• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South West Nice evening with a few fish caught

John Mitchell

Reaction score
2EAC9F00-DE13-4709-A24C-4B919B013C0B.jpeg1ACB9076-040B-4897-A4FD-CA8A5373672E.jpeg26BD9CAD-1084-480D-8D6A-5411E7DCAA8C.jpegWent out with Ben last night , we have had loads of evenings with little caught , so hoping for a few fish , Ben was into the first fish a little pollack so he is chuffed no blank for him . Then I followed up with 3 nice chunky mackerel, Ben couldn’t get a Mackerel no matter what lure he tried , it was a slow night then I got hit by what I thought was a bigger mackerel but no it was a nice bass of 49cm , I was pleased with that . Sadly that was it for the night , so we made the slow hard climb back up , and long walk back to the car .

Nice one John! Great photos and a lovely Bass! ????

Nice report, lovely few eating fish there nothing better.

Is that a compass jellyfish? I think a juvenile floated past me when I was on the kayak over the weekend, really long bright red tentacles! Glad I wasn’t swimming as they looked a bit stingy

Nice report, lovely few eating fish there nothing better.

Is that a compass jellyfish? I think a juvenile floated past me when I was on the kayak over the weekend, really long bright red tentacles! Glad I wasn’t swimming as they looked a bit stingy
Yes loads of compass jelly fish and moon jelly fish , and a purple one which might have been Japanese man of war

Well done on the bass John. Presume you were travelling very light with the walk back you describe.
Lure fishing mate , just a small rucksack and a lure rod , this coast around here is all like that , unless you go to the beaches with the grockles etc

Nice one John!

What lure did the jellyfish take? ?
You should see the fuss our local news are making of the Hugh compass jelly fish in plymouth sound , keep away from these jelly fish as they got a nasty sting ??? or you could touch them and see how much it hurts ???

You should see the fuss our local news are making of the Hugh compass jelly fish in plymouth sound , keep away from these jelly fish as they got a nasty sting ??? or you could touch them and see how much it hurts ???
I remember us making a trip across the Torpoint ferry a few years back, and the ferry was surrounded by them - never seen so many.

populations have been found to take over as top predators in areas that fin fish have been over-exploited.[7] Increased abundance of jellyfish negatively impacts fish populations in the same region because jellyfish feed on fish eggs and larvae.[12] Jellyfish and larval fish can also share common dietary preferences. Competition for food resources can result in depleted fish populations. Overpopulation of jellyfish is a concern to humans for many reasons.[8] Jellyfish stings are painful and sometimes deadly to humans. Fishing nets can be overwhelmed with jellyfish bycatch or torn by jellyfish caught in the nets. Jellyfish can clog water inlets to power plants, causing serious problems for power production. Jellyfish can invade aquaculture cages, ruining the production of the organism being farmed.[8]

populations have been found to take over as top predators in areas that fin fish have been over-exploited.[7] Increased abundance of jellyfish negatively impacts fish populations in the same region because jellyfish feed on fish eggs and larvae.[12] Jellyfish and larval fish can also share common dietary preferences. Competition for food resources can result in depleted fish populations. Overpopulation of jellyfish is a concern to humans for many reasons.[8] Jellyfish stings are painful and sometimes deadly to humans. Fishing nets can be overwhelmed with jellyfish bycatch or torn by jellyfish caught in the nets. Jellyfish can clog water inlets to power plants, causing serious problems for power production. Jellyfish can invade aquaculture cages, ruining the production of the organism being farmed.[8]
Ah one good point you mentioned fishing nets overwhelmed by jelly fish . Ideal

Back