• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

New Reels???

Andy2

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
So I’ve been given a nice bonus from work and I’m thinking of a new pair of reels lm currently using Abu 6500 ct c3 mag elites ( green ) ..
I also have one diawa 7ht mag ( blue ) so do buy a new diawia 7ht mag.But I’ve also been looking at the akios nitron f15

All of my fishing is on the south coast between Dungeness to selsey and clean ground. I do a couple of trips to chesil beach and Bristol Channel.. Main line is 18 lb mono

I have given up on little 65 size reels for all but extreme distance casting.
My go to reels are now Penn fathom 12s and 15s (magged).
For the money I don't think you can buy better.
Perfect for the point at Dungeness.
Good strong reels that can cast a very long way in the right hands.
Given how good they are, I am surprised other reels are sold.

Last edited:
So I’ve been given a nice bonus from work and I’m thinking of a new pair of reels lm currently using Abu 6500 ct c3 mag elites ( green ) ..
I also have one diawa 7ht mag ( blue ) so do buy a new diawia 7ht mag.But I’ve also been looking at the akios nitron f15
MK1 Fathom 12 outcasts the MK2's and brimmed to top edge isn't far off 15 capacity which becomes unwieldy brimmed.
12's perfect for most situations 15 more for if using over .35 but 12's most likely hold enough .38 for most situations also.
Also stronger than 15's in essence as narrower

The green elites are a superb clean ground reel although the mag slider could be moved easily by accident but perfect for sussex beaches,my opinion for what it`s worth is if it ain`t broke don`t fix it...yeah i know....i`ll get my coat...Alan

I use Abu 5000/5500c size for clean ground on the Sussex coast, for rocky shore I use a 656 which has plenty of winding power etc. mine are all multies.

The green elites are a superb clean ground reel although the mag slider could be moved easily by accident but perfect for sussex beaches,my opinion for what it`s worth is if it ain`t broke don`t fix it...yeah i know....i`ll get my coat...Alan
If I don’t spend it the wife will. I here what your saying I’ve had these reels since they came out just wanted to upgrade
So many choices

If I don’t spend it the wife will. I here what your saying I’ve had these reels since they came out just wanted to upgrade
So many choices
If I buy any more reels I will have more than the tackle shops ;)

Thanks guys will have a think over the weekend
You know the saying: Do I like it, do I really need it, can I spend the money where it's more needed?

I brought a Pair of the fathom 12 mags I didt not like them I still think my blakdog magged originals are much better

Iv got all the reels you have and iv got the nitron ,be perfectly honest get a penn fathom 15sd it's a much better reel ,my nitron is in the cubard because I use the fathom ,

I've had Mk1 Fathom 12s, mk1 fathom 15s, mk1 fathom mono magged (vmo, Phil stares), akion nitrons and now MK2 fathom 15s.

The mk1 fathoms were superb. But the brakes were known to be a weak point so you either have to settle with the fact that you will need to modify and fit regular brake blocks (easy to do) or get them magged.
I found the Phil stares mono mag was good. But I found as a relatively new multi user at the time that it could be easy to blow up If I got the mag setting a bit wrong. Seemed to be a fine line between controllable and fast.
Then when I compare the mag to the current MK2 mag setup, the MK2 setup is a very powerful mag. The dial with clicker also means it's easy to know how much mag is currently on. I use 0.4 or 0.45mm line on my 15s, it's an incredibly safe reel, will full mag I can cast and it can land without needing thumb control. Rediculous really.
I am a slightly better caster now than when I started with the mk1s, but the mk2s sure are safe and cast a decent way as well. Great fishing reel. I've no reason to change them now.

The akios reels mag was superb also, but the frames are known to flex under load. I also hate the garish Farbon dip treatment. I still fancied trying a pair though but quickly moved them on for MK2 fathoms.

There are so many reels available, just choose what suits and within your budget. Also will stand the test of time.

Back