• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South Wales Off to Gower surf beach

nearly70ty

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Lure
Hi gents,
I wouldn't be heading for a surf beach normally this time of the year but water temps are up and Swansea bay is dogged out lol. We arrived on the beach about 3.15 pm, its a very big tide so arrived to fish over high water to avoid us having to sprint up the beach in an attempt to stay dry . :ROFLMAO: The skies were clear with the odd floaty cloud drifting by, a settled spell of high pressure was settled over us 1021 mb was the air pressure. The sea wasn't perfect for our intended quarry the majestic bass, two or three breakers around a foot high and pretty clear. The wind was light Northerly coming from the north off our right shoulder

I fished a fourteen foot conti and a eleven and a half foot bass rod, my mate Fulf two fourteen foot conti's. Both had two hook in various guises flappers, one up one down etc. Lug worms freshly dug were the main bait with a bit of frozen razorfish as plan B.

We had baits in the water by 3.30 pm and after an hour and a half we had a small 6 oz bass to show for our efforts, Fulf being the lucky angler lol. Just after 5 pm coinciding with the light fading, Fulf hit a dogfish, I can't remember catching a dogfish on this beach, but it was later in the year than I normally fish. I then had one myself and then another with a small bass on the same rig. Then a small dab, Fulf then landed double header of you guessed it "DOGFISH" I then had another small bass with yes another woofer attached to the same trace. The final tally eight dogs two basslets and a dab for me, Fulf 4 dogs and two basslets, We decided to call it a day an hour earlier than we planned, I'm afraid the thought of dog after dog just didn't appeal. We went out of way to avoid the dogs, but we're only guessing here, but they must have access to the internet and followed us there :ROFLMAO:

Onwards and upwards gents, tight line and lots of codling ;)

Nice report and quite a few fish, even if not the intended species! ??

Back