• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Mussel

Cwab

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Anyone recommend a supplier of good sized skeined mussels unlike some sell? Thanks .šŸ˜€
Wondering if better to buy live and skein own to freeze down, any thoughts?

Anyone recommend a supplier of good sized skeined mussels unlike some sell? Thanks .šŸ˜€
Wondering if better to buy live and skein own to freeze down, any thoughts?
I didn't have a clue what "Skeined mussels" were, so googled it.
I did find a thread that says if you freeze them in their shells, they will open themselves when they thaw.
Perhaps go out & harvest your own.

I didn't have a clue what "Skeined mussels" were, so googled it.
I did find a thread that says if you freeze them in their shells, they will open themselves when they thaw.
Perhaps go out & harvest your own.
Most places generally within worthwhile travel of me not worth the fuel and effort anymore sadly for quality and in theory just easier and cheaper to buy and freeze down, also when some opened not that much content.
Some commercial mussels grown on ropes and harvested for market when ā€œripeā€ and bought from fish suppliers by the sack.
Would rather support bait tackle / shop but some are selling poor quality mush which will have been gathered off rock edges which is all good by me but not what I would ideally like to use so on a questšŸ˜€ edit. Probably end up getting direct from supplier and sharing.

Last edited:
I have tried frozen mussel and find it to be poor. have you tried the Frozen razor clams from Morrisons supermarket i have had codling, whiting,coalies and haddock on them plus dabs and flounders. they are great for storing in the freezer and are much firmer than mussels when thawed out
and cheap!!!!!
D.S.J. šŸ¦€

Only fish for cod/codling these days in winter John and some marks I fish mussel incorporated into a cocktail (whipped on with cotton) can fish really well at times, still have some frozen razor gathered from the wash outs from last winter but will give Morrisons a go when gone and thanks for the tip.šŸ‘

I have tried frozen mussel and find it to be poor. have you tried the Frozen razor clams from Morrisons supermarket i have had codling, whiting,coalies and haddock on them plus dabs and flounders. they are great for storing in the freezer and are much firmer than mussels when thawed out
and cheap!!!!!
D.S.J. šŸ¦€
I used razors from Morrissons a couple of years ago at 3 different locations and never had a bite.

I've never caught when using mussels ,have tried them various times throughout the year.

All above been said nothing worse than fishing near to another in good conditions with the best of baits and not catching when they are. Big sea, small hook but itā€™s the not knowing though consistent top match anglers catch for a reasonšŸ¤”
Edit. I am clearly not one of the chosen few.

Most places generally within worthwhile travel of me not worth the fuel and effort anymore sadly for quality and in theory just easier and cheaper to buy and freeze down, also when some opened not that much content.
Some commercial mussels grown on ropes and harvested for market when ā€œripeā€ and bought from fish suppliers by the sack.
Would rather support bait tackle / shop but some are selling poor quality mush which will have been gathered off rock edges which is all good by me but not what I would ideally like to use so on a questšŸ˜€ edit. Probably end up getting direct from supplier and sharing.
Always the option of buying fresh somewhere like Morrisons, especially if they have shellfish offers on. Other shellfish also available!

and cheap!!!!!
D.S.J. šŸ¦€
Beat me to it John! I hadn't scrolled down when I repled! šŸ˜šŸ˜

Always the option of buying fresh somewhere like Morrisons, especially if they have shellfish offers on. Other shellfish also available!
Yes I should focus on it more and will but will probably end up in freezer šŸ‘

Has anyone tried armamesh tubing? I've been wondering about trying it with a cocktail of mackerel, mussels and crabs put through a liquidiser and then frozen.

Back