• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South Coast Old Portsmouth camber docks New to LRF… fish ID help

Kenny84

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
So I headed out for an hour to try a bit of light rock fishing in Portsmouth.

I bought a HTO urban finesse rod (0.5-5g) so really light stuff! I tried a variety of baits from rag, to metal lures and jig heads with soft lures.

It felt a bit odd using all this super light flimsy tackle! Thin line tiny hooks…. Tying knots with cold fingers requires some patience for sure!

First few casts I got the Feel of it trying different retrieval methods for the different style lures. I had a few bites but couldn’t seem to get anything hooked on the metal lures so switched to time size 7 wormer hooks with small bits of rag worm and 5g weights in a dropper rig.

Instantly hooked in to a few time little gobbies, the light rod was bent right over ? even with such a tiny fish so it was good fun.

I’m not great with identifying these smaller species so help is appreciated.

Attachments

• 8CC9AF16-CE50-4416-B793-7794AC3DDA36.jpeg
    8CC9AF16-CE50-4416-B793-7794AC3DDA36.jpeg
    36.2 KB · Views: 32
That's a Black Goby, the elongated rays on the dorsal fins are the give-away. If you look you in detail you will see black marks on the front edge of the fins which is another distinctive feature and why it's called a black goby.

Well done on your first venture in to the light gear world. You will be surprised how good these light rods are and how heavy a fish they can bring in, as for cold fingers and knots, I use a sliding hook, pass the line though the eye, and move it up the line 8" then a over hand knot, keeps the hook in place and can be adjusted easily, plus the drop shot weight needs no knots, just have to warm yer fingers to get the bait on.;)

That's a Black Goby, the elongated rays on the dorsal fins are the give-away. If you look you in detail you will see black marks on the front edge of the fins which is another distinctive feature and why it's called a black goby.
Thanks Cap’n the goby species do have a big family! Slimey little suckers too!

Well done on your first venture in to the light gear world. You will be surprised how good these light rods are and how heavy a fish they can bring in, as for cold fingers and knots, I use a sliding hook, pass the line though the eye, and move it up the line 8" then a over hand knot, keeps the hook in place and can be adjusted easily, plus the drop shot weight needs no knots, just have to warm yer fingers to get the bait on.;)
I’ll give that a go thank ?? I do like the drop shot weights! Nice and simple

Back