• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South West New years eve trip.

Si-fly

Reaction score
Hi all, happy new year ?... Let's hope we get back to some form of normality in the coming months, after what has been a nightmare 2020!

Unfortunately I've not managed to get out recently, for various reasons, so was keen as mustard when I saw a chance for a few hours Thursday afternoon.

I'm now in Zone 4 so went to a close spot on a channel reef and put out some big squid baits. Target in the calm conditions was big cod and conger..... However anything was welcome on what I knew would be a slow session!..... Reading reports its been pretty dire on the reefs with just odd fish showing.

There were a few lads already fishing, and only one old boy in the area I fancied, which was nice as we had a chat about past monsters..... It's really eye opening to listen to the catches that were made before the stocks were destroyed..... Doubles were common place, twenties were that fish you targeted!

Another thing that amazed me, this chap a regular on the reefs, that had scrambled over weed and rocks..... Was 79.....WOW what an achievement, he still dug his bait as well, and to further amazement he was travelling back home for a high water session after this one..... ?..... Fair play..... I just hope I'm still alive at 80 ?

Right, the fishing..... Well it was dead, I didn't see any signs of activity from anyone in the distance, and my baits were untouched for the first 3hrs.

The old chap did have a couple of rattles on worm and a slack line which he hooked, then unfortunately dropped whatever it was in a snag and called it a day 20 mins early as had to help someone out before his night session!

I put one of his worms on a scratching rig at this point... And a couple of frozen pin yting on the other rod.... Last gasp effort!!

Still the tips were static.... Then starting to pack I noticed a slight slacking of the fish bait.... Yep line was def slacker than it was... No movement now, but fishing at range this can often happen with rays or dogs on this shallow mark.

I wound down tight to see if the lead would move.... And it was a dead weight ?. Ray on.... Ah that felt great after a few weeks not fishing.

Not a monster, but a 7-8lb fish.

I banged out a spare baited rig quickly for the last 10 mins and took a quick pic before releasing the flat rat. IMG_20201231_155102~2.jpg

Sitting back down I felt great... Fishing is such a release ?

Click... Click.. Click... Off went the ratchet disturbing my moment..... Rod bent right over..... Wound down and lifted...... Nothing!!

Squid was a munched mess... Somehow I'd pulled the bait from another ray.

Time to go, rapid pack away and waist deep wade back to reality.

Couple of shots from the the new year... Let's hope we all catch some monsters in 2021

Cheers si. IMG_20210101_095532~2.jpgIMG_20210101_082802~2.jpg

Last edited:
Nice one Si! Great report as always, excellent photos, Pretty looking Raymondo! Best wishes for 2021 and better things to come. ??

Wonders where you been bey you see that beast off chesil yesterday wot a fish good luck for 2021 ma Bute let’s finally have a fish together once this shites calamed down nice pics ?

Wonders where you been bey you see that beast off chesil yesterday wot a fish good luck for 2021 ma Bute let’s finally have a fish together once this shites calamed down nice pics ?
Hello Tat, happy new year bud.
It's been tough not fishing but sometimes you just need to spend time helping family ?

I did see that beast... What a beauty ?

Anytime you want to come up, give me a shout.... We are tier 4 though atm ?

Hopefully in a week or so I'll start getting a few more sessions in, although it's not fishing great atm.
?

Good time to spend with the family Si, not much about considering how many are fishing. I tried a bit further down channel beat the blank with a fat 3lb+ codling but was the only bite. Definitely not worth the effort. Hopefully it will pick up soon. Happy New year chaps.

Good time to spend with the family Si, not much about considering how many are fishing. I tried a bit further down channel beat the blank with a fat 3lb+ codling but was the only bite. Definitely not worth the effort. Hopefully it will pick up soon. Happy New year chaps.
Hi Squiddy, nice codling that mate ?.... Yep have to remember that there are loads fishing these past few weeks, so the nice fish you see posted really are few & far between!..... But then again, you won't catch one sat at home ??. .... Good luck in 2021 mate ?

Back