• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

North Wales November, the month that kept on giving.

Andy 1965

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Lure
After beating my latest lure caught bass by a whole 10 days last week, I wasn’t sure if I would get out after silver again this year. Even though the weather last night was perfect, I was still thinking that it was probably too late, but when a mate pointed out that it would be the 1st of another month at midnight :unsure:, the lure of a December bass made my mind up for me 😅.

With high water in the afternoon, and low around 10pm, I decided to fish the same mark where I’ve been doing well on the ebb this year, as the timing would allow me to test a theory I had. So far this year, I have been forced to leave the mark either when the water got too shallow to keep fishing my beloved Mishna, or due to the fact that it was getting late, and I had work in the morning. On all these occasions, the fish were still feeding when I left, so the earlier tide would allow me to see foe exactly how long the bass would keep feeding after my usual departure time.

Armed with a decent supply of shallower swimming Swimish, along with a few of my usual Mishnas of course 😉, I arrived at the mark around 3 and a half hours after high water and I was pleasantly surprised to find that due to the relatively small tide, the water was still higher than I expected it to be. Clarity wise, things were a little murky at the shoreline, but within a couple of meters of dry land the water was crystal clear. So clear in fact that I could clearly see the bottom all around my, just by the light of the quarter moon.

With a little more depth than expected, I decided to start off with the Mishna after all, albeit with a lighter 5g jig-head than I normally chose at this particular mark. I then pinged it diagonally uptide, where I saw it splash down on the moonlit water’s surface, before I began a steady retrieve. Thankfully the lure made it back to shore through the snags and so I set about covering the water as usual, but I had barely had time to settle into a routine, before my lure was smashed! 😳

I was completely shocked to get a hit so soon, but I soon gathered my wits and after a nervous minute or two, my new latest ever lure caught bass was safely landed a whole 18 days later than my previous latest at the start of this year 🥳.
Bass-145_2022.jpg

With the bass still being present, my hopes for that first December lure catch were raised, but midnight was still almost 5 hours off yet.

I was absolutely buzzing to have got off the mark so quickly, but it wasn’t over yet, as 45 minutes later the same lure was hit again. This time I was wading quite far out in the rapidly shallowing water, but once the fish was beaten, I made my way carefully back to shore, where I landed bass number 146 for the year, another 2.5lber (y).
Bass-146_2022.jpg

With 4 hours to go until midnight, and December, things were looking promising, but after missing another couple of small taps in the next half hour, things then went very quiet. I wasn’t too concerned though, as low water was now only a couple of hours away and once the tide turned, I hoped things would pick up again.

Low water came and went, and I was starting to feel the cold by now but determined to catch in December for the first time ever, I persevered. The next 90 minutes remained quiet and the only signs of life I heard were the occasional splash, but they were few and far between, and my lures remained untouched.

Midnight finally arrived, and in an attempt to achieve my target I fished harder than ever, but the cold was really starting to bite by now and I couldn’t feel my feet anymore 🥶, so I was reluctantly forced to call it a night at 00:20. My hunt for a December silver will just have to wait for another week.

Cheers all (y).

I've heard of a couple of bass caught on lures today, so it looks like I'll be wrapping up against the cold 🥶 and getting out there again this week 😉.

Back