• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South West No longer fiddling, but having a mental mackerel breakdown

Mr Fish

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Different spot today to see if the mackie are about.
A mate had plenty yesterday there, of a better size, around the high, so wanted to try and get another 20 or so to complete the freezer stocks for now.
Sorry, no pics of this mark I’m afraid 😬

Really meant to get there about two hours before high. As it was, sidetracked by work, my first cast went out about 25 minutes before high 🙄

I needn’t have worried! Two good sized mackerel first chuck and about 20 feet out.
I worked the area close in, had another four, but some were joeys.
Then lost a few.

But really apart from 20 minutes just after high and a couple of times when I paused for a break and let kayak tours pass, it was non stop!

A lot of the fish had these things in their mouths. Baby herring or something?

IMG_7207.jpeg

I lost my set of cut down (two) feathers and thought sod it, I’ll put some sabikis on.

They certainly worked! Three full houses in three casts.
I was using my Shakespeare Tidewater Flattie rod, rated up to 3oz.
Always found it a bit too soft for a flattie rod, but handy for float fishing and light feathering.
Light? Yes, not really made to use with four feathers 😬
The third full house was all chunky good sized fish and, schoolboy error, completely forgot myself and swung them up as if I had a beachcaster in my hand.
As you might expect…. Crack!!!

IMG_7205.jpeg

Oops. No point getting worked up. I knew damn well I’d done a stupid thing.
However… was it still usable? Cast out again and yep, fine, still getting 50-60 yards easy.
Not quite as far as it has been going but the fish were at all ranges, so I didn’t really care.
Just as I mused on that, the rod bent over again (as much as it could) and there was more mackie on it.

It really was crazy fishing and I’d forgotten how much fun it could be sometimes just to mackie bash.
The area a few feet out seemed to have a lot of tiny joeys - I kept a few, shook off quite a fair few as well.
Further out seemed to be the better fish.
But I also hooked some better ones close in and joeys at range, not to mention in between, the shoal must have been huge.

At one point I had four joeys on, looked down and a whole shoal of joeys were chasing their mates in as I reeled, absolutely nuts!
They got to tell them about their adventure because I shook those off.

I’d have been happy with 20 fish, I probably had about 30 at least.
Fun as it was, I knew I’d need to stop soon, but had a break then cast out, full house before it hit the bottom 🤦🏻‍♂️

Couple more casts, more fish but at range and all but one fell off each time.
Nae bother. Few more.

Phoned a mate and said did he and his mrs want any fresh mackerel. Yes please but not loads. Four okay? Perfect.

I thought I’ll have a few more casts, get his four, then go.
Only took two casts 🙄

ONE more cast! Yet more! Fish in a barrel.

Right, that was it. I estimated I had about 40 and that was way plenty for what I wanted.

The cool bag felt pretty heavy too and it was a fair walk back up the cliff!

IMG_7206.jpeg

Went down and gutted the fresher ones (two were still twitching) and set off home to try and find room in the freezer.

I worked out my last 10 casts must all have picked up fish, not one blank cast.

And more than 20 of those fish came in on a busted rod 😂😂😂

No more mackerelling for me! Although… I have a comp this weekend… may try and winkle out a bigger one on the float…

Last edited:
Great report Mr Fish, top dangling mate. You and Tats have a few "secret marks" don't you.. ;)

Ian.

Sounds like Loch Fyne in the late 70s. I got 33 Mackerel in 33 casts on an Abu krill lure, that's when old Father Warby noticed the pile surrounding me and called a hault to me emptying the loch
Haha, yep need to know when to stop. It is addictive, I probably took 10 more than I really meant to, but they’ll get used.

Anyway, there wasn’t much more room in me coolbag 😬 Not to mention it was quite heavy by then!

Well done Mr fish , all the macky must be up your way , none down here yesterday pm
Cheers John! Yep we’ve kidnapped them all!

It’s actually rare for us to get this many. Down south you can (usually) count on a few per session if you target them, but up here they come and go.

As I knew for sure they were about, thought I couldn’t pass up the opportunity!

Cheers John! Yep we’ve kidnapped them all!

It’s actually rare for us to get this many. Down south you can (usually) count on a few per session if you target them, but up here they come and go.

As I knew for sure they were about, thought I couldn’t pass up the opportunity!
This is a small section of sea from yesterday pm when I blanked IMG_0182.jpegIMG_0181.jpegIMG_0180.jpeg

Nice report Tony, like John said, not many Macker about down here. 🎣🎣👍👍

Last session with John out at Beesands was great. Blanked on the Bait rods, but about every hour, a huge shoal of Mackerel would pass by, chasing a 1ft wide carpet of Bait fish up on the shingle. They must having been working their way up & down the coast, as nothing for the next hour, and then they would be back again. Great sport on the Lure rod with a SG seeker, one at a time. Had 6 decent ones in the end for the pan, put a few Joeys back, and called a halt. Wish I'd taken more home as Wifey gave half of them to her Daughter! 🙄🙄

Different spot today to see if the mackie are about.
A mate had plenty yesterday there, of a better size, around the high, so wanted to try and get another 20 or so to complete the freezer stocks for now.
Sorry, no pics of this mark I’m afraid 😬

Really meant to get there about two hours before high. As it was, sidetracked by work, my first cast went out about 25 minutes before high 🙄

I needn’t have worried! Two good sized mackerel first chuck and about 20 feet out.
I worked the area close in, had another four, but some were joeys.
Then lost a few.

But really apart from 20 minutes just after high and a couple of times when I paused for a break and let kayak tours pass, it was non stop!

A lot of the fish had these things in their mouths. Baby herring or something?

View attachment 48064

I lost my set of cut down (two) feathers and thought sod it, I’ll put some sabikis on.

They certainly worked! Three full houses in three casts.
I was using my Shakespeare Tidewater Flattie rod, rated up to 3oz.
Always found it a bit too soft for a flattie rod, but handy for float fishing and light feathering.
Light? Yes, not really made to use with four feathers 😬
The third full house was all chunky good sized fish and, schoolboy error, completely forgot myself and swung them up as if I had a beachcaster in my hand.
As you might expect…. Crack!!!

View attachment 48066

Oops. No point getting worked up. I knew damn well I’d done a stupid thing.
However… was it still usable? Cast out again and yep, fine, still getting 50-60 yards easy.
Not quite as far as it has been going but the fish were at all ranges, so I didn’t really care.
Just as I mused on that, the rod bent over again (as much as it could) and there was more mackie on it.

It really was crazy fishing and I’d forgotten how much fun it could be sometimes just to mackie bash.
The area a few feet out seemed to have a lot of tiny joeys - I kept a few, shook off quite a fair few as well.
Further out seemed to be the better fish.
But I also hooked some better ones close in and joeys at range, not to mention in between, the shoal must have been huge.

At one point I had four joeys on, looked down and a whole shoal of joeys were chasing their mates in as I reeled, absolutely nuts!
They got to tell them about their adventure because I shook those off.

I’d have been happy with 20 fish, I probably had about 30 at least.
Fun as it was, I knew I’d need to stop soon, but had a break then cast out, full house before it hit the bottom 🤦🏻‍♂️

Couple more casts, more fish but at range and all but one fell off each time.
Nae bother. Few more.

Phoned a mate and said did he and his mrs want any fresh mackerel. Yes please but not loads. Four okay? Perfect.

I thought I’ll have a few more casts, get his four, then go.
Only took two casts 🙄

ONE more cast! Yet more! Fish in a barrel.

Right, that was it. I estimated I had about 40 and that was way plenty for what I wanted.

The cool bag felt pretty heavy too and it was a fair walk back up the cliff!

View attachment 48067

Went down and gutted the fresher ones (two were still twitching) and set off home to try and find room in the freezer.

I worked out my last 10 casts must all have picked up fish, not one blank cast.

And more than 20 of those fish came in on a busted rod 😂😂😂

No more mackerelling for me! Although… I have a comp this weekend… may try and winkle out a bigger one on the float…
same thing happened to me last friday at dover beach, got fed up catching them in the end and was giving them away to people walking along the beach, good fun though.

Back