• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South Coast Odd day out!

chesilpete

Reaction score
So me Tom and Ben decided on West Chesil, we knew it would be a tough day out, its the same every year we start well then it dies off till May.
But as always chilling on Chesil is never a a wasted day the hope was a few flats but thats not how it turned out!.
Me n Tommy decided that its a long range flattie looking sea so blacks n rags got sent out Ben decided that he was going for a ray.
So it all started out as expected.... a small plaice.
Then nothing went to the script.
We started catching Pollock.... and we had quite a few only small but still something I have never had on Chesil.
Nothing else just more Pollock for a while.
Then Ben was obviously into something a bit more interesting and out popped a ray.
Now fair play to old Ben he went with a plan and it paid off.
Next chuck hes into something a lot more serious but lost it in the gutter it was definitely a much better ray, it plugged down in the gutter and Bens 2/0s pulled.
As you can predict me n Tom were straight onto fish baits but the light went and a load of shite fish turned up.
So Ben had a plan and executed it perfectly, just goes to show dont always do what the others are doing make your own luck!.
Small but welcome.... next time it will be a ray hunt.
Screenshot_20230319_125545_Gallery.jpgIMG-20230319-WA0002.jpg

That's the beauty of sea fishing. You never really know what's coming next despite your best laid plans. Unlucky on the one that got away!

Well in Ben !!!
How many blondes (fish wise) do you actually see come out of mid/west chesil
Magnificent achievement
I’m going to have a dabble tomorrow
we’ll see ….
Probably dogs pout etc but fun finding out
Hear that Tom had those reels down to the backing good man !!
Gray

Well in Ben !!!
How many blondes (fish wise) do you actually see come out of mid/west chesil
Magnificent achievement
I’m going to have a dabble tomorrow
we’ll see ….
Probably dogs pout etc but fun finding out
Hear that Tom had those reels down to the backing good man !!
Gray
They realised that ownership had changed and started screaming!
Hope you get something interesting Gray, how about a big huss for a prediction?.

They realised that ownership had changed and started screaming!
Hope you get something interesting Gray, how about a big huss for a prediction?.
Ha !!
They’ve been asleep for 18 months, rude
awakening !!!
Yep, I’m due a decent fish .. just got to keep trying
Really looking forward to the sess

Don't do what others do, make your own luck. Agree with that. Always worth a tackle, distance or bait change, if the fish are not paying ball. Looks a decent session though guys and targets lined up for the next one. Good luck. Hope it goes well.

Don't do what others do, make your own luck. Agree with that. Always worth a tackle, distance or bait change, if the fish are not paying ball. Looks a decent session though guys and targets lined up for the next one. Good luck. Hope it goes well.
Chesil really is a case of when in doubt have a go.... massive sea in December 4/0 pennel and out pops a dragonette!
We sat down and had a tally up and we reckon we had 38 species on Chesil in 12 calender months..... anyway change it up see what happens!.

Well done guys. It's almost inspired me to get the rods out, although the forecast isn't looking too promising for the coming weekend for Sussex but time for it to improve!

Looks like you and Ben had a good session Pete, great report and pics mate.

Christ, your mate Ben wears better clothes fishing than i do to go out, very smart. 🤣

Ian.

Looks like you and Ben had a good session Pete, great report and pics mate.

Christ, your mate Ben wears better clothes fishing than i do to go out, very smart. 🤣

Ian.
I always think that if border patrol come along and find me on the beach at night I am going to get a council house!

Good effort all!

Ted doesn’t look too impressed though?

Nice report and pics Pete (y) , that's the great thing about this fishing lark you really never know what's going to come out, well done to Ben on his nice (y)(y)ray, even if Ted didn't think so:unsure:

Nice report and pics Pete (y) , that's the great thing about this fishing lark you really never know what's going to come out, well done to Ben on his nice (y)(y)ray, even if Ted didn't think so:unsure:
It was a new species for Ben so although small it was extra cool.... a West Chesil Blonde is rare I have had one in a decade although we always suspected that they had to come through there to get down East.
Every session this time of year has the potential to be a bit weird down here in many respects we are waiting for smuts in May to liven things up.
But I see a couple came to the boats this weekend.
Its a time of year to do exactly what Ben did have a go and be prepared to blank.

Well done guys. It's almost inspired me to get the rods out, although the forecast isn't looking too promising for the coming weekend for Sussex but time for it to improve!
Where have all the Sussex plaice gone?
Not hearing of many is it that the grapevine is not working or have they already thinned out?

Back