• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South Coast Oct round up. Recent nice mixed bag and bit of sea to plate.

Goateeblank

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
After one great week on holiday in the sun, followed by 5 weeks of being rough, starting with Covid, followed by problems with my tubes, then this nasty cough and cold thing, which just wont give up. I was going a bit stir crazy and l don't like to give in!! Previous to the holiday, l had cut a tree down in my back garden, chopped it into 11" lengths and delivered it to my mate for burning, all on my own and I was feeling so motivated and strong (for a 63 year old anyway).

10th October. Convinced myself I was ok! Packed the van and picked up some worms. Arranged to meet Haddock in Weymouth for a species session. Got one third of the way and had to come home and take to the settee. Bugger.

16th October. Made it to Weymouth to meet with Haddock. First time using maggots, something I have wanted to try for a long time and following positive results by Haddock. My first drop with maggots resulted in a goldsinny wrasse, my fourth wrasse species this year, and one for my hunt. Also had ballan wrasse, pollack, black goby, sand goby, black bream. Steady days fishing and did not stay too long.
20231016_195755.jpg
20231016_195844.jpg
26th October. Calshot for an easy fish as l can sit in my van. I am a member there, but the rules have changed so if you pay to park you can now fish. Fished heavier than usual hoping for a bass. The first bite and retrieve felt a bit odd and resulted in two bream, one on the big hook and the other on the pennel hook. I did manage an under size bass and somehow also a long spined scorpion fish!
20231026_122405.jpg
15th November. Gap in the weather so a short trip to Boscombe for an evening fishing on the pier. Fished on the end of the pier as there was little wind. Chucked a squid jig out under a float to fish itself (even though the water was far too dirty) and two rods with gar, mackerel and squid combinations. The squid used was caught a while ago from the same pier. The squid is so different to the frozen packs you buy. The mantle is soooo much thicker and the tentacles are also substantial and good for tipping off rag. The first bite gave me a nice little undulate.
20231118_153316.jpg
Haddock had a small eye and then a decent whiting. My next fish was another decent sized whiting which got a knock on the head ready for taking home. I took 3 home in the end.
20231115_190340.jpg
The squid rod was doing nothing, so l put a flapper rig on instead, size 4 hooks, 2oz weight flipped out to where the edge of the lights shine on the water. Not long to wait and a sole came in. The first of five.
20231115_202649.jpg
The top of the tide came and it went a bit quiet, then a few doggies came in, including one for me. That clinched it, we decided to finish at 12 and just before that I had a small eye ray giving me 5 species for the evening, no 6 l had pout as well! Haddock had similar results.
20231115_231728.jpg
A busy enough session for both of us and whiting for my lunch the next day. I filleted the whiting and de-skinned the fillets, made up some lager batter and deep fried them. They turned out brilliant with plenty for me and the wife. Picture is the wife's, mine had more chips, no salad and I made up for that with bread and butter! Whiting cooked like this is well worth the effort.20231116_170616.jpg

20231116_181713.jpg
Good luck if you are out.

Attachments

• 20231118_153316.jpg
    20231118_153316.jpg
    398.1 KB · Views: 5
Nice report Goatee, great pics too. 🎣 🎣

Ian.

Fabulous write up Goatee and some great photos. Good mix of species caught too. 🎣🎣👍👍.

The Whiting looked delicious, and I hope your health continues to improve.

Some nice fishing there goatee. Iv had surprising amount of fish using maggots even bass and dogfish lol
Thanks. The maggots are so cheap and you get sooooo many! I went for coloured ones with a layer of the white on top, so l had plenty to pick from. Dog fish on maggots! Not what you would expect.

Fabulous write up Goatee and some great photos. Good mix of species caught too. 🎣🎣👍👍.

The Whiting looked delicious, and I hope your health continues to improve.
Thanks, glad you liked it. The whiting was very nice. As above, back on form now, appreciate your comment mate.

Great write up Keith, well done on the new species you added, not to great on the lingering covid bug tho:(
Cheers Bob. Back on top now mate. Looks like l am not going to get over your way, the year has sort of run out!

Back