• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

mini long line

I was going to reply to your original post and say great idea, but having read down through I see you did try it, and unfortunately drew a blank. I see nothing wrong with any aspect of it - good on ya! Perhaps give it a few more goes before you write the idea off? You've made the gear now, just as well put it to use! ??

I was going to reply to your original post and say great idea, but having read down through I see you did try it, and unfortunately drew a blank. I see nothing wrong with any aspect of it - good on ya! Perhaps give it a few more goes before you write the idea off? You've made the gear now, just as well put it to use! ??
Totally agree.

I really wish I lived closer to the beach as I would love to try this out to get a few dabs for the freezer.

yeah probably will I'll update here if i do it again ...could be tonight if i get bored lol

yeah probably will I'll update here if i do it again ...could be tonight if i get bored lol

It's something I used to do quite a lot when I was younger, with some success on occasion. It seemed to be very good or very bad. I often went out to find baits untouched on all hooks, or if I had caught, it was often on several hooks.

A couple of tips, learnt from experience.
1. Make sure you have staked the line securely at both ends. I used to hammer wooden stakes into the sand and then put a few rocks around the base of the stake to stop it getting washed (or pulled) out. Be careful though not to put rocks directly on top of any line as a few barnacles will soon cut it. Sand over the first foot or so from the post.

2. Make sure you use a strong base line or at least use snoods that are weaker than the base line, or you might find it gone if something decent comes along. (Like a conger)

3. Depending on on the length of your line, think about pegging it in the middle. The fish don't seem to pick up baits that are waving around mid water.

4. If you can't wait until the incoming tide covers your baits, cover them. I used to use a large half mussel shell for small baits or a piece of seaweed for bigger bait.

5. If you are going to mark the location with a plastic bottle or similar, put it at least 10 feet away from your first hook. The fish don't seem to like the rushing sounds caused by the water on the bottle.

I hope you catch.

I never used pegs for anchoring down just a square piece if wood with holes in the middle yoyu could Bury it 10 inches deep and try pulling it. It wouldn't budge and was a lot easier to carry?

I am going to try it if i get chance.
In estuary that fills with the tide.
There is a river running through it with channel that always has water in and not deep, set it on the low tide and check on next one as the river is there any catch will always be in water.
Bass, flatties and mullet are there so you never know, well worth a try.

I am going to try it if i get chance.
In estuary that fills with the tide.
There is a river running through it with channel that always has water in and not deep, set it on the low tide and check on next one as the river is there any catch will always be in water.
Bass, flatties and mullet are there so you never know, well worth a try.
Best to check first if you are allowed to do it in tidal rivers, lay lines in my river areas are a no no.

Best to check first if you are allowed to do it in tidal rivers, lay lines in my river areas are a no no.
Who would you check with?
The whole area is tidal.
Must be a certain point of change

I know of another estuary where there is a defined line that on one side you need rod licence but the other it is sea.

Who would you check with?
The whole area is tidal.
Must be a certain point of change

I know of another estuary where there is a defined line that on one side you need rod licence but the other it is sea.
Tidal rivers you don't need a license if you are catching or fishing for sea fish. Flatties, mullet, bass etc.
All I know is in my area you are not allowed to use lay lines, pots or gill nets. Perhaps a google search might help clarify things for your area.

Tidal rivers you don't need a license if you are catching or fishing for sea fish. Flatties, mullet, bass etc.
All I know is in my area you are not allowed to use lay lines, pots or gill nets. Perhaps a google search might help clarify things for your area.
You definitely need a rod licence on rivers even if they are tidal no matter what you are fishing for.
There will be a defined point where it changes from needing a licence though, that is the problem knowing where it actually is.

You definitely need a rod licence on rivers even if they are tidal no matter what you are fishing for.
There will be a defined point where it changes from needing a licence though, that is the problem knowing where it actually is.
Not for tidal rivers, I have a trout includes fresh water license so all good. I don't fish much on fresh water rivers, if you can't eat (sizeable of course) it I don't bother catching it.

Not for tidal rivers, I have a trout includes fresh water license so all good. I don't fish much on fresh water rivers, if you can't eat (sizeable of course) it I don't bother catching it.
There is/must definitely be a line/point where a change in a tidal river becomes classed as sea (meaning you do not need licence) and you can fish it without rod licence, but on the other side you most certainly need licence even if you say you are only fishing for sea fish.

Edit; Just had a quick glance through advice about this and yes some are saying that you can target sea fish in a tidal river, but are also saying that it is unclear where some define the exact line.

Last edited:
I would be Carefull putting a line down in a tidal river! You might have problems with people thinking your messing with salmon/seatrout.
Where i would be doing it should be ok.

I'll say i am looking for my buried ground chains. :LOL::LOL:

Certainly sea trout there as well, :whistle::whistle: but would not target them;);)

Lol just be Carefull!
It is in an area of the club i am in, just looking on the sssi info as to why it is classed as that there.

Edit; someone said you are not to dig for worms there but we are laying ground chains for moorings so again a bit odd

scores on the doors a big fat 0
strange as half the baits were untouched .. would of been unusual to blank there if I'd fished the tide with rod n line ...sure fish were nearby maybe bait washed out quickly but who knows .
Hooks to high maybe? I would have thought hooks on the seabed would do better

Back