• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South West No need to go to sea...

Plaicehunter

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Lure
...to get your string pulled by a big fish!
The Tamar is famed for heavy conger, and two came my way in a four-hour uptiding session this morning, just downstream from the Torpoint ferries.
I fished three rods: a downtider with a legered live pout, a light uptider with two-hook flapper for whiting and a heavier uptider with a whole squid or a whole joey mackerel for bigger fish.
I'd caught some decent whiting and a 10lb conger when I pulled in the big rod to find the head and shoulders of a near-2lb whiting. An eel had beaten me to it!
The next whiting was a lovely sample at 1-11, but the next fish dwarfed it. A classic drop-back bite on the big rod saw me wind down and lift into a powerful fish which gave me a real workout in a fast ebb tide.
My attempt to film the scrap on my phone proved how hard it is play an angry 6ft eel with one hand!
Eventually I dragged it alongside and T-barred it off, as like the first eel it was lip-hooked.
The next bite came on the whiting rod, and I hoped the thumping fight would turn into my second cod of the winter; it was a 5lb eel, neatly lip-hooked.
Packing up was nearly complete when the big rod dropped back again and I found myself playing another big eel, which fought hard with crash-dives, vicious head-shakes and high-speed spinning. This one had to be cut free , as only the top hook of the pennell was visible.
You don't have to steam over the horizon to enjoy exciting sport! PH

Attachments

• IMG_20210117_120933.jpg
    IMG_20210117_120933.jpg
    334 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_20210117_095020.jpg
    IMG_20210117_095020.jpg
    368.2 KB · Views: 39
nice did u get any footage in the end of the biggun ?

I pause and take a screenshot of videos to get the pics...u probably already do that but when i told my dad he didn't have a clue that was possible lol saying that he had a go pro thought he was filming a whole French trip but got home hadn't got any footage forgot to push record haha

Yes I got some shaky footage but I can't seem to upload it here. If you are on WhatsApp send me a message on 07941 427341 and I will send you the video. PH

I pause and take a screenshot of videos to get the pics...u probably already do that but when i told my dad he didn't have a clue that was possible lol saying that he had a go pro thought he was filming a whole French trip but got home hadn't got any footage forgot to push record haha
The video came out but I don't seem to be able to post it on here. I'm not very technical! PH

Great sized eels there and a feed too, fantastic session (y).

Sounds like a good session there with some good eel action and whiting for tea.

The video came out but I don't seem to be able to post it on here. I'm not very technical! PH
I think, and I could be wrong, if you're using a PC with WIndows, find the video in explorer and right click on it. Select 'copy' and then click on the 'insert image' icon on here to the left of the emojis, and select 'paste' It should paste a video the same as an image? Not tried it, but if I can find a suitable video :))) I'll give it a try!

Update: OK, my bad. It didn't work. I'll investigate further or perhaps someone else will come along with the info.

Another update: I think it can't be done direct from a computer to the forum. It seems the only way to do it is upload the video to a hosting site like Vimeo or Youtube, and link it from there. I have asked @Mike in the forum questions & suggestions so perhaps keep an eye on that thread for further developments.

Last edited:
You might not be able to upload videos to this site. But, perhaps the way is to add the video to one of the other systems, YouTube, G drive, Dropbox or something and set the video file to anyone with a link can view. Copy the url link and then on this forum use the link icon ( looks like a paper clip) and paste the link there.

This way you can share the video without this forum requiring extra file storage costs from the forum hosts.

I’m no expert but think it could be a possibility.

Edit Vimeo was the other that I couldn’t remember the name of,

You might not be able to upload videos to this site. But, perhaps the way is to add the video to one of the other systems, YouTube, G drive, Dropbox or something and set the video file to anyone with a link can view. Copy the url link and then on this forum use the link icon ( looks like a paper clip) and paste the link there.

This way you can share the video without this forum requiring extra file storage costs from the forum hosts.

I’m no expert but think it could be a possibility.

Edit Vimeo was the other that I couldn’t remember the name of,
I've been experimenting for half an hour and also drawn a blank. If you click on the media button to the right of the emojis, it gives a list of acceptable sites from which you can link a video.

That's it, I didn't see the list last time I looked. So yes, add the video to Vimeo or your YouTube and off you go. I don't have any of my own video material to test it. No doubt it's like this

Comrades, I have turned my pathetic attempt at videoing into a YouTube video called Conger battle on the Tamar. It goes blank part-way through but I haven't got to grips with editing yet. Lasts just over a minute. Enjoy! PH

nice tussle with a big fish at this time of year looks good. had a look on the video havnt got whataspp if previous message was for me mate don't even go on youtibe for fishing vids much but had a watch of yours well done ... havnt had anything that pulls back in the sea since October bassin lol

Comrades, I have turned my pathetic attempt at videoing into a YouTube video called Conger battle on the Tamar. It goes blank part-way through but I haven't got to grips with editing yet. Lasts just over a minute. Enjoy! PH

Nice on mate, as you said quite a tide running there. Looks like a GoPro is next on your list of purchases. - a YouTuber in the making ?. Easy to make a direct link to the video from here if you want.

Back