishing and don't want to hammer one match fishing . The any fish GBFS has been recommended by a dealer but from what I've read it's a more powerful rod and less forgiving to cast . What would you guys recommend and why ? Will be fishing mainly clean to mixed ground from pevensey bay to Southampton.

Not fished a sea match for over twenty five years but considering taking it up. My current sea tackle is limited to a pair of TTSM rods which would be suitable and I have two sets of reels with fifteen and twenty pound line but I have an itch to go fixed spool with braid and do own a penn tidal with forty pound spider wire stealth smooth and hundred pound leader that I have been playing with. Anyway thinking of buying a dedicated rod for this as the matches are one rod only and some only allow two hook rigs. Tempted to go for a longer rod like the century T700/T800 for it's ease of use , don't want use the TTSM as I love them for my pleasure fishing and don't want to hammer one match fishing . The any fish GBFS has been recommended by a dealer but from what I've read it's a more powerful rod and less forgiving to cast . What would you guys recommend and why ? Will be fishing mainly clean to mixed ground from pevensey bay to Southampton.
When the weather is settled I use a 2-5oz 12 ft bass rod. works for me (y)

I was a dedicated match angler when i was younger. club and open matches loved it at first. then i became robotised. i just fished to win the enjoyment side was slowly dissapearing. to the point winning was more important than the actual fishing.. some match anglers say winning isn't important " bolocks " think twice before spending your money i dont fish any competitions these days. but give it a try.
d.s.j. 🦀
I don't do matches DSJ, only fish for pleasure and maybe something for dinner.

When you look at the Penn league, it's the same old faces at the top, these blokes don't do anything else but match fish, feckin boring, they don't actually fish like we do, they clock watch, and for what a Trophy and a few quid and bragging rights. I would think there are better anglers out there that don't do comp or league fishing. JMO.

Ian.

No match angler Goose but if you are looking at FS and braid would a 15ft conti type rod not be better?

The T700 I believe is a 15ft conti style rod ?
Have a look at the new 14' Fireblade GT's, hybrid rung, so good for mangles... (y)

Ian.

When you look at the Penn league, it's the same old faces at the top, these blokes don't do anything else but match fish, feckin boring, they don't actually fish like we do, they clock watch, and for what a Trophy and a few quid and bragging rights. I would think there are better anglers out there that don't do comp or league fishing. JMO.

Ian.
Same with a lot of sports though and I definitely won't be like that, for me it's more for a laugh and the social side of it if that still exists.

Back