• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

New Beachcaster - Fixed Spool

MikePPM

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Good morning all,

I appreciate this question has probably been asked a few times, but your advice and experience would be appreciated.

I'm in the market for a couple of new rods, either sliding reel seat or fixed as I dont use multipliers. My budget is £450 each (max).

Most of my fishing is concentrated on Chesil and I have a separate light setup for the estuaries in and around South Devon.

I'm also new to the Forum and I look forward to contributing to it.

Best regards,
Mike <><

Good morning all,

I appreciate this question has probably been asked a few times, but your advice and experience would be appreciated.

I'm in the market for a couple of new rods, either sliding reel seat or fixed as I dont use multipliers. My budget is £450 each (max).

Most of my fishing is concentrated on Chesil and I have a separate light setup for the estuaries in and around South Devon.

Best regards,
Mike <><
Welcome to the Madhouse Mike! 👍👍

Good to see another member joining the crew from around my way!

Thanks mate, hope alls well you're end <><
Thanks Mike. Not out fishing as often as I'd like due to being an OAP now (!) with health issues.

Re Rod recommendations, I'm not the one to advise as my budget is very limited, but plenty of others on here with a lot more knowledge than me. 👍👍

Welcome Mike, rod choice is personal with so many out there in your price range. Depends on what action you like and how you tend to fish, in close, long range, lite as possible or big leads big baits ect. Chesil as you know can vary dramatically with weather , area and tide, I've fished it with anything from three ounce two hook worm rigs to eight ounce big bait pennels so finding a rod to cover that isn't going to be easy .

Welcome Mike, rod choice is personal with so many out there in your price range. Depends on what action you like and how you tend to fish, in close, long range, lite as possible or big leads big baits ect. Chesil as you know can vary dramatically with weather , area and tide, I've fished it with anything from three ounce two hook worm rigs to eight ounce big bait pennels so finding a rod to cover that isn't going to be easy .
Hi Goose, just after a good all rounder really. Pretty much narrowed it down to 3 different models at the moment. (y)

sounds like something with a bit of poke plus a glass tip that can handle the bigger leads and tides if needed and for that dosh some very nice used Zziplexs, or a afaw gbfs pro ?
Good look with you choices 👍

Hello Mike nice to see the West Country flags flying on here. I have found this forum a real gold mine of information there is such a diverse range of fishing knowledge on here. I think the best rod for you is one you like the look of and feels right in your hands as you cast, the amount of choice nowadays is ridiculous. Goodluck and welcome.

Last edited:
Mike - don't rule out the possibility of a good 2nd hand Rod. Not for me to comment on what's good and what's not in your price bracket, but there are sometimes some good Rods on offer on Gumtree. Best of it is you can go check them out before you buy.

Good morning all,

Best regards,
Mike <><
It's a welcome from me as well Mike (y)

Good morning all,

Best regards,
Mike <><
Forgot to say Mike, welcome pretty new here myself. Mentioned earlier the anyfish anywhwere gb fs pro is probably made for your description.🙂 Edit. Have mk1 handles most situations and would do all you have asked and a lot more plus enough give for braid if you want to use without feeling harsh. Now mk2 which is reckoned to be a tad more beefy?

Last edited:
Welcome along bey I own a gbfs mrk one fantastic rods but a little bit over gunned for chisel if I’m honest I use A pair of T700 for most of my chisel trips and there perfect altho bit more than your budget whould allow id be tempted by the fire blades if I was looking around that price tag I do use the gbfs for conger fishing but you want something a bit more sporting for 90 percent of your summer fishing up there plenty of high end conti rods that will be perfect but catching plaice and bream on a gb ain’t the most fun you can have if I’m honest 👍

Back