• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South Coast MONSTER Bass and a Specimen Bull Huss

DJDBazzer

Reaction score
Hi all.
I've been out a couple of times recently, targeting blonde rays and bass, with little success,
I love my specimen hunting at this time of year but it does often mean a lot of effort with no reward.
However, sometimes, everything aligns, and this was the case on Friday when I made the grueling 2.2 mile walk to Mupe Bay, fully laden with cameras, sleeping gear etc etc.
It's not often that I struggle with this walk but for some reason it ruined me, to the point where I nearly threw up when I got to the top of the hill.

Snapshot_86.PNG

I haven't been out hiking or running in 3/4 weeks and I do tend to push myself pretty hard on these walks so probably a combination of the 2, plus the enormous hill, made the walk there a little unpleasant.
On arrival, the sea looked incredible, with a big surf on the exposed stretch of coast to my right, whereas I was out of the wind in calm conditions with the wind blocked by the cliff behind me.
As it got dark, the straps were out in force, and baits were lasting seconds, but I persevered.
Baits went from big to absolutely huge, in the hope that smaller eels would not be able to fit the bait in their mouths, and this seemed to work for a while.
Eventually, I hooked in to a better fish, an angry 9lb bull huss soon joined me on the beach.

Snapshot_85-1.jpg

A short while later, I had a screaming run on my triple squid bait before the line went slack. I pulled into a fish and could tell straight away it wasn't an eel.
As the fish approached, it darted from left to right. I timed my final heave to coincide with a wave, and when the water retreated, I was elated to see this stunning bass on the beach in front of me!
Weighing 11lb 2oz, this is a new PB.

Snapshot_82-1.jpg

Unfortunately, the fish did bleed out a little but after a few seconds in the water, it did eventually swim out, as you will see in this video.

An absolutely incredible night fishing on a remote beach in Dorset!

I can't wait for the next one! :)

Last edited:
Fabulous report and photos Dave as always. Lovely Huss, and well done on that stonking PB Bass! 🎣🎣👍👍

Usual applies - I'll catch up with the video when I get chance.

Great report as usual Bazzer, you do put in the effort mate, but well worth it looking at your Bass, nice one. Great pictures as always. 🎣 🎣

Ian.

Nicely done mate. Crackers there, I’ll have a watch later 👍👍

Cheers mate, hope you enjoy!

Absolute stonking bass👏
I’ve yet to catch a double figure specimen, but always great when someone else does 👍
Never made it to Mupe, the tout is as far as I’ve been myself.

It's a long ol' way! It's my favourite beach at this time of year because you can guarantee that no one else will be there.
Still buzzing today

What a corker well done that man!!

Cheers bud :)

Cracking fish, nice session (y)

Cheers bud

Cracking fish.
Good training if you ever want to join the marines.

Haha that's very true

Fabulous report and photos Dave as always. Lovely Huss, and well done on that stonking PB Bass! 🎣🎣👍👍

Usual applies - I'll catch up with the video when I get chance.

No worries mate, I kept it as close to 10 mins as possible :p Hope you're good!

Absolute cracker of a bass👌

Proper porker haha

Pair of beasts there bey cracking bud aswell 👍👍

Cheers buddy! Worth the blanks definitely

Great report as usual Bazzer, you do put in the effort mate, but well worth it looking at your Bass, nice one. Great pictures as always. 🎣 🎣

Ian.

Haha cheers Ian. Ye that's fair to say! I do like a walk, and also fishing remote beaches that little is known about!
I found a sand bar on Friday so I am going to head down with worm baits soon and see what else I can find!

Well done Dave just Rewards for the hike and Effort 👍

Back