• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Humber & East Coast Not a catch report...

RichfromLincs

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
I'm sure many of you saw the build-up to last night's outing but, to cut a long story short;

I started coarse fishing at around 8 years old and a, few years later, dabbled a bit with sea fishing whenever I could persuade my poor dad to take me - only a handful of trips really and didn't catch a thing apart from one I lost off folkstone pier.

Now, around 25yrs later, I was given some gear by someone who's packing up. It looks almost unused but none of it's anything fancy. I've been itching to get out ever since.

I'm not working at the moment so needed to keep costs down. I did the 3 for £10 bait at Morrisons and, after tea, pointed the car at the Lincolnshire coast. That's where the problems started! I didn't set the (built in) satnav going until I was past half way as I had a rough idea where I was going - wouldn't work, apparently the DVD that's been in it since 2007 isn't a map dvd anymore.... the GPS on my phone also is virtually useless.

Thankfully, I have a good sense of direction and arrived at huttoft at about 19:20. Anyone who knows the beach and the tides will likely already see my mistake (I wasn't to know though)....

After a brief chat with a local angler about parking, I grabbed my stuff and trudged off to a spot recommended by a member on here (kris iirc). Setup seemed to take a long time but the excitement was slowly building.

My initial casts into the high tide were a little disappointing, I was trying not to be too violent and cast the bait off - now that I've seen the steep gully in front of where I was, a little further with the first few casts may have made all the difference.

After a few casts though, I was into the swing of things and my raw half king prawns and razor clams were staying on even with me casting more or less to the limit of my ability.

The major problem was my leads not holding. One was doing ok but the other became a bit of a headache and I suspect bite detection was virtually impossible as a result. A few 6oz leads would make a big difference I think - again, someone recommended that but I'm having to be careful with money at the moment

As the tide started to go back out, I managed a quick photo for you guys View attachment 20210527_205441.jpg

I hoped there'd be one of something I caught, though I had to accept it'd probably be in the dark.

I was having a nice time, lounging around on my chair and watching the rod tips nodding like an oil well's nodding donkey. I just hoped one of those bass or even a dog would turn up as I don't think I would have noticed a bite from anything less. I had a couple of well mullered baits that seemed to prove that theory too.

The tide hadn't gone far out but, as the sun started to fade and I began to notice the cold, all of the other anglers vanished. I did think about following suit but it was a long drive for a couple of hours' fishing so I stayed put.

There was a good reason for everyone else packing up though! Within about half an hour, the sea was about 12' below me, I'd been at the top of a steep bank all along! I persevered and moved down towards it before sending both rods out again but, as it turns out, once the tide got to the bottom of the bank it recedes at almost walking pace!!

I had one last cast and put everything away that wasn't needed before going back to start taking the rods down. I suspect my leads were now virtually on dry land!

Back at the car, I was relieved to find I'd got away without a parking ticket. The bloody satnav still didn't want to know but I can't say it was a bad evening, I thoroughly enjoyed myself and can't wait to go back.

What did I learn? The old adage of "time spent on reconnaissance is seldom wasted" fits this one particularly well, if I'd been set up and fishing an hour earlier and known what was in front of me, I feel I would have given myself a much better chance.

I only took a relatively cheap head torch, not wanting to lose my expensive one. I really wished I had a better one a few times though so that's something to remember next time.

So, I'll invest in some heavier leads and get there earlier next time and hopefully turn things around

Attachments

• 20210527_205441.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 23
Great report Rich, even if you didn't manage to lure a Fishy up onto the sand! Rods in rest look the business anyway! Sounds like a lot learned and a good start for next time! ??

Shame you didn’t catch Rich but a great write up of your blank! You were fishing a fairly big tide so it was always going to be testing with the tide pulling your weights around. With regards your head torch, I did a couple of years with a Chinese one I bought off e bay for a tenner and it was very bright! Other thing.....get a map!! Sat navs are fine when they work but a map book shoved under your car seat and you will always be able to find your way!

Last edited:
Good effort mate bit of food for Fought were u useing grip leads if not maybe have a look at them and when it comes to bait don’t have to spend a fortune but along with hooks the most important thing is bait couple quid of worm is sometimes the difference between fish or a blank mate but if you can get to a tAkle shop there frozen bait will be better than a supermarkets and Mac and squid doesn’t have to cost the earth and orso get some bait elastic to bind your bait to the hook making sure the hook points always proud of the bait this way you can put more power in yet cast and I recon the mullerd baits sounds like crabs bud but keep at it your soon be pi55 Ed off with dogfish like the rest of us ???

I have a map... and I'm a lorry driver (for my sins). Sadly, there seems to be a shortage of signs and laybys to check the map but I didn't do too bad; only 5-10 mins more than Google said.

Anyway, you're right about the big tide - I'm hoping to go back after the half term so I'll try to get some bigger weights organised in time for that

Sorry Joe, I missed your reply;

Yeah, was using grippers (5oz) and bait elastic, hook points showing too (but thankyou for saying, just in case I didn't know)

Different baits next time I go too, if I can
5oz weights would generally be fine Rich and more pleasant to fish with in between the big tides. Sometimes on the big tides with swell even 8oz are back on the beach in 5 minutes!
Difficult to explain but on a strong tide when it is coming in it’s pushing from left to right.....so.....instead of casting straight out from your tripod, walk left for say 20m and cast out . Don’t pull your line tight, leave a bow in it, walk back to tripod and gently take up a bit of slack and place rod in tripod. Hopefully the tide will have dragged your weight into a position where it will hold......dosnt always work but usually does apart from real adverse conditions.

A good first effort. It sounds as if you learned a lot and there really is no shortcut to just getting out on the beach and having a go.

Some good advice here already. Totally agree with Tat’s point about bait. Appreciate money is tight but fresh worm or tackle shop bait will as he said always be far superior to supermarket stuff.
I have noticed that newcomers to sea fishing often ‘make do’ with whatever they have or can get - and I was exactly the same. Took me years before I twigged that buying decent fit for purpose clothing was a lot better than making do with the old coats I had in the shed ?
Similar story with headlamps for me.

But I realise you can’t go out right now and start throwing money around - it’s far more important to get out there and fish however you can.
As time goes on you’ll get a better feel for what you need, and it doesn’t always have to be expensive kit either.

Early days I know, but if you can arrange a trip with a more experienced fishing buddy in that area, it’ll improve things leaps and bounds.
Just one session will teach you a huge amount.

Good report mate and some good advice in the comments too. I find when I blank, it just makes me want to get back and settle the score!

Hi pity blanked but your not alone as many that have fished for years Blank!
Cast up the tide ie if left to right cast to left then allow line out so has a bow in it and deeper water allow for lead to sink/settle before tightening up keep practising will soon find out how much to allow/let out.
That tripod that part you have at angle is meant to be straight across side to side to keep it square! then bog chain hold back part.

What are the rods and reels as reels don't look matched so might find if rods different the smaller reel on lighter rod will be better ?

Re light if using FS's you only really need light for baiting up and you could find some tip lights etc then sit in dark watching them much prefer to looking like Blackpool illuminations have crash landed on the beach! plus often find likes of Bass will come in close if just using minimal light and quiet.
If you was closer could give you some leads and bits.

Sat Navs rot your Brain atleast have a gander over maps and google flaps even if that's often shocking as find wrong routes and often fails when trying to pick route up and drop to go a route want but then throws a wobbly!
Used to go everywhere with maps and A2Z's even get a clip board then short hand a route so can understand it! ie A11-rnd 2left-B123-right fork-B435-3rd right used that many times even with a bit of drawing you soon know your way once doing as you remember map!

Analogue Tom Tom Pickles Brains(What ones they have if any)of iPhoners as they can't do anything unless on an App! have to ask Siri to go to Kharzy!

Last edited:
Good report mate and some good advice in the comments too. I find when I blank, it just makes me want to get back and settle the score!
You're right there fella, I'm just a bit excited about getting back out! Unfortunately for me, it looks like it'll be roughly a week on Thursday before the tides fall how I want them to.

As a side note, can anyone recommend somewhere to look up tide times? Most only seem to do the next 5 days or a week, a longer range forecast would be helpful

Hi pity blanked but your not alone as many that have fished for years Blank!
Cast up the tide ie if left to right cast to left then allow line out so has a bow in it and deeper water allow for lead to sink/settle before tightening up keep practising will soon find out how much to allow/let out.
That tripod that part you have at angle is meant to be straight across side to side to keep it square! then bog chain hold back part.

What are the rods and reels as reels don't look matched so might find if rods different the smaller reel on lighter rod will be better ?

If you was closer could give you some leads and bits.
Thankyou, I'd been wondering about that tripod - it didn't seem to want to open wider and I didn't want to force it, it must just be stiff

Rods, iirc aren't the same obviously but the casting weights are (I'll double check) though the one with foam handle had a nicer action in my opinion.

You're right there fella, I'm just a bit excited about getting back out! Unfortunately for me, it looks like it'll be roughly a week on Thursday before the tides fall how I want them to.

As a side note, can anyone recommend somewhere to look up tide times? Most only seem to do the next 5 days or a week, a longer range forecast would be helpful

Phone ones are Tides near me.plus others can find in devices assigned store and download

Thankyou, I'd been wondering about that tripod - it didn't seem to want to open wider and I didn't want to force it, it must just be stiff

Rods, iirc aren't the same obviously but the casting weights are (I'll double check) though the one with foam handle had a nicer action in my opinion.
Tripods same as Daiwa and others

I'm sure many of you saw the build-up to last night's outing but, to cut a long story short;

I started coarse fishing at around 8 years old and a, few years later, dabbled a bit with sea fishing whenever I could persuade my poor dad to take me - only a handful of trips really and didn't catch a thing apart from one I lost off folkstone pier.

Now, around 25yrs later, I was given some gear by someone who's packing up. It looks almost unused but none of it's anything fancy. I've been itching to get out ever since.

I'm not working at the moment so needed to keep costs down. I did the 3 for £10 bait at Morrisons and, after tea, pointed the car at the Lincolnshire coast. That's where the problems started! I didn't set the (built in) satnav going until I was past half way as I had a rough idea where I was going - wouldn't work, apparently the DVD that's been in it since 2007 isn't a map dvd anymore.... the GPS on my phone also is virtually useless.

Thankfully, I have a good sense of direction and arrived at huttoft at about 19:20. Anyone who knows the beach and the tides will likely already see my mistake (I wasn't to know though)....

After a brief chat with a local angler about parking, I grabbed my stuff and trudged off to a spot recommended by a member on here (kris iirc). Setup seemed to take a long time but the excitement was slowly building.

My initial casts into the high tide were a little disappointing, I was trying not to be too violent and cast the bait off - now that I've seen the steep gully in front of where I was, a little further with the first few casts may have made all the difference.

After a few casts though, I was into the swing of things and my raw half king prawns and razor clams were staying on even with me casting more or less to the limit of my ability.

The major problem was my leads not holding. One was doing ok but the other became a bit of a headache and I suspect bite detection was virtually impossible as a result. A few 6oz leads would make a big difference I think - again, someone recommended that but I'm having to be careful with money at the moment

As the tide started to go back out, I managed a quick photo for you guys View attachment 9814

I hoped there'd be one of something I caught, though I had to accept it'd probably be in the dark.

I was having a nice time, lounging around on my chair and watching the rod tips nodding like an oil well's nodding donkey. I just hoped one of those bass or even a dog would turn up as I don't think I would have noticed a bite from anything less. I had a couple of well mullered baits that seemed to prove that theory too.

The tide hadn't gone far out but, as the sun started to fade and I began to notice the cold, all of the other anglers vanished. I did think about following suit but it was a long drive for a couple of hours' fishing so I stayed put.

There was a good reason for everyone else packing up though! Within about half an hour, the sea was about 12' below me, I'd been at the top of a steep bank all along! I persevered and moved down towards it before sending both rods out again but, as it turns out, once the tide got to the bottom of the bank it recedes at almost walking pace!!

I had one last cast and put everything away that wasn't needed before going back to start taking the rods down. I suspect my leads were now virtually on dry land!

Back at the car, I was relieved to find I'd got away without a parking ticket. The bloody satnav still didn't want to know but I can't say it was a bad evening, I thoroughly enjoyed myself and can't wait to go back.

What did I learn? The old adage of "time spent on reconnaissance is seldom wasted" fits this one particularly well, if I'd been set up and fishing an hour earlier and known what was in front of me, I feel I would have given myself a much better chance.

I only took a relatively cheap head torch, not wanting to lose my expensive one. I really wished I had a better one a few times though so that's something to remember next time.

So, I'll invest in some heavier leads and get there earlier next time and hopefully turn things around

unlucky rich

get there at low next time, fish it all the way up
find a gulley, or spot between the banks, find the fish ;)

i did saturday night at withernsea, for a fkin spotty ray, and huttoft sunday evening n had a few ;) ;)

looking at your pic, long as you were behind that roller, you would be about right
sunday night fish were circa 30-40m max
all on worm tho
drop me a pm before you go next time n i will give you a point in the right direction

I use a tripod similar to yours Rich. That front bar with the chain on should be horizontal when set up correctly. Worth spending some time before you go next time giving it a going over as they get corroded with salt air / water.
I pinch the old pan scrub out of the kitchen and give all the legs a good going over, particularly in the area where the bracing bar operates. I think you will find it should work a lot better then and make your next trip more enjoyable.

Back