• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Advice Okuma spare parts

It is not a cheap reel either I think I paid £60 or more about 5 years ago , I have 4 Okuma reels they are nice reels
Tbh John, my experience with sub £60-80 fixed spools is they’re essentially a disposable commodity.
It’s one reason why I stopped using them. I’d spend best part of £80 on a reel and it would last two years if I was lucky.

To be fair, five years isn’t a bad return.

One reason I like multis - as long as the parts are still made you can rebuild the reel one piece at a time if you have to!

Tbh John, my experience with sub £60-80 fixed spools is they’re essentially a disposable commodity.
It’s one reason why I stopped using them. I’d spend best part of £80 on a reel and it would last two years if I was lucky.

One reason I like multis - as long as the parts are still made you can rebuild the reel one piece at a time if you have to!
That should be the same with fixed spools , parts should be available

Okuma have got a huge following in the USA and their customer service is supposed to be top notch. It's a shame many of their products are not available here, and their service is not good either.

Just sent you a WhatsApp. I had to go to France to get the parts for your Shimano, but at least they were easy to find & buy.

Should be but the cheaper ones seem to be sealed units that you use and throw away, unfortunately.

It shouldn’t be like that but in my experience it is.

Okuma stuff isn’t bad, just not convinced it lasts that well. I’ve got a couple of smaller ones, they’re work well enough but haven’t done that well over the years, even with light usage

Okuma have got a huge following in the USA and their customer service is supposed to be top notch. It's a shame many of their products are not available here, and their service is not good either.
There’s a lot of stuff in the US and Oz that we just don’t see here, for some reason

I got shimano and Okuma fixed spools they both do the same job equally as good for what I intended them to do , ie catch fish

John have you tried Quentin at QM reel repairs Marsh Mills, near the ski slope?
I thought I saw something somewhere about a okuma place at plympton but I couldn’t find anything on it , is it in the big industrial estate behind

Quentin is a top guy, albeit a bit slow sometime, benefit of being local is if you don’t get a response you can pop in and see him. All the best?
Hi mate
I have found the site now as you gave me the name , I have messaged them now
thanks

John have you tried Quentin at QM reel repairs Marsh Mills, near the ski slope?

Last I heard Flipper, Quentin Millman was still doing a bit from home, but had to give up the unit, possibly due to rent increases, and I think Covid played a part too, as he couldn't accept visitors to the unit or home. He's worth a shout though, and his website is still up:

Back