• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

maxima as a hook length

Used the 8 and 10lbs for barbel and chub hooklinks and works fine for me but not tried the higher strengths,can't see it being a problem though .

Any one tried maxima in 20lb as a hook length for lighter fishing , how did you find it.
Tom Bagnal, Christchurch Angling Centre, ties a lot of his rigs on you tube with maxima.
I have not used it in the sea other than for spinning traces in clear 10lb/12lb, but all of my freshwater nylon is maxima up to 20lb for early and late fly fishing and spinning with eithet big tobies or tube flies.
I find it very robust and reliable.
In fact if I think back I will have been using it 51 years now, I had a bit of a daliance with Drennan sub-surface and still use a bit of fluoro but the mainstay is maxima.
If you have a hunt about it is available in 50m spools for about £4, trial size.

Last edited:
I use it for fly fishing leaders up to 5lb, not had any problems although I have to degrease first; not for dry flies in season. For sea fishing I use Diawa Sensor mono.

Back