• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South Coast My first squid!

Goateeblank

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
There are a few places near me that produce squid and a few I have thought of, that I have never seen a report from. That could be another report!

Venue of choice was Boscombe Pier as it recently gifted me a brill, and rays come out regularly, which to be honest were my main target.

Got there before dark and set up 2 x 10ft pier rods, one rod fish baits, 1 rod worms. Only small hooks to start with, hoping for sole and plaice and whatever came along that I have not had yet, until dark then go a bit heavier

The sun started to set and from what I heard last night, that twilight bass time in the morning and evening also applies to squid. I learnt this after it got dark!
20211111_171626-EFFECTS.jpg
@cap'nhaddock turned up and set up next to me and quickly had a small plaice. No change there then! We fished on for a while then swapped pier side due to the tide run. Haddock had recently fished a comp there and watched people trying to land a decent bass and a ray with drop nets that were just blowing under the pier as they did not have any weight in them!

There is a lady that fishes the pier for squid, and I know she gets a few. Heard a cheer and see that she had started catching. Time to set up the squid rig on my spinning rod! I have watched people fishing for them and the idea is basically to lift the rod and let them sink again or fish them under a float, again so there is some movement. Its an odd way of fishing as you have very little feel of what is going on and I was fishing with a bow in the line due to the wind. Its not like spinning or luring. I got a bit fed up with it, so decided to add a glow light to the line. Haddock had already done that and was also bored with it, so left his rod jammed behind the lifebuoy box. He had a few small soles, but in general the main rods were deathly quiet with bait coming back, pretty much untouched. I was sorting out a tube and a glow light and Haddock said look at your rod. It was pulling down and spring back up. Picked it up and at last I had some feeling from the squid rig, cause there was one on it! They pulse as they squirt water for propulsion, a very different feel to a fish. As it comes out of the water it was squirting water. Up over the rail and onto the deck.
20211111_174721.jpg
What an amazing creature. The markings are incredible. I asked Haddock what they are like to handle and his reply was akin to a Swan breaking your arm and the beak taking chunks out of your hand!! Made up with my first squid. So quickly back down in case there were more which there weren't! Pulled the rod in and added a glow light and tried working the jig until I got bored again. I can hear the excitement as people were catching at the end of the pier with people fishing multiple rigs. Reports of 20 plus being taken by some.
Sat down again and the same thing happened with the rod pulsing down. Another one. That felt good as one could just be lucky, but 2 feels more like you know what you are doing, ha ha.
20211111_225337.jpg
The bait rods are deadly quiet and Haddock scoots off home. Decided on a slow pack up and just to break the blank, l landed a nice little plaice with a bit of frill missing.
20211111_225126.jpg
Pleased with my first squid, but no new species for my hunt. As bananas says, just got to go again!
20211111_224001.jpg
Thought my van was looking good in the artificial light. Haddock calls it my Gin Palace on wheels! I love my van.

Good luck if you have a go. Conditions were not best for them last night. A bit rough.

I'm waiting for the right moment to go squidding off my local beach, only 3/4 of a mile away and well known for producing them. Tonight is looking fairly good so just checking my flattie rod and braid reel.
The sky is clearing and high water will be just after dark, not much moon tonight but you've got to be in it to win it.
The local tackle shop owner told me he had six in six casts once.
He's about 6'6" tall and about as wide, I'll give way if he wants his favourite spot back if I'm on it.

I'm waiting for the right moment to go squidding off my local beach, only 3/4 of a mile away and well known for producing them. Tonight is looking fairly good so just checking my flattie rod and braid reel.
The sky is clearing and high water will be just after dark, not much moon tonight but you've got to be in it to win it.
The local tackle shop owner told me he had six in six casts once.
He's about 6'6" tall and about as wide, I'll give way if he wants his favourite spot back if I'm on it.
Did you get out?

Well done bud, lovely pics as well ?

I was thinking of coming over this week, but Richard said the fishing is slow atm ☹️

Amazing colouration and paternation on that squid. ?

Back