• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South East N. Kent Bassing

Stormtrooper

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Hi all.
So, Wednesday night I headed out to meet with Alan (Action Man) at a fairly unfamiliar venue. The tide was ebbing and with most of our stretch of coastline too shallow to fish over low, this was something of an experiment that I’d fancied trying for ages.
We got to our mark after a healthy yomp from the cars and were set up just before 8pm. HW was practically 2hrs before we got there so although hopeful, I wasn’t expecting any sort of decent night.
Before I’d even got my 2nd rod cast though, Alan was reeling in his 1st doggie of the evening. Not the aim of course but at least there were signs of fish! I opted to fish ragworm at distance and squid closer in.
Before long, Alan had his 2nd dog and I’d not had a sniff of a bite. He dealt with that, recast and wandered over for a chat.
Whilst he was stood with me, the rag rod started nodding furiously and didn’t give the impression of a dogfish. I struck in to a little resistance and could feel the odd tug during the retrieve but it wasn’t at all heavy and at times I wasn’t even sure there was anything on.
Meanwhile, the squid rod slammed over and was thrashing up and down like a thing possessed!! “I can’t ignore that!” I exclaimed and mid-retrieve, put down my rod to strike into the second one.
Before long my first bass of the night slid up the shingle and it was a lovely specimen of 3lbs 3oz, 50cm exactly.
Before unhooking it, I returned to finish retrieving the other line and was pleased as punch to find another bass still on the line of 1lbs 7oz, 41cm! 2 at once!!
A couple of quick pics and both were safely returned to fight another day.
Alan’s attention quickly turned back to his own rods now having proof our target were around.
Things took a little turn for the worse for me soon after this. I had another good bite on the ragworm but halfway in, it snagged and it was one of those I could feel was NOT going to pull out, no matter what I did. The tide was ebbing really fast now so I decided to leave it on my rest and get it out in a bit, once the tide allowed.
Down to one rod, I fished on with just the squid at closer range.
It started to get colder and the bites were drying up. Alan landed his 3rd dog of the evening and that aside, not much was happening.
I wandered over and was chatting about my stuck rig when I glanced over to see the squid one slamming over!!
Like a gazelle, I sprang across the beach and grabbed the rod, landing my 3rd bass of the night at 2lbs 5oz, 48cm.
I think Alan was going off me by this point!! ?
A while later, I managed to retrieve my stuck gear, it was caught on someone else’s lost tackle so at least I got a free lead out of it!!
The night just proceeded to get colder from here and slowly became infested with bait robbing crabs. I stayed until low with Alan leaving about an hour before me but really, the last 2hrs or so were fairly pointless. Nonetheless, we learnt a bit more about a new venue and had a couple of nice fish to boot. I was gutted for Alan but that’s fishing for you I guess!
…..til next time ?D3FDA11E-DBF3-48A8-9268-96CCFCCA6C6B.png01B05BB5-CCDA-4ED4-AE7F-072E9DEE2058.jpeg80D3969E-4DA2-4D0A-9E33-98610774CCC8.jpegFB1D39C0-2A9F-4917-ABAC-0BCE0B05D207.jpeg

I never said i
Like a gazelle! Only much noisier and in restrictive fishing gear. Good report mate.
I never said it wasn’t a fat, sluggish gazelle!!
?

Great report mate, and good fishing too! Just wasn’t meant to be, I was very sulky the next day but at least I ended my run of blanks ? . Just goes to show it’s always worth trying a new venue even if the tide and weather is a bit dodgy! Kent has a LOT of coastline and it can pay dividends to wander off the beaten track….

Well done on the Bass (y) (y) . can tell autumns creeping quickly in with how chilly its getting.

Well done on the Bass (y) (y) . can tell autumns creeping quickly in with how chilly its getting.
Yeah it did get really cold by midnight, the wind dropped and it was a clear sky. Time to dig out the thermals!

Great report mate, and good fishing too! Just wasn’t meant to be, I was very sulky the next day but at least I ended my run of blanks ? . Just goes to show it’s always worth trying a new venue even if the tide and weather is a bit dodgy! Kent has a LOT of coastline and it can pay dividends to wander off the beaten track….
I couldn’t agree more. It’s like we were saying on the night, there must be so many awesome marks along our coast but most people tend to stick to the known and easy access ones. Sometimes a little bit of homework and trial and error goes a long way!

Back