• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

New Rods versus secondhand classics...

hullcitytilidie

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
I was just wondering if any others had thoughts about which they prefer and what they consider superior?

For my sins I collect classic beach and more recently spin and bait rods. I have too many to remember but all the Penn rods from the Extreme range, PPT range including all the Evo versions, All the Affinity range that superseded the PPT's and all the Affinity TRQ range. All the Ian Golds, A very nice collection of Shimano Aspires and Antares, a few different Daiwa and Conoflex. Odd beach rods from Zziplex, Century, AFAW and Tricast with various Major Craft, Daiwa, Mike Ladle and Shimano lure rods.

I've seen a big improvement in performance over the years but personally feel that things haven't improved that much in more recent years? Some of my PPT Evo's, My beloved Conoflex MS Cobras, Aspires and Antares I rate as good as anything newer yet each only cost me around £100 in near mint condition? As a bonus they are so much nicer to fish with and seem more user friendly? Would love to know how others feel and hear any comparisons they have made themselves.

If I was going on one of my extended camping trips I would probably be packing my Shimano Antares Tournament rod in the hope of a big skate, One of my 13ft Conoflex MS Cobras for the beach and my 10ft four piece Daiwa Lochmor spinning rods for my rock and trout fishing. What are your favourites? Regards Geoff.

I do like the older rods too mate?
A couple of Milbro 12’ers ones a buccaneer I think,nice to use.
An old Abu spinning rod.
An old early 70’s shakey spinning rod and last week I bought a Paul Kerry Supercast but not used it yet?

Offer to do a tidy up round the place/a bit of take the shite out the shed job???jobs a good un.
Sounds like a plan!!!!! Could allways replace them with a couple of old knackered boat rods and hope nobody notices.

I like older rods as well, though I have only been fishing 2 years!

I've owned and sold a Zzippy ZF250 and a mk1 Kompressor Sport in the past, both regrettable sales.

Got another Zziplex ZF250 beach rod now and a Conoflex Phantom 45 XL light beach rod. Problem with lots of rods is I now have multiple rods that perform the same functions! Makes me feel like I should move a few on...

I like older rods as well, though I have only been fishing 2 years!

I've owned and sold a Zzippy ZF250 and a mk1 Kompressor Sport in the past, both regrettable sales.

Got another Zziplex ZF250 beach rod now and a Conoflex Phantom 45 XL light beach rod. Problem with lots of rods is I now have multiple rods that perform the same functions! Makes me feel like I should move a few on...

I've got the Century Mk2 Kompressor Sport - the equal section one with the metal bands. I got it for just over a hundred quid in a deal for something he wanted. It's a lovely rod.

I wouldn't sell any rods if I didn't need the money if I were you? Zzippys and Conoflex are better than money in the bank in my opinion.

Last edited:
I've got the Century Mk2 Kompressor Sport - the equal section one with the metal bands. I got it for just over a hundred quid in a deal for something he wanted. It's a lovely rod.

I wouldn't sell any rods if I didn't need the money if I were you? Zzippys and Conoflex are better than money in the bank in my opinion.
Nice mate. I switched from multi to FS, sold all my multi rods at the time. But I've now got multis again as while I think FS and braid is better for fishing. I do enjoy casting a multi. Hence buying another zf250!

I don't need the money. It's just seeing rods go infrequently used that makes me think about selling them! But you're right, no harm sat in the rack to oggle at :)

Last edited:
I've had loads of problems with folks like that. Lots of different reasons for it, but it is usually that they get a bit of interest so assume it must be worth a fortune?

But it works the other way as well, I bought a rod for £2 at a garage sale, then sold it for a couple of hundred. Bought a lot from boot sales for next to nothing as well, so alls good! ;)

My curiosity was aroused a while ago by an interesting 'Heron Boat & pier rod'. Never heard of Heron rods before, and it was a bit scruffy when I went to collect it. I got it for £10, washed & cleaned it, and it has come up like new. 3ft Butt section, with either a 3ft boat tip or 6ft Pier section. Looks a quality bit of kit now!

My curiosity was aroused a while ago by an interesting 'Heron Boat & pier rod'. Never heard of Heron rods before, and it was a bit scruffy when I went to collect it. I got it for £10, washed & cleaned it, and it has come up like new. 3ft Butt section, with either a 3ft boat tip or 6ft Pier section. Looks a quality bit of kit now!
Think I saw one of those years ago thought they had 3 tips,black with red/orange whipping chrome rings????

Think I saw one of those years ago thought they had 3 tips,black with red/orange whipping chrome rings????
No, it's like a deep red or maroon colour, with Gold writing and lined rings. I would think it is quite a few years old, bur not old enough to be from the days before lined rings were fitted as standard! I'll try to remember and dig it out for a photo or two.

What rods have you guys got in your collections then??
Far too many, frightened to sell em off , but at end of the day can only use 2 at a time ,got over 30 topend rods ,they all favourites until the next new model comes out with more bells n whistles than the last one ,and dont ask how meny reels

On the verge of buying a Sonik Gravity X5 HT for venues when I cannot OTG and need an OHT (I cannot aerialise my cast properly yet with a pendulum), but I keep thinking that next year I will likely be doing different sorts of fishing, targetting mullet and fly fishing for trout mostly during the day, so it might just be yet another 6oz beach rod!

Back