• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

North Wales Mission conger 2021/22 – Part 1. Haven’t we been here before?

Andy 1965

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Lure
With the lazy summer evenings nothing more than a distant memory, and after 8 months of chucking bits of plastic at silver things, I decided this week that it was time to turn my attention to another quarry. Before I started my annual, and so far fruitless hunt for Congerzilla though, I decided first to try and top up the freezer, so I headed for the West coast of the island in search of the coalies, which had recently begun to show there. Conditions on arrival at my chosen mark looked good, with a moderate onshore wind blowing and a decent surf rolling up the beach, but sadly my first-choice spot was already taken. I wasn’t about to be put off though, and I soon found another likely looking place nearby. This mark consisted of some flat rocks, from where I was able to cast onto the clean sand. This would still allow me to anchor my baits just behind the breakers, where I hoped the hungry diners would be hunting.

My baits for the evening were frozen black lug and crab, along with some sandeel, mackerel and squid, so I was hopeful of some decent sport, but when the first rattle came 10 minutes after casting out, I knew straight away that it wasn’t my intended target. Sure enough, a few minutes later I reeled in the first whiting of the evening (y).
Whiting 16th Nov.jpg

With the blank at least beaten on the very first cast I fished on, hoping that the next bite would be a lot bouncier ?, but it wasn’t to be and over the next 4 hours I could only catch another 4 whiting. Eventually, with the tide ebbing fast and the water getting shallower by the minute, I called it a night on my first dirty bait session of winter 2021/22.

After easing myself gently back into it, next up was the main event and on Thursday night I made my way to the top of the island in search of that elusive, or some would say mythical beastie, Congerzilla. My chosen mark was one where I’ve never actually fished before, but I have it on good authority that there are some big eels to be had there, so I was feeling quite optimistic. In fact, I was feeling so confident that I even brought Steve O along for some company, and just in case I needed any help to land the beasts when I hooked them ?.

Conditions on our arrival were looking good, with a light breeze creating a moderate swell, which would at least put a bit of movement into the water. As always, the first rod out was for conger, this was rigged with a running ledger and baited with half a mackerel, impaled on an 8/0, which was then dropped close in. Next up the second rod was pressed into service to gather a supply of fresh bait. This was rigged with a 2-hook flapper, baited with a lug and squid cocktail on one hook and half a sandeel on the other, before it was whacked out to a good distance away from the rocks. Steve opted for similar tactics and we then sat back to wait.
Mission Conger Nov 18th 2021.jpg

It didn’t take long to get bites on the scratching gear and Steve was first to beat the blank with a small pouting, perfect conger bait ?. It took me a little longer before I also beat the blank with a whiting, not as good as pouting imho, but still a good bait for a variety of toothy critters.

Sadly, it wasn’t to be a successful season’s debut on the conger front and despite trying mackerel, squid, cuttlefish, herring, whiting and pouting we didn’t get a single run ?. Sport on the scratching was hardly any better and I could only manage 3 whiting, while Steve finished the evening with 2 dogs, 1 whiting and the pout.

Despite the lack of action, it was still an enjoyable evening spent in good company and its very early days yet in my conger hunt. I’ll be out on my quest again next week and with any luck, this time there will be a snake or two waiting for me ?.

good report, shame you didn't hit your target but you caught and made the effort. ? ?

Good effort mate. Its a time game, look forward to the next chapter.

Keep trying,lol you will probably end up catching a big cod on the conger line.

I've never deliberately targeted Congers as I'm not a fan of eels, but I've seen a fair few decent sized ones being caught right under the rod tip on commercial fish quays. Mackerel head and guts being the preferred bait.

Great report and pics as ever Andy. Been waiting for your Conger mission to restart, really enjoy reading you adventures after them as I've been after a decent eel off the island for a few years now without alot of luck.

I am thinking the same.... may as well go and get in a scrap with a big ol snake..... chilled out fishing 8/0 hooks commercial mono hooklength and wait for the drag to go whilst ignoring everything else. Cheap sesh too..... a few cuttle and some squid.

I am thinking the same.... may as well go and get in a scrap with a big ol snake..... chilled out fishing 8/0 hooks commercial mono hooklength and wait for the drag to go whilst ignoring everything else. Cheap sesh too..... a few cuttle and some squid.
Set the drag as light as you can.get away with, the bigguns are surprisingly shy if they feel resistance, you probably know that already.

I've never deliberately targeted Congers as I'm not a fan of eels, but I've seen a fair few decent sized ones being caught right under the rod tip on commercial fish quays. Mackerel head and guts being the preferred bait.
I could catch the bloody things in the bath ?

Back