• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

New reel needed.

Shirleycodlin

I am the god of hell fire
Staff member
Reaction score
Hello plastic, metal and latex fetishist's.
😉😁
After a new reel for Jax.
Her diawa sweepfire (?) Has developed an alarming handle wobble.
After something sub £100 that will hold 150yds of 20lb braid and cope with working lead heads of upto 100g and cranking cods over rough kelpy ground.
Ideally something light enough not to unbalance the zziplex bass marine that it's attached to.

Many thanks, a lugworm lover😜

Last edited:
Hello plastic, metal and latex fetishist's.
😉😁
After a new reel for Jax.
Her diawa crossfire (?) Has developed an alarming handle wobble.
After something sub £100 that will hold 150yds of 20lb braid and cope with working lead heads of upto 100g and cranking cods over rough kelpy ground.
Ideally something light enough not to unbalance the zziplex bass marine that it's attached to.

Many thanks, a lugworm lover😜

What size is it, I am assuming 5000 ?

Oh, 2500 size, that is quite small.

My personal preference would be one of the small Shimano's, there FS quality is very good, the Multi quality, not so good.
Right, with you.
Is it a case of, the reel is ok, it just needs to be bigger?
I appreciate it's a cheap reel, but it's not really been worked hard.
Maybe 15 hours casting and retrieving in total.

I would also suggest Shimano, although which model I have no idea. Depends on how much is in the Piggybank.
I woulld have also thought a 4000 or even 5000 would fit the bill better.
I've got a 3000 which came from John Mitchell, which is very good but I thought a tad too small, so bought a couple of 4000's from eBay 2nd hand for less than £40. Love 'em.

Shimano or Diawa gets my vote. Pick a decent 2nd hand one up for pretty cheap.
The older plastic spool Emblem 5000 would get my vote

Maybe have a look at Abu 174/6sw series, they are made for being salt water resistant. I have a 174sw for tidal rivers and cheap to buy. Also mackie bashing off the shore in late spring/summer

Last edited:
C5000 shimano stradic 23 model,same size as a 4000 with a nicer handle plus more line capacity if needed,it will stretch the budget out to £125 though and roughly a weeks delivery time from digitaka,it is under the VAT threshold and includes shipping fees.

Thanks for the recommendations, I'll take a look.
Don't mind the extra bit of £££.
Just don't want to waste money on something that really doesn't get used that often.
Unless someone wants to recommend venues for lure/lead heading local to Dungeness 😵‍💫

It might be worth finding out what the wobble is, that way you'll know what part of the reel you need strenghning in the new purchase. To be honest 100 grams on a small reel like that isn't ideal but it should have lasted longer than a fifteen hours. I'm asuming it hasn't been dunked and is washed after each trip.

It might be worth finding out what the wobble is, that way you'll know what part of the reel you need strenghning in the new purchase. To be honest 100 grams on a small reel like that isn't ideal but it should have lasted longer than a fifteen hours. I'm asuming it hasn't been dunked and is washed after each trip.
Definitely not dunked.
Er, rinsed after most trips (ie, at the end of say a Norway trip but not daily whilst there).
Certainly rinsed and dried before being stored.

I've just Bought 2 Penn Fierce 6000 Solid Quality Reel £100 each Also got Penn Conflict 5000 well in your Price Bracket which I've used on A Boat with Jigs no Problem hauling up Pollack to 8lb also using String of 3 Lures had 3 Coalfish with average weight of 4lb each no issues.

Nice if you like coffee grinders.

Sub £100 if you shop around you can get the new Shimano Miravel reel which is part of the Magnumlite series, there’s a good range of models with different capacities depending on what you’re after. The Miravel is the starter reel I believe in the Magnumlite lineup which includes Vanford, Sustain etc.

Back