• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

North East Night time session on North East coast

Brad

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Living in Derbyshire wherever I go its a two hour trip so its good to read all the latest reports. Originally I was going to Anglesey one day this week but the weather didn't look too good so thought it might be time to try out the east coast.
I have fished Whitby, Sandsend, Robin hood bay and a similarly Withernsea, Spurn point, Easington but never Hornsea area
Went to East Coast Tackle for some bait, assumed they wouldn't have fresh bait and they hadn't, but I came away with some bluey and frozen muscles. Everything else I had from a previous trip. Mackerel , frozen black lug, dirty squid and ordinary squid.
The young guy behind the counter wasn't that helpful which surprised me as I had read nothing but good reports about the shop. Apparently nobody tells him anything so couldn't help me and say where was catching or what people were using as bait. Looks a good shop though so will use it again.
Time was 13.00pm and high tide was about 14.00pm and my thought was to fish it down to low water at at 20.00 hours and see what happened after that, dependent on how knackered I was.
Got to the beach only to see that it was full. From the beach in front of the caravan park all the way down past the RNLI station wall to wall anglers. Jumped back in the van and went down to Mapleton. ( I had checked it out on Google Maps and other forums just in case.) Two other guys fishing there but bags of room. Set up just as the rain started, not much and at least it wasn't windy. Fishing onto clean ground I went with small hooks for the dabs/flounders for a while then with no luck, moved onto a three hook flapper with every bait I had.
For some unknown reason about an hour before high tide, weed started to make the fishing difficult. Bites were still registering and I had 1 very small dab, 6 tings of which one was in size. They weren't particular what bait they took either. Worm, fish, squid whatever was on the hook
Knocked it on the head when the tide started to push me back onto the stones and a couple of rigs stuck on the boulders meant it was time to move or go home.
Move was a better option so I went back to Hornsea to fish the tide down. No problem parking and just two guys on the beach fishing with another car full arriving as was setting out to the beach.
Fished in the bay next to boat launching ramp and put out some huge baits to use up the last of my bait. It paid dividends as I had about 8 or 9 tings and 5 were over the 27cm mark. Called it a day at around 3.00am and got my head down in the car for a couple of hours before setting off back down south.
Good trip all round and easy fishing and access, which at 69 years old is what I want.
Appologies for the length of the report but it might make someone interesting reading and give them some ideas.
Brad

Hornsea is always a bit of a gamble…. the North beach , parking on Morrow Avenue, is always known to be a busy venue, but it can throw up decent catches, but nowhere near as consistent as the middle and south Holderness beaches.
Hornsea south, from the clock tower down to just past the beach launching area is never as busy as the North beach, but also throws out the odd decent fish, with easier access as well.
I had my PB beach cod at Mappleton, just ten pounds , fishing left of the left hand groyne as you look out to sea.

There are a few easy access venues on the coast, but as with most things, the more effort you put into what you are doing hopefully the better the outcome will be. That could mean negotiating some very muddy slippery cliffs if you are so inclined.

Sounds as though you did put the hours in, so a shame you did not have more to show for it, but a nice bag of Whitings nevertheless .

Dave

Great report, sounds like you made the right decision to have a second session to use up the bait. Well done.

Living in Derbyshire wherever I go its a two hour trip so its good to read all the latest reports. Originally I was going to Anglesey one day this week but the weather didn't look too good so thought it might be time to try out the east coast.
I have fished Whitby, Sandsend, Robin hood bay and a similarly Withernsea, Spurn point, Easington but never Hornsea area
Went to East Coast Tackle for some bait, assumed they wouldn't have fresh bait and they hadn't, but I came away with some bluey and frozen muscles. Everything else I had from a previous trip. Mackerel , frozen black lug, dirty squid and ordinary squid.
The young guy behind the counter wasn't that helpful which surprised me as I had read nothing but good reports about the shop. Apparently nobody tells him anything so couldn't help me and say where was catching or what people were using as bait. Looks a good shop though so will use it again.
Time was 13.00pm and high tide was about 14.00pm and my thought was to fish it down to low water at at 20.00 hours and see what happened after that, dependent on how knackered I was.
Got to the beach only to see that it was full. From the beach in front of the caravan park all the way down past the RNLI station wall to wall anglers. Jumped back in the van and went down to Mapleton. ( I had checked it out on Google Maps and other forums just in case.) Two other guys fishing there but bags of room. Set up just as the rain started, not much and at least it wasn't windy. Fishing onto clean ground I went with small hooks for the dabs/flounders for a while then with no luck, moved onto a three hook flapper with every bait I had.
For some unknown reason about an hour before high tide, weed started to make the fishing difficult. Bites were still registering and I had 1 very small dab, 6 tings of which one was in size. They weren't particular what bait they took either. Worm, fish, squid whatever was on the hook
Knocked it on the head when the tide started to push me back onto the stones and a couple of rigs stuck on the boulders meant it was time to move or go home.
Move was a better option so I went back to Hornsea to fish the tide down. No problem parking and just two guys on the beach fishing with another car full arriving as was setting out to the beach.
Fished in the bay next to boat launching ramp and put out some huge baits to use up the last of my bait. It paid dividends as I had about 8 or 9 tings and 5 were over the 27cm mark. Called it a day at around 3.00am and got my head down in the car for a couple of hours before setting off back down south.
Good trip all round and easy fishing and access, which at 69 years old is what I want.
Appologies for the length of the report but it might make someone interesting reading and give them some ideas.
Brad
Good report and a top effort Brad, nice work

Never feels easy to change venues, but after a long trip it makes sense. Some proper effort there. Good on you.

Nice report, fair play for sticking at it and getting a good few fish out(y)(y)

Great report, enjoyed reading it ?

Back