• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South West Nightmare trip ?

Si-fly

Reaction score
Hi all.
Went out Thursday to a spot with a loooong walk!

My intention was to mainly look for a few leads on the big spring low, and then have an hour or two fishing the flood before heading home.

I arrived in good time to set the gear up just as the water was hopefully about to uncover some nice rock gullies the visiting anglers love to leave leads and tackle in ?
The tide was a bit small, but I was hopeful of finding a few.

It then dawned on me that I hadn't emptied out my tackle box, and still had spare reels, 2 scales, 3 torches, plenty of spare lead etc..... ?. I'm getting old and it was a long walk.... A bit silly leaving all that stuff in there!... ?

Anyway off I went with the bucket.

When I came back an hour or so later I put my booty on the scales..... 22lb of leads ?.... And some stretched arms!

Fook.... Getting back was going to be nasty. IMG_20211007_155750~2_resize_71.jpg

Time for a rest and some coffee..... Yep took a flask of that as well!

Time for a cast now, out with sole rigs again..... I will get one!

Off went the drag, and in came a lively little bass around 1.75lbIMG_20211007_154746~2_resize_65.jpg
A quick rebait. Then the other rod was twitching...... Wound down and felt that heavy dragging fish feel ?.... Only one thing that could be! IMG_20211007_165117~2_resize_26.jpgA channel flat Rat..... Aka. Sole bait stealer ?

Can't grumble really, I knew this spot can hold lots of rats at times.

Out with a fresh bait, and another coffee.... Yep as always off went the ratchet..... Was this my sole?.... Little rattles not too much weight..... Strap maybe?

TThen it started to kite about and became bass no2... A better fish of 3.5lb ish. IMG_20211007_164156~2_resize_42.jpgA nice bass, but still not that sole.
Another coffee before I leave (reducing the weight ?). And off goes the last rod out.... A heavy slow fish to finish Rat no2 ?IMG_20211007_172132~2_resize_27.jpg
All packed, all fish returned and off I headed..... It nearly killed me getting back the 1.5 miles over boulders etc

Was sweating buckets. Weighed the box back at the van, 59lb it went + my heavy rod holdall..... Too much for an overweight maturing lad!! ???

Time to go home.... Sole-less again ?

It was so nice out though, shame to waste the conditions. A quick call to the misses, and I was doing high.

Another 1/2 mile walk later (with an almost empty box) I was on mk2.

Out went the baits again, and I sat down and watched the sunset. IMG_20211007_183546~4_resize_1.jpgit was a cracking sky.

The fishing was however shite.... I should have gone home earlier!

Weed was a nightmare come the productive time.... Weed lifting tripod back leg off the ground a couple minutes after casting!

Did get a tiny yting, but that was it. I gave in and went home!

Cheers Si.

Hi all.

My intention was to mainly look for a few leads on the big spring low, and then have an hour or two fishing the flood before heading home.

I arrived in good time to set the gear up just as the water was hopefully about to uncover some nice rock gullies the visiting anglers love to leave leads and tackle in ?

It then dawned on me that I hadn't emptied out my tackle box, and still had spare reels, 2 scales, 3 torches, plenty of spare lead etc..... ?. I'm getting old and it was a long walk.... A bit silly leaving all that stuff in there!... ?

When I came back an hour or so later I put my booty on the scales..... 22lb of leads ?.... And some stretched arms!

Fook.... Getting back was going to be nasty. View attachment 16149

Off went the drag, and in came a lively little bass around 1.75lbView attachment 16150
A quick rebait. Then the other rod was twitching...... Wound down and felt that heavy dragging fish feel ?.... Only one thing that could be! View attachment 16151A channel flat Rat..... Aka. Sole bait stealer ?

Out with a fresh bait, and another coffee.... Yep as always off went the ratchet..... Was this my sole?.... Little rattles not too much weight..... Strap maybe?

TThen it started to kite about and became bass no2... A better fish of 3.5lb ish. View attachment 16152A nice bass, but still not that sole.
Another coffee before I leave (reducing the weight ?). And off goes the last rod out.... A heavy slow fish to finish Rat no2 ?View attachment 16154
All packed, all fish returned and off I headed..... It nearly killed me getting back the 1.5 miles over boulders etc

Was sweating buckets. Weighed the box back at the van, 59lb it went + my heavy rod holdall..... Too much for an overweight maturing lad!! ???

It was so nice out though, shame to waste the conditions. A quick call to the misses, and I was doing high.

Out went the baits again, and I sat down and watched the sunset. View attachment 16155it was a cracking sky.

Weed was a nightmare come the productive time.... Weed lifting tripod back leg off the ground a couple minutes after casting!

Cheers Si.
Another great report and nice photos Si! Couple of nice Bass & flat Rats to save the blank, and not only some spare tackle to re-use & recycle, but some rubbish removed from the shoreline too! Nice one Si! ??

My nightmare trips are casting out and weed taking everything downtide instantly and covering bait until I give up trying...free weights and some fish is all good

Hi all.

Off went the drag, and in came a lively little bass around 1.75lbView attachment 16150
A quick rebait. Then the other rod was twitching...... Wound down and felt that heavy dragging fish feel ?.... Only one thing that could be! View attachment 16151A channel flat Rat..... Aka. Sole bait stealer ?

TThen it started to kite about and became bass no2... A better fish of 3.5lb ish. View attachment 16152A nice bass, but still not that sole.
Another coffee before I leave (reducing the weight ?). And off goes the last rod out.... A heavy slow fish to finish Rat no2 ?View attachment 16154

Out went the baits again, and I sat down and watched the sunset. View attachment 16155it was a cracking sky.

Cheers Si.
What's the ground like where you are finding all the gripleads?
I only use grips on a sandy beach!

What's the ground like where you are finding all the gripleads?
I only use grips on a sandy beach!
I find plain leads as well.... If you cast or drag your lead in these rock gullies, it ain't coming back!

Ground is mixed, flat slate type rock, mud, sand corral, sand, and a gulley around 0-100y out. Depending on state of tide and size.

It only uncovers on very big springs, and on an average session it's around 100y when you start and finish, maybe 40-50 on most lows.

It runs all along one of the popular local reefs..... There are other similar gullies on other marks.... And I know mates that have picked up 300+ leads on a very big low!

Some of these leads are years old and need melting down, but helps replace losses ?

Hi all.

Cheers Si.
Great report mate, nice bass and great pics ? ?

Excellent report and photos.
With that walk its no wonder so many anglers choose to leave their leads behind!!

Excellent report and photos.
With that walk its no wonder so many anglers choose to leave their leads behind!!
There is a bit shorter walk which is the normal fishing route, but it involves a hill! Now that is even worse with a bucket of lead ?

The flat route I took was a good 2 miles to the furthest leads I found, but only 1.5 with all my gear..... Each way of course. ?

Back