• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South West More lure fishing and a welcome first for the year

Flipper

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
On my recent gurnard trips I noticed there were loads of baitfish at the marks, nothing obviously hitting them, but, enough to make me think a dawn session would be good to try for bass. Down to the mark for 04:00 and it was stunning as ever, sadly no evidence of the baitfish, but, confidence was high that some bass would hit my surface lures. Well for an hour I fan cast and moved along the bay, changing lures to try and tempt a bass without joy. The slight gloom had long since been replaced by the beautiful sunrise and my confidence was at rock bottom. Desperate to catch something, a change to jigs was in order and within 2 casts I had a mackerel, quickly followed by many more and a little gurnard. However, on one cast I could feel the jig being hit on the drop through the water column and as it reached the deck it was taken by something different to the mackerel and gurnard. Fought really well for its size on the light gear and I landed my first scad of the year, which whilst not terribly exciting for most, it is a great fish for me as they fight hard on light gear, but, also normally mark the fun times are on there way for me as the whitebait will start to get hammered by scad, mackerel, gar and bass. Let’s hope the weather settles a little and the fun really does kick off.

1FA6EB71-15FC-4DFC-9E46-1D5B5DA65AA0.jpeg

Nice report & photo Flipper - you're certainly putting in the effort. 🎣🎣👍👍

Good one mate, nice pic too. 🎣 🎣

Ian.

I say .. you lot down south moan about how there are no fish down there.. but up here there’s no scad.. rays.. bass..doggies…bream.. rope ..or hounds.

I say .. you lot down south moan about how there are no fish down there.. but up here there’s no scad.. rays.. bass..doggies…bream.. rope ..or hounds.

No rope - what do you tie the Hosses up with Flaps? 🤔🤔 😂😂

I'll agree with you on Bream mate, but the rest can all be caught on the west coast of Scotland.

Back