• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

MENTAL HEALTH / THAT TIME OF YEAR - WE CAN DO BETTER

CKB

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
DO WE NEED TO TAKE A LONG HARD LOOK AT OURSELVES?
As a habit, I spend as little time as possible keeping up with anglers' social media pages, though I am following hundreds or even thousands, mostly in the UK. This week, I have had others point out the sheer volume of negativity and moaning going on across the board. And I have the following cautionary words.
SunsetGuillot-1009 best.jpg
Negativity breeds negativity; it is infectious. We define how we perceive the world and how we conduct ourselves. A quote I have used before from, a famous psychologist is: "If we behave in a malevolent way, and everyone does that, the place we live is truly hell." Social media is part of our lives, it is the new town square.
Dostoevsky, the famous novelist, once said something like: "Everyone is responsible for everything that happens to everyone else." On one level, it seems absurd, but on another, it is true. As much as we think that our individual actions don't matter, they do. Your words can reach a billion people these days. So think about them carefully and the impact you want to have.

I understand the economy is shot due to quantitative easing (the printing of money), and hyperinflation; most of us are around 15% poorer. The West seems to be in a perpetual state of chaos. War and civil conflict is tearing parts of the world apart. We've just had a pandemic and lost people. The temptation to be negative is great. Almost all of that is outside of our control. Is there anything more important than our health, and the health of the friends and family that we love? Perhaps things aren't so bad. Maybe we have lots to be grateful for? Switch the news off if it's affecting your psyche, you'll feel better.
We have an epidemic of mental health issues in the UK. Perhaps lots of people need your positivity, support and encouragement? It takes just a few words to make someone feel better about themselves. Instead of staying silent when someone catches a nice fish, say something nice, instead of picking at it or finding a way to criticise them? Your words can change their lives.

We are now at that time of year where every year I see social media become septic, so negative. People aren't able to get out fishing. Less sun equals less vitamin D, and less serotonin, one of the happy chemicals released in the brain. Whether we realise it or not, we feel down and often more negative. You can supplement this or just make an effort to get half an hour of sun when it does infrequently show. Exercise releases it too. This will improve your mood and health. I notice my own mood drop at this time of year, and if I don't take supplements, it lasts until spring. This is another reason why we can be negative to others. People don't even realise that their mindset has changed.

Diet and sleep also have big parts to play concerning our moods. If we are not sleeping well, and eating food that isn't nutritious, consuming lots of sugar, it's going to mess with our mood. I see this in myself. We need protein, vitamins and minerals to function properly and maintain a healthy mind.

If we're fishing less, some of us are drinking more. Alcohol is a depressant, and the downside leaves people extremely low. Gut health and mental health are intrinsically linked. It takes 3 days for your gut microbe biome to return to normal after drinking alcohol. Different people exhibit symptoms in different ways, some feel so low and like giving up, and others become moody and abusive. All of your fellow anglers love this sport like you do. Don't use social media as a platform to abuse or diminish your fellow anglers. If you're in that state, be aware, go for a walk, get some air, and stay off social media if it's triggering you.
Let us examine our own actions and work toward being positive, encouraging and helping others. Most of us can do much better. Manners and kindness cost us nothing.
#AtlanticDriftFishing

Good post. I know I suffer wither the old winter depression some what. As eluded to in your post I stop the alcohol during winter which in turn improves my diet. I have kefir year round for the old gut flora and have already commenced my seasonal vitD intake. But still it’s a tough old slog.

Personally I seem to see a little mental lift once we pass the winter solstice

Good post. I know I suffer wither the old winter depression some what. As eluded to in your post I stop the alcohol during winter which in turn improves my diet. I have kefir year round for the old gut flora and have already commenced my seasonal vitD intake. But still it’s a tough old slog.

Cheers Ollie. People will debate this but, 10,000 iE Vit D is available from brands like Thorne Research, you have K2 for absorption (essential). It makes a huge difference vs 1000 or 3000 IU which is typically sold. I only take it in winter, or if coming down with something.

Just go fishing….. it is its own anti depressant with no side effects .

It seems these days that pumping whatever into your system is an accepted way of artificially changing your mental / physical perceptions of things . Sometimes people just need to get a grip of themselves.

Too much analysis and not enough JUST DO IT IMO.

Dave

It seems these days that pumping whatever into your system is an accepted way of artificially changing your mental / physical perceptions of things . Sometimes people just need to get a grip of themselves.

Dave
Agreed Dave. There is a lot to be said for good vitamin D levels though. Something I didn’t appreciate until I was diagnosed with a condition that relies on it to help my body absorb calcium, because it doesn’t do it very well on its own.
But despite taking the supplements in winter, and bloods showing my levels are high, I’ve found supplements are no substitute for sunlight generated vitamin D and I feel so much better in summer compared with winter.
Not necessarily mentally, though longer term it can have an effect, makes me irritable/a bit low, but more physically ie I get more symptoms from the condition, muscle pain, joint pain, various things.

All that said, I do agree with you that too many people do spend too long analysing and navel gazing these days, rather than as you say, just getting out and doing stuff.
That’s not to downplay genuine mental health issues, though I guess it’s all mental health to a degree, but I have noticed society generally doesn’t seem to have as much mental toughness these days, even just in the past 20-30 years, if that.

I hear and read so much ‘I can’t do this because’ or ‘I can’t go out because’ and people seem to give into it quite quickly.
Yes it’s a cliche to say ‘pull yourself together’ but equally that is the only thing that will help people move forward again.
I think there’s too much enabling now with all the ‘it’s okay to feel that way, no pressure’ approach to mental health, which is true in that it’s not their fault, but it also gives people the green light and endorsement to sit at home and not try, imo.
Which isn’t to say people should be thrust into situations that are deeply uncomfortable and stressful to them, but they should be encouraged to push their comfort zone (wherever that is for them) and achieve/do a bit more day by day, week by week.

I guess my meaning is I do think we coddle people too much now - as with many modern things, it’s gone from zero support to (imo) too much of the wrong support. One extreme to the other.

Just my late night ramblings on it. I do agree with much of Chris’s first post in that people should get out more and be less negative in their outlook. Taking vitamin D supplements certainly won’t hurt, though 10,000iu is a huge dose, but you will pee out what you don’t store and as an occasional dose I don’t think it’s an issue.

I also agree with you that ‘just do it’ is often the best remedy.
The amount of times I’ve dragged myself fishing, could barely be bothered to get out of a warm car the other end, but then an hour or two later stood on a dark beach looking at the stars, feel much more energised, refreshed and so glad I went.
Then there’s the odd session where I’m soaked to the skin, dragged in enough weed to feed a tribe of vegans and wished I’d stayed in bed (but we won’t mention those… 😒)

Some very good points made by @CKB.
Other than TSF (which I suppose is a form of social media), I hate Farcebook with a passion, and whilst I used to use Twatter quite a lot (before being on here) I only follow 2 Anglers on there, both of whom I know fairly well from their Youtube channels.
I try to encourage, not criticise, apart from the occasional bit of banter!
For me, the poor weather, shorter days and being unable to get out due to health problems has a bigger effect on me than social media.
In fact, when I can't get out, it is often cathartic to be able to see and enjoy other peoples success via TSF.

Dave
Whilst I agree Dave I have three young children and a full time job so for the time being I have pretty much zero free time for myself so that theory is impossible for me at present

Some very good points made by @CKB.
Other than TSF (which I suppose is a form of social media), I hate Farcebook with a passion, and whilst I used to use Twatter quite a lot (before being on here) I only follow 2 Anglers on there, both of whom I know fairly well from their Youtube channels.
I try to encourage, not criticise, apart from the occasional bit of banter!
For me, the poor weather, shorter days and being unable to get out due to health problems has a bigger effect on me than social media.
In fact, when I can't get out, it is often cathartic to be able to see and enjoy other peoples success via TSF.
I don’t mind Facebook but tbh I rarely post anything fishing related on there. Or indeed rarely post in my own right anyway.

Occasionally if I know the answer I’ll post a reply on a help request thread, but any catch reports I do go on here.
Not so much because I don’t want people knowing marks - it’s not difficult to take a pic that doesn’t give away the mark, but I just don’t feel the need to post that on Facebook.

Also I’d expect if I did ever post a good fish up, I’d get bombarded with messages asking where I caught it, and can’t be bothered with that.

DO WE NEED TO TAKE A LONG HARD LOOK AT OURSELVES?
As a habit, I spend as little time as possible keeping up with anglers' social media pages, though I am following hundreds or even thousands, mostly in the UK. This week, I have had others point out the sheer volume of negativity and moaning going on across the board. And I have the following cautionary words.
View attachment 52800
Negativity breeds negativity; it is infectious. We define how we perceive the world and how we conduct ourselves. A quote I have used before from, a famous psychologist is: "If we behave in a malevolent way, and everyone does that, the place we live is truly hell." Social media is part of our lives, it is the new town square.
Dostoevsky, the famous novelist, once said something like: "Everyone is responsible for everything that happens to everyone else." On one level, it seems absurd, but on another, it is true. As much as we think that our individual actions don't matter, they do. Your words can reach a billion people these days. So think about them carefully and the impact you want to have.

I understand the economy is shot due to quantitative easing (the printing of money), and hyperinflation; most of us are around 15% poorer. The West seems to be in a perpetual state of chaos. War and civil conflict is tearing parts of the world apart. We've just had a pandemic and lost people. The temptation to be negative is great. Almost all of that is outside of our control. Is there anything more important than our health, and the health of the friends and family that we love? Perhaps things aren't so bad. Maybe we have lots to be grateful for? Switch the news off if it's affecting your psyche, you'll feel better.
We have an epidemic of mental health issues in the UK. Perhaps lots of people need your positivity, support and encouragement? It takes just a few words to make someone feel better about themselves. Instead of staying silent when someone catches a nice fish, say something nice, instead of picking at it or finding a way to criticise them? Your words can change their lives.

We are now at that time of year where every year I see social media become septic, so negative. People aren't able to get out fishing. Less sun equals less vitamin D, and less serotonin, one of the happy chemicals released in the brain. Whether we realise it or not, we feel down and often more negative. You can supplement this or just make an effort to get half an hour of sun when it does infrequently show. Exercise releases it too. This will improve your mood and health. I notice my own mood drop at this time of year, and if I don't take supplements, it lasts until spring. This is another reason why we can be negative to others. People don't even realise that their mindset has changed.

Diet and sleep also have big parts to play concerning our moods. If we are not sleeping well, and eating food that isn't nutritious, consuming lots of sugar, it's going to mess with our mood. I see this in myself. We need protein, vitamins and minerals to function properly and maintain a healthy mind.

If we're fishing less, some of us are drinking more. Alcohol is a depressant, and the downside leaves people extremely low. Gut health and mental health are intrinsically linked. It takes 3 days for your gut microbe biome to return to normal after drinking alcohol. Different people exhibit symptoms in different ways, some feel so low and like giving up, and others become moody and abusive. All of your fellow anglers love this sport like you do. Don't use social media as a platform to abuse or diminish your fellow anglers. If you're in that state, be aware, go for a walk, get some air, and stay off social media if it's triggering you.
Let us examine our own actions and work toward being positive, encouraging and helping others. Most of us can do much better. Manners and kindness cost us nothing.
#AtlanticDriftFishing
So what's it's like to be a social worker then? :unsure::ROFLMAO:

Agreed Dave. There is a lot to be said for good vitamin D levels though. Something I didn’t appreciate until I was diagnosed with a condition that relies on it to help my body absorb calcium, because it doesn’t do it very well on its own.
But despite taking the supplements in winter, and bloods showing my levels are high, I’ve found supplements are no substitute for sunlight generated vitamin D and I feel so much better in summer compared with winter.
I have found out that orally taken vit D [preferably vit D3+K2 as you probably already know] has quite a journey through a number of your organs until it gets where it's meant to go.

I take These as it provides a high level [4000IU] of D3 WITH appropriate Calcium uptake 3 months worth 7.55. As to the rest Centrum 50+ or any other [cheaper] generic multivitamin.

I find the Sunday blues terrible as we go in to winter as well. The thought of work tomorrow is crap
What is this work thingy? I retired over 10 years ago, although I do remember it :unsure:;)

LRF wish I'd have taken it up earlier, when I turned 50 2 years ago I went harder on myself really pushed it on foot for work carrying tools and getting daily shopping. My general fitness stamina and mental health has greatly improved, I still ache like fuck sometimes but pushing myself has been really for fishing especially LRF.

I have found out that orally taken vit D [preferably vit D3+K2 as you probably already know] has quite a journey through a number of your organs until it gets where it's meant to go.

I take These as it provides a high level [4000IU] of D3 WITH appropriate Calcium uptake 3 months worth 7.55. As to the rest Centrum 50+ or any other [cheaper] generic multivitamin.
Yep I take an active D3, prescription only, which is more of a hormone tbh.
It’s a bit complicated…

Yeah, even at 56.4451° N the closing nights are already taking a toll. Must be an age thing.
Oh to be a viking and embrace the old Norse gods of ice and darkness!
No wonder they were half round the twist!! :LOL:

Back