• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Minimum size limits

DJDBazzer

Reaction score
Hi all.

I was always under the impression that it was a criminal offence to keep undersized fish, but a couple of websites suggest otherwise...

"In general, it is accepted that there are no minimum sizes for keeping fish for sea anglers, although this can only be tested in court. The EU publishes a list of minimum landing sizes for commercial fisheries that cover the main species of interest for this sector."

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to go and catch a bucket load of undersized bass, but the rare occasion I want to cook my catch, I don't necessarily want to keep a good size bass when I am only feeding myself, and I don't have a fridge to preserve whatever I don't eat.

Thoughts?

This....

Retaining undersized fish is a criminal offence in the UK, and any angler found in possession of undersized fish is liable to prosecution. Selected species that are commonly caught and retained by UK anglers have the following minimum size limits:

Hi all.

I was always under the impression that it was a criminal offence to keep undersized fish, but a couple of websites suggest otherwise...

"In general, it is accepted that there are no minimum sizes for keeping fish for sea anglers, although this can only be tested in court. The EU publishes a list of minimum landing sizes for commercial fisheries that cover the main species of interest for this sector."

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to go and catch a bucket load of undersized bass, but the rare occasion I want to cook my catch, I don't necessarily want to keep a good size bass when I am only feeding myself, and I don't have a fridge to preserve whatever I don't eat.

Thoughts?
I am of the same impression as you and thought MLS applied to recreational anglers too?

A lot of the Minimum size limits for Fish are less than they ought to be. I've seen many good anglers saying as much.
MLS for Pollack is 30cm, and at that size, I've read they won't even have spawned once.
If I'm going to catch something for the table, I want it to be big enough to make a meal. Can't be doing with trying to fillet Goldfish!
As for storing fish, I Vacuum pack it & freeze it if I'm not going to eat it that day. Vacuum packing preserves meat & fish much better.

Having said all that, I often see Bass fillets in the shops landed by commercials, that could never have been 42cms when caught.
No idea how the commercials get away with it.

A lot of the Minimum size limits for Fish are less than they ought to be. I've seen many good anglers saying as much.
MLS for Pollack is 30cm, and at that size, I've read they won't even have spawned once.
If I'm going to catch something for the table, I want it to be big enough to make a meal. Can't be doing with trying to fillet Goldfish!
As for storing fish, I Vacuum pack it & freeze it if I'm not going to eat it that day. Vacuum packing preserves meat & fish much better.

Having said all that, I often see Bass fillets in the shops landed by commercials, that could never have been 42cms when caught.
No idea how the commercials get away with it.
Is a lot of shop bass not farmed stuff hence the smaller size?

Is a lot of shop bass not farmed stuff hence the smaller size?
Not sure Thrash, but one would think that common sense and the MLS should still apply. Farmed or not, they should still be allowed to grow to a reasonable size.

Prob get round it by the fact it’s farmed a lot of it comes from Egypt and the med so probably got different if any mls rules. But then find bass overrated rather a bream fillet 😊

Don’t IFCA police “illegal” angling?
I have been asked what was in the bucket a few times in the past…
There also this google result

“All anglers should be aware of the minimum sizes for fish species – it is an offence to take fish which are below the minimum size and anglers caught doing this can face prosecution.”
View attachment 58720
https://britishseafishing.co.uk › sea-...

https://www.google.com/url?q=https://britishseafishing.co.uk/sea-fishing-anglers-rights-and-the-magna-carta/#:~:text=All%20anglers%20should%20be%20aware,doing%20this%20can%20face%20prosecution.&sa=U&ved=2ahUKEwik0ZO8xZGEAxVvS0EAHWzPDegQFnoECA0QBQ&usg=AOvVaw2vGRDIEcyqOjIglwtJEjz2

Is this applicable?

Feedback
So what about joeys for bait, legal or illegal.

So what about joeys for bait, legal or illegal.
Read this elsewhere.

Live Baiting isn't Illegal. However, what is Illegal, is retaining undersize fish on the boat wether you are using them for Bait or not. In the case of Mackerel, if your caught with them on the boat, even in a Livebait Tank and they are under 30cm, you are liable to be prosecuted.

Read this elsewhere.

Live Baiting isn't Illegal. However, what is Illegal, is retaining undersize fish on the boat wether you are using them for Bait or not. In the case of Mackerel, if your caught with them on the boat, even in a Livebait Tank and they are under 30cm, you are liable to be prosecuted.
Seems odd that you can buy undersize macks for bait then unless they are bycatch

Seems odd that you can buy undersize macks for bait then unless they are bycatch
More confusion but I'm sure round Devon way into Ireland they can keep any size mackeral where as its 27 or 30cm in the South and East coasts .

More confusion but I'm sure round Devon way into Ireland they can keep any size mackeral where as its 27 or 30cm in the South and East coasts .

20cms down here.

1707060060994.png

Back