• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South Coast More Reflections

PhilR

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Boat
Buoyed-up by previous successes and after hearing tales of legendary fish such as coalfish and rockling I ventured out to my local harbour to see if any more species could be added to my tally.

I had four targets in mind:
  • Pollack - I've seen them caught here so should be a formality...
  • Rockling (5 bearded) - I know they are about so just use small hooks and bait...
  • Flounder - There are reports of them so no reason why not...
  • Coalfish - Not really common on the south coast, but they have been caught, so maybe an outside chance...
I set up in daylight in a nice sheltered corner with its own benches for comfort. Half a pound of fresh ragworm should do the trick. Twin flattie rods with a size 6 Wessex rig, off we go then...

Not long after I was getting little nibbles. First fish was a small flounder. First mission accomplished!

SAM_2287.JPG

The next fish was a corkwing wrasse. He obviously hadn't read the script!
Then out came a tiny bass. I was almost too ashamed to photograph it and add it to my species thread. Almost...
Then as darkness fell I had a steady stream of pout, strap congers, more flounders, and another target, pollack.
Then along came yet another target, a five bearded rockling. I had two in quick succession before they disappeared. Cool! Things were starting to go the right way. Could I dare think about a coalfish?

Bait robbing crabs were becoming a nuisance, so I dangled one rod down the side, hoping that at least one bait would be out of crab reach. After a short while this rod was dancing around and being dragged along the rail. Clearly a decent fish was hooked and was charging around much like a rockling doesn't. I grabbed the rod and carefully swung in my prize. Yes! A coalfish and a pretty decent one too.

SAM_2295.JPG

I like it when a plan comes together. I got another one later to seal the deal.

A couple of other anglers had shown up and were taking an interest. Judging by their accents I guessed they were from some European country. It must have been a bit of a culture shock for them. I had to explain a few things:
  • A two-inch shore crab is in no way edible. A five inch pout may be edible but it does not make a worthwhile meal.
  • The tide goes in and out, so the lack of water will be rectified later.
  • Certain fish are seasonable. So their mackerel feathers in the dark, in the depths of winter, were probably not the best choice.
Anyway, as the evening wore on I decided to pack up. I gave my European friends the remainder of my ragworm and half a packet of size six Aberdeens.

My final tally was:
  • 4 flounders (new species, yeah!)
  • 1 bass (tiny but a new species)
  • 1 corkwing wrasse (he wasn't invited to the party)
  • 8 pout (inevitably)
  • 2 strap congers (these weren't invited either)
  • 5 pollack (new species, yeah!)
  • 2 five bearded rockling (new species, yeah!)
  • 2 coalfish (deep joy!)
So, a nice mix of species and all targets achieved.

Tight lines and thanks for reading.

Phil

Last edited:
A very good session there.

The Coalfish is a beautiful fish, so much nicer than the Pollack, they fight well too.

We used to catch big ones from the boats out of Bridlington, off Flamborough Head.
Their backs were much darker than the ones I've caught on the south coast, almost a bluish gunmetal colour

WOW! Great session Phil! Your report made a good read & nice photos too. Well done on your Species hunt! 🎣🎣👍👍

Back