• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South Coast Of sinister and dextrous things...

PhilR

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Boat
I haven't posted a catch report for quite a few months, so here goes, but don't get too excited.

I popped down to my local harbour for an evening's fishing this Tuesday. The plan was to fish the flood, partly in daylight, and partly in darkness, just to see if I could bag any new species for the hunt. High tide was about 8pm so I planned to fish 3 til 8.

Popped into the tackle shop for half a pound of ragworm, and then pitched-up in my favourite comfy spot.

CD07F738-8C49-4D73-96ED-06464DFDE856.JPG

My fellow species hunters will recognise the swim exactly. My thoughts were for comfort and shelter rather than maximum species potential. Plenty of time to tick some more off later. I like Tuesdays, plenty of room in the car parks, nobody else fishing.

Twin flattie rods, each with a one-up, one-down Wessex rig, size six hooks, 2oz weight. small rag baits.

Daylight produced a steady string of flounders: mostly small, a couple of medium ones, and a real belter:

SAM_2477.JPG

Not only was this a much better fish, but as you can see it's left-handed. So I can claim to have joined the lefty/righty club for the third year in succession.

As it began to get dark the flounders were replaced by pout and strap congers. Thankfully of the three congers I hooked, two dropped off in the sea, and the other dropped off at my feet without me ever having to touch it.

As packing-up time approached I dropped some big baits down the edge and a cracking pollack obliged:

SAM_2481.JPG

That meant I could pack up on a high note.

Anyway, not too shabby a session. The scores on the doors were:
  • 8 flounders
  • 8 pout
  • 1 conger
  • 1 pollack
Not sure where to try next.

Tight lines and thanks for reading.
Phil

I haven't posted a catch report for quite a few months, so here goes, but don't get too excited.

I popped down to my local harbour for an evening's fishing this Tuesday. The plan was to fish the flood, partly in daylight, and partly in darkness, just to see if I could bag any new species for the hunt. High tide was about 8pm so I planned to fish 3 til 8.

Popped into the tackle shop for half a pound of ragworm, and then pitched-up in my favourite comfy spot.

View attachment 59876

My fellow species hunters will recognise the swim exactly. My thoughts were for comfort and shelter rather than maximum species potential. Plenty of time to tick some more off later. I like Tuesdays, plenty of room in the car parks, nobody else fishing.

Twin flattie rods, each with a one-up, one-down Wessex rig, size six hooks, 2oz weight. small rag baits.

Daylight produced a steady string of flounders: mostly small, a couple of medium ones, and a real belter:

View attachment 59877

Not only was this a much better fish, but as you can see it's left-handed. So I can claim to have joined the lefty/righty club for the third year in succession.

As it began to get dark the flounders were replaced by pout and strap congers. Thankfully of the three congers I hooked, two dropped off in the sea, and the other dropped off at my feet without me ever having to touch it.

As packing-up time approached I dropped some big baits down the edge and a cracking pollack obliged:

View attachment 59878

That meant I could pack up on a high note.

Anyway, not too shabby a session. The scores on the doors were:
  • 8 flounders
  • 8 pout
  • 1 conger
  • 1 pollack
Not sure where to try next.

Tight lines and thanks for reading.
Phil

Busy session, nicely done

Great session mate, nice mixed bag of fish too. Well done. 🎣 🎣

Ian.

Nice report & great photos Phil - well done!

Bugger! Typed this this morning and forgot to hit 'post reply' again! Easily done if it's below the bottom of the screen!

We quite like fishing there on our annual trip down south. All sorts of stuff come out, but I’ve still not caught my shore rockling there. My mate had one and didn’t know what it was. 😊

We quite like fishing there on our annual trip down south. All sorts of stuff come out, but I’ve still not caught my shore rockling there. My mate had one and didn’t know what it was. 😊

Plenty of shore rockling there, but they are not spread out all over. You need to drop your bait in amongst the boulders, or close by. Keep rigs simple as you will lose some.

Back