• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South East North Kent Spikeys

Stormtrooper

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Hi all. So I fished locally for 7hrs on Sunday night and had only 2 dogs for my efforts, it wasn’t my finest hour by any means.
I had no designs to fish the following night but was invited out for a session on the bass with Alan (action man) and accepted with little persuasion. I was run ragged at work but just about managed to squeeze in a visit to Ron Edwards and picked up 1/4lbs of ragworm for the trip. They were absolutely top quality worms, I was really pleased!!
I got to the mark for about 8pm, Alan was already set up and I set about doing the same. Both rods were loaded with rag on pulley droppers and sent out. I had a third rod but couldn’t be bothered to set it up straight away, the plan was to drop a squid in close in it later on as the tide came up.
Less than half hour elapsed before Alan had the first fish, a basslet around 15cm but a good sign they were around. I then had a decent bite if not a little “flappy”. I wound down and could feel a fish but I didn’t think I’d hooked it properly. I wound like the clappers trying to catch up with it as it seemingly swum towards me and it wasn’t until it was about 20yds out it tried to turn and I was certain it was hooked.
My first bass of the night went 44cm, 1lbs 12oz, result!!
Within minutes, before I’d returned the first rod to the sea, the second started bouncing merrily. I struck in and the whole experience was nigh on identical to the first! The only difference being that this fish was marginally bigger at 49cm, 2lbs 5oz. Two casts and two sizeable fish, this was looking to be a belter of a session!
Having sorted the fish, taken some snaps and returned them both (I’ve already got a couple of bass in the freezer, no need to be greedy!), I quickly re-baited the first rod and decided to give it a bit of welly on the cast.
Having recently cleaned and serviced the reel, the inevitable happened and it over-ran when it hit the water. It wasn’t an awful nest and easily sortable but as I started to unpick it, I could feel solid thumps coming down the rod!! Unbelievably, I had a fish on with the bait only being in the water a matter of seconds!! Working as quickly as I could, I cleared the nest and wound down, as I struck in I could feel the fish fight back. Moments later my third bass in as many casts slid up the beach. Not dissimilar in size, it went 45cm, 1lbs 14oz.
I was knackered but poor Alan was still waiting for some action and could only look on in bewilderment.
I got myself sorted and both rods were out fishing again but the shoal must’ve moved off because it went very quiet for the next couple of hours.
HW came and went with Alan and I both landing a tiny schoolie each.
About an hour down, I had another decent bite which resulted in my 4th sizeable fish of the night, another at 45cm but much fatter weighing 2lbs 2oz.
Finally, Alan managed a sizeable fish which understandably relieved some of his frustration, another nice fatty at 48cm (if I recall) but I didn’t get the weight.
We fished on until there was literally no water left with just minor rattles to keep our interest and packed up soon after midnight.
A fun session which certainly made up for the lacklustre Sunday night! 8DF7E5AF-E906-480A-B2F7-6E3E37546EA9.jpeg96BF1CF0-B53B-4B1D-A2B9-E0725BCDE52F.jpeg35940671-200D-49B8-91B9-EBBEF5E5D2D5.jpegB058B0F9-F0E8-40D9-91B1-443B4910E6EF.jpeg1B898BCA-9FC1-4C7D-BBEF-0F6DA6A2DC29.jpegDF7FBC8A-2D51-4C26-AA43-BA5D5C2EFB46.jpeg79226E85-F248-4FCD-BC2C-0B58D1CA4725.jpeg86C9641F-1438-45B4-902F-B9287C233863.jpegEBABBADC-77F9-47F1-BA5E-A9FBE07872CB.jpeg567A45E6-27FB-4B6A-BB9A-82743A956EA0.jpeg

Last edited:
Great bit of sport. What a difference a day makes!
Slightly different venue but only a few miles apart. I’m not sure if I was more pleased to catch bass than to NOT catch dogfish!!

Great report, and nice fish. (y)

Ian.

Great session that mate! And yes if I hadn’t found that 48cm Spikey, then I would have well and truly thrown a hissy-fit! Top dangling mate and certainly made up for the doggies the night before!

View attachment 17413
“Hissy-fit”!! ???

Well done on the Bass session Stormzy! Great report and some nice photos! ??

Hi all. So I fished locally for 7hrs on Sunday night and had only 2 dogs for my efforts, it wasn’t my finest hour by any means.
I had no designs to fish the following night but was invited out for a session on the bass with Alan (action man) and accepted with little persuasion. I was run ragged at work but just about managed to squeeze in a visit to Ron Edwards and picked up 1/4lbs of ragworm for the trip. They were absolutely top quality worms, I was really pleased!!
I got to the mark for about 8pm, Alan was already set up and I set about doing the same. Both rods were loaded with rag on pulley droppers and sent out. I had a third rod but couldn’t be bothered to set it up straight away, the plan was to drop a squid in close in it later on as the tide came up.
Less than half hour elapsed before Alan had the first fish, a basslet around 15cm but a good sign they were around. I then had a decent bite if not a little “flappy”. I wound down and could feel a fish but I didn’t think I’d hooked it properly. I wound like the clappers trying to catch up with it as it seemingly swum towards me and it wasn’t until it was about 20yds out it tried to turn and I was certain it was hooked.
My first bass of the night went 44cm, 1lbs 12oz, result!!
Within minutes, before I’d returned the first rod to the sea, the second started bouncing merrily. I struck in and the whole experience was nigh on identical to the first! The only difference being that this fish was marginally bigger at 49cm, 2lbs 5oz. Two casts and two sizeable fish, this was looking to be a belter of a session!
Having sorted the fish, taken some snaps and returned them both (I’ve already got a couple of bass in the freezer, no need to be greedy!), I quickly re-baited the first rod and decided to give it a bit of welly on the cast.
Having recently cleaned and serviced the reel, the inevitable happened and it over-ran when it hit the water. It wasn’t an awful nest and easily sortable but as I started to unpick it, I could feel solid thumps coming down the rod!! Unbelievably, I had a fish on with the bait only being in the water a matter of seconds!! Working as quickly as I could, I cleared the nest and wound down, as I struck in I could feel the fish fight back. Moments later my third bass in as many casts slid up the beach. Not dissimilar in size, it went 45cm, 1lbs 14oz.
I was knackered but poor Alan was still waiting for some action and could only look on in bewilderment.
I got myself sorted and both rods were out fishing again but the shoal must’ve moved off because it went very quiet for the next couple of hours.
HW came and went with Alan and I both landing a tiny schoolie each.
About an hour down, I had another decent bite which resulted in my 4th sizeable fish of the night, another at 45cm but much fatter weighing 2lbs 2oz.
Finally, Alan managed a sizeable fish which understandably relieved some of his frustration, another nice fatty at 48cm (if I recall) but I didn’t get the weight.
We fished on until there was literally no water left with just minor rattles to keep our interest and packed up soon after midnight.
A fun session which certainly made up for the lacklustre Sunday night! View attachment 17376View attachment 17377View attachment 17378View attachment 17379View attachment 17380View attachment 17381View attachment 17382View attachment 17383View attachment 17384View attachment 17385
I think you are definitely getting the hang of this ? ? ?

Back