• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Mussel

I have tried frozen mussel and find it to be poor. have you tried the Frozen razor clams from Morrisons supermarket i have had codling, whiting,coalies and haddock on them plus dabs and flounders. they are great for storing in the freezer and are much firmer than mussels when thawed out
and cheap!!!!!
D.S.J. 🦀
Good bait. Bass love them as well. Quality product as they are live frozen

nearly all mine over time will have been dead a while and gritty with coal dust as wash outs before freezing and fish really well after a blow with blacks or yellow tails frozen or fresh.
Some of the older boys prefered them stinking for the cod fash.

may be but i tried 3 different places close by, not even a dog fish
Dogs aren't so keen which is a plus though. I've had plenty of sessions over that way where razor has outfished every thing else for bass, flats and bream

Has anyone tried armamesh tubing? I've been wondering about trying it with a cocktail of mackerel, mussels and crabs put through a liquidiser and then frozen.
I was going to try it, but haven't yet. I've bought some of that finger mesh bandage and was going to use that, and make my own tube to fill it.
I'm not sure liquidising it would be a good idea - it would fall out of the mesh. I was just going to use small chunks of mainly shellfish.

Always the option of buying fresh somewhere like Morrisons, especially if they have shellfish offers on. Other shellfish also available!
Update on Morrisons mussels, £4 per kilo in a net but weight in net varies apparently, anyhow squaw was at Morrisons and brought back some costing £ 3.36 but on Friday would be £2.70 for same.
Have now skeined and drained and resting on newspaper to draw moisture x2 changes then into freezer bag for winter with a head count of 38 useable baits.
Using x2 per cocktail bait well worth the effort if buying a few kilo of a Friday and freezing down for winter, thanks for the prod👍 edit. probably not worth the effort if using as a bait in itself but for cocktails spot on,
Going to experiment with other suppliers just for interest in terms of shell content😀

Last edited:
Anyone recommend a supplier of good sized skeined mussels unlike some sell? Thanks .😀
Wondering if better to buy live and skein own to freeze down, any thoughts?

Loads around here in Devon, within a 100 yards from the slipway where I launch, I could fill a 10L bucket is probably less than 30 minutes, or I can drive over to the other side of the river and take my jeep along the foreshore at Shaldon and pick them by the handful

Alternatively, when I am out on the boat, with 6 miles we have at least 4 'rope' mussel farms, I tend to fish quite close to them for Bream, which are the biggest pest for the mussel farmers, so the farmers don't mind if we have a few mussels off the ropes.

I tend not to use them as bait, I much prefer live prawn (again in abundance), or hardback crab, which we catch in drop nets, usually about 50 at a time !

If I want peeler then I just go up the river at low tide and 'borrow' a few from my mates peeler traps.

Update on Morrisons mussels, £4 per kilo in a net but weight in net varies apparently, anyhow squaw was at Morrisons and brought back some costing £ 3.36 but on Friday would be £2.70 for same.
Have now skeined and drained and resting on newspaper to draw moisture x2 changes then into freezer bag for winter with a head count of 38 useable baits.
Using x2 per cocktail bait well worth the effort if buying a few kilo of a Friday and freezing down for winter, thanks for the prod👍 edit. probably not worth the effort if using as a bait in itself but for cocktails spot on,
Going to experiment with other suppliers just for interest in terms of shell content😀
I forgot to mention they sold fresh mussel. when you said you were going to skien them yourself i thought you were from the whitby area. i used to get mussels off the boats from there they used a lot on the charter boats a few years ago
D.S.J.🦀

Thanks john no worries, just it’s getting harder to pick your own bar some very low tides where I used to haunt same with digging or pumping Worm though I only dug to keep them as long as possible.
Decided due to back issues time to buy essentials and burn fuel and destroy back fishing in the winter months.
Going to be interesting as some shellfish suppliers that do the markets round me want £8 per kilo in shell where supermarkets half the price but with possibly less content in shell🤔
Quest is really for some decent sized mussels when shelled, much prefer to get live and shell myself though that’s just me.😀

Loads around here in Devon, within a 100 yards from the slipway where I launch, I could fill a 10L bucket is probably less than 30 minutes, or I can drive over to the other side of the river and take my jeep along the foreshore at Shaldon and pick them by the handful

Alternatively, when I am out on the boat, with 6 miles we have at least 4 'rope' mussel farms, I tend to fish quite close to them for Bream, which are the biggest pest for the mussel farmers, so the farmers don't mind if we have a few mussels off the ropes.

I tend not to use them as bait, I much prefer live prawn (again in abundance), or hardback crab, which we catch in drop nets, usually about 50 at a time !

If I want peeler then I just go up the river at low tide and 'borrow' a few from my mates peeler traps.
Very fortunate to have access to good bait when needed am now land locked and everything one hours travel and becomes less practical to gather also people pressure talking it’s toll on worm beds.
Only fish for codling/cod in winter and was a total bait snob travelling miles to dig blacks and yellow tails to keep live for weeks if looked after with some frozen baits as back up.
Anyhows due to back problems digging not a good idea so now using cocktails of frozen baits but not out of choice as if sea comes away straight to bait freezer and tally ho!

I forgot to mention they sold fresh mussel. when you said you were going to skien them yourself i thought you were from the whitby area. i used to get mussels off the boats from there they used a lot on the charter boats a few years ago
D.S.J.🦀
Post 33👍

Back