• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

North Cornwall.

The Third Earl

Reaction score
Arrived on Saturday, car packed with all sorts of gear, my rock rods and reels for a planned assault on the Cliff Marks that I have got to know over the past years.I also had packed a load of freshwater gear , as next week we are staying on the River Teme, so Barbel fishing is my plan there.

Anyway… Saturday had a very quick half hour on the rock platforms fluff chucking . Not a sniff of interest, but hardly suprising as there was a bit of sea running. No Matter, I have plenty of Frozen Mackerel, fresh caught at Hartlepool, Squid,and Razor, all three will catch here I know.

Forward to Sunday . Went out to fish a couple of hours up and down, the sea had grown, with some fair sets coming in from the West, made things difficult, so dropped to one rod, the Wrasse gear was put aside as the waves were crashing into the cliff base gullies where the wrasse live. Not a hope of a bite there , the gear was dancing all over the place , I had my doubts about the big rod and big bait, but I have had Bass here before in these conditions so long as the bait, big and smelly, is put out beyond the sand scour line.

IMG_8843.jpeg

You can only catch if your gear is in the water. Sadly this time all I managed was weed. So two nil to Lundy Bay.

This evening I thought maybe try again, so back to the rock mark , intention was to fish two down two up this time.The tides are growing this week so I am praying for some good weather .
Shit….. when I arrived at the mark the sea looked OK, well, looked OK between the sets , every seventh wave or so a set of big rollers appeared. I thought , oh well in for a penny etc etc…. one cast and a big set of rollers arrived I felt fairly confident as I have fished here lots of times in all sorts of conditions, and never had a problem with sea or surf.
Suddenly there wqs a huge crash from behind me and a wall of water ran up the gulley and over the whole of the rock mark somehow I managed to stay halfdry, but that was not what concerned me, at the same time as the water teemed over, a lump of slate about the size of two housebricks landed just at the back and side of me and shattered like a grenade, shards of slate everywhere .

That was enough . I decided discretion being the better part of valour I would bugger off sharpish.

Wifey had walked up to Trevan Point to the left of where I was fishing , and had been watching and taking Photos, no doubt mentally dusting off the insurance policies .

Here are a couple.

IMG_1724.jpeg

And when a bigger set hit . You can see the size of the waves growing off to the left of the picture .

IMG_1725.jpeg

Anyway, not being one to shirk responsibility, I buggered off not wanting to either drown or be brained by flying slate , intentions of staying until dark were washed away . Wifey came to the cliff top behind me to see me tabbing back up the hill . Retired to the cottage and everything is now drying .

How I ever got to 70 years old plus is beyond me, I must have more lives than a cat .

Looking forwards, the weather looks set to stay this way for the rest of our week here so hoping for something better on the River Teme knowing my luck it will persist it down and be in flood and unfishable.

Dave

Good report Dave - sounds like you had a lucky escape.
Looking at your photos, those are rock marks I can't get to anymore - just as well methinks..

Arrived on Saturday, car packed with all sorts of gear, my rock rods and reels for a planned assault on the Cliff Marks that I have got to know over the past years.I also had packed a load of freshwater gear , as next week we are staying on the River Teme, so Barbel fishing is my plan there.

Anyway… Saturday had a very quick half hour on the rock platforms fluff chucking . Not a sniff of interest, but hardly suprising as there was a bit of sea running. No Matter, I have plenty of Frozen Mackerel, fresh caught at Hartlepool, Squid,and Razor, all three will catch here I know.

Forward to Sunday . Went out to fish a couple of hours up and down, the sea had grown, with some fair sets coming in from the West, made things difficult, so dropped to one rod, the Wrasse gear was put aside as the waves were crashing into the cliff base gullies where the wrasse live. Not a hope of a bite there , the gear was dancing all over the place , I had my doubts about the big rod and big bait, but I have had Bass here before in these conditions so long as the bait, big and smelly, is put out beyond the sand scour line.

View attachment 51558

You can only catch if your gear is in the water. Sadly this time all I managed was weed. So two nil to Lundy Bay.

This evening I thought maybe try again, so back to the rock mark , intention was to fish two down two up this time.The tides are growing this week so I am praying for some good weather .
Shit….. when I arrived at the mark the sea looked OK, well, looked OK between the sets , every seventh wave or so a set of big rollers appeared. I thought , oh well in for a penny etc etc…. one cast and a big set of rollers arrived I felt fairly confident as I have fished here lots of times in all sorts of conditions, and never had a problem with sea or surf.
Suddenly there wqs a huge crash from behind me and a wall of water ran up the gulley and over the whole of the rock mark somehow I managed to stay halfdry, but that was not what concerned me, at the same time as the water teemed over, a lump of slate about the size of two housebricks landed just at the back and side of me and shattered like a grenade, shards of slate everywhere .

That was enough . I decided discretion being the better part of valour I would bugger off sharpish.

Wifey had walked up to Trevan Point to the left of where I was fishing , and had been watching and taking Photos, no doubt mentally dusting off the insurance policies .

Here are a couple.

View attachment 51560

And when a bigger set hit . You can see the size of the waves growing off to the left of the picture .

View attachment 51564

Anyway, not being one to shirk responsibility, I buggered off not wanting to either drown or be brained by flying slate , intentions of staying until dark were washed away . Wifey came to the cliff top behind me to see me tabbing back up the hill . Retired to the cottage and everything is now drying .

How I ever got to 70 years old plus is beyond me, I must have more lives than a cat .

Looking forwards, the weather looks set to stay this way for the rest of our week here so hoping for something better on the River Teme knowing my luck it will persist it down and be in flood and unfishable.

Dave

Was in the same area myself last week Dave. (w/c 23rd Sept) Only took minimal gear as I’d looked at the forecast and realised fishing was looking dubious due to the lows building out in the Atlantic. Decided to give it a go on the Sunday evening as the wind was southerly at that point, so was safe enough to give the rocks a go. Headed up the coast path from Boscastle to Warren Point and very gingerly edged down to a ledge on the north side about 40 feet above the sea. Those Cornish slate rocks are lethal in the wet and even in the dry can catch you out as ground water still constantly seeps out. Negotiated my way down by removing my boots, gained much better feel and grip in my socks.

Set the feathers up with a silvery leaded lure on the bottom, mainly looking for a mackerel or two for bait, but also hoping for a pollack or bass on the lure.
Flogged away for an hour or two, with the nett result 3 pollack the size of fairground goldfish, a mackerel barely as big as the lure and the cutest, smallest garfish I’ve ever seen. It was so small that when I unhooked it, I put it in a small pool of water and started to set up my float gear for a bass, as at first glance I’d thought it was a launce and I was going to livebait it under the float. Realising my mistake, it was hastily returned to the briny. And that, apart from losing something slightly larger that did pull back for a minute or two, was it.
Headed back to the cottage and the wife (after a consolation pint in the Cobweb) and that was the sum total of my fishing for the week! Hey-ho, you can’t win them all, but a score draw would be nice now and then. No photos, would have needed a macro lens on the camera to capture those specimens.

Bob.

I think I know that ledge Bob, in fact I was there yesterday, the sea was still pushing. I have had mackerel and pollack from that ledge,but did not bother taking any gear .
A great view back toward Boscastle ..

View attachment 51636

Dave
You’d have to be brave to get a boat in there..😳

I'm down to Porthilly for a couple of weeks in he first half of November. Luckily I can fish the estuary if its rough, or Daymer /Greenaway if not too bad. I've had good days at lundy bay too ... but it is exposed ....

Are studded boots any good on those rocks? I put some of the screw-in Supatrack studs in my wellingtons and they are great for rocks covered in a thin layer of weed. Not sure if they'd help on Cornish slate though.

Studs on slate are not so good in my experience, they do slide until they come to a ridge , channel or lower layer of slate , then they either almost stop the slide, interupt it, or just do nothing at all .
TBH I just wear my Berghause walking boots with good solid vibram soles which are good enough for my needs .
Years ago I had a pair of Zamberlaine
4 season boots which were the best I have ever had expensive but well worth it , but cannot now find an identical pair . No idea what the soles were made from but I have never since found anything to compare with them .
Not thought about getting a new pair of Zambos as I have a pair of Berghause and a Pair of Brashers to wear out first.

Dave

I'm down to Porthilly for a couple of weeks in he first half of November. Luckily I can fish the estuary if its rough, or Daymer /Greenaway if not too bad. I've had good days at lundy bay too ... but it is exposed ....
My lad fished the camel last week with a pop up launce bait for bass and had the biggest mack I've ever seen nearly pull his rod off the tripod .. he found the pop ups worked well from the weed and crabs.

Are studded boots any good on those rocks? I put some of the screw-in Supatrack studs in my wellingtons and they are great for rocks covered in a thin layer of weed. Not sure if they'd help on Cornish slate though.
Depends how hard the studs are

Back