• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South Coast ON THE ROCK................. WRASSE, POLOCK AND MACKEREL

Mukiwa

Reaction score
L

ON THE ROCKS...........wrasse, polock and mackerel​

South West
TagsNone

Jump to LatestUnfollow

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

[IMG alt="Mukiwa"]https://www.worldseafishing.com/d3/avatars/m/156/156305.jpg?1591344217[/IMG]

Mukiwa

·Registered
Joined May 30, 2017
·
6,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · 8 h ago

20230503_153041-jpg.1405728

Good Afternoon,

Most of the world is covered by water. A fisherman's job is simple, pick out the best parts

: Charlie Waterman

Well it's been such a long time since my last report. Quite shocking really how time flys, easing the lack of fishing With a scattering of not very dedicated sessions to help with the ever present pressure of our modern life.

But a very exciting opportunity had come to hand.

Last year I was blessed enough to spend time in cornwall, on the rocks camping, moving to new locations everyday. It was totally amazing, catching wrasse and polock on lures.

The plans were imagined, ingrained into my thoughts as the 1st of May drew near. The failures of the last trip sorted, and much texting between fishing friends, with simple message from a really great angler and gentleman, @djd bazzer, Dave.......... "that looks banging, do you mind if I can tag along". So Dave joined me for two days. Dave has started a new youtube channel, which has some stunning videos of the adventures he has been on, I highly recommend watching. The photography is out of this world, literally.
I will add a link below.

Eager to show Dave the Mark's I love to fish so much, but also find those specail Mark's for future fishing trips. Googling and sharing such info was on the cards.

The day had come, merryleggs and I had the car packed, quick prayer for travelling mercies, and we are off. Wouldnt it be strange if we saw Dave on the way down......... I said to merryleggs, well blow me down with a feather, the first van we see on the M27, its Dave. Now a race to get to cornwall. But like Dave's energy to walk at speed, he was off lol.

Arriving at the fishing shop, a top up of bait and bits. With loving hug to merryleggs as she left me, to spend time with her mum for a few days, We made our way to our first mark...... Blackhead , in some very wet weather. 🤦‍♂️ oh no this going to be a wet one. Where we are fishing, there is no place to hide on exposed rocks.

But as forcast the rain stopped, the sun came out, and our chance to start walking........ though sloppy farm mud, great.

20230517_213604-jpg.1405729

As we climbed the last hill, the top in sight, the adrenaline kicked in, over the top, looking at the view in awe, we made the slippery decent, to the rocks below. What a wonderful feeling......... freedom at last, topped with a welcoming treat of dolphins, then a pod of whales, and one really checky seal, showing off his catch. I really though cats were the animals that played with their food........... Plainly not with this guy, teasing us even more with his prize.

20230517_151712-jpg.1405730

The fishing wasnt great, mainly dogs, loads of mackerel. Dave did put down a live bait, which something had a go, but nicked the bait. Cunning cornish fish I tell you.

Dave having enough at 3am, went back to the van to get some kip. I found a 2 foot ledge, at a slight angle, sloping back into the rocks, tarp wrapped around me, and got some much need sleep.
20230506_140205-jpg.1405741

Day two .......Gribbon head, arriving back at the van, quick refresh and we are off to the Gribbon head, not before some breakfast.

Lugging 60lbs of essential kit, This was going to be a tough one. Remembering the Mark's I had seen, we walked, Dave shooting off into the distance, stopping waiting for me, as he flexed his legs, indefiance of the brutal climbs and descents, as I puffed and blow a few gaskets trying to keep up, which turned out a no go, there was no way to get to the water safely.

20230501_111613-jpg.1405733

Back tracking, Dave , now being the lead Scout, I lost him in the distance , he found a place we could scale down, to the rocks below. Finally we could get fishing, clipping on our favourite
weedless paddles, started to search out those rock pickers, to which they didnt disappoint. The crystal clear water made it exciting to watch the action on the sandy bottom, bumping our lures over the rocks, to watch a brave wrasse nip out and steal the lure before running for cover. A couple of polock added to the fun of the day.

20230501_150538-jpg.1405738

On deciding to go to another mark for the night, the ascent up the the cliffs and hills start, every muscle hurt, and on fire, arriving at our last mark. Tranquility of flat calm sea, beautiful sandy bay, as the sun set on the cliffs opposite us. We took our last chances of an evening bass, but It didnt happen, no worries as we were in such a beautiful spot. The strain of the last days had caught up, muscle sore from top to bottom, it was an early night, conscious of everything being covered in slugs and snails🤢 how they got into my sleeping bag I have no idea.

20230502_065044-jpg.1405732

Following morning Dave was off, back home. Merrleggs came down to collect me as the forcast now had turned against me to 2.5 meter swell and 50 knot winds from the east.

20230506_114754-jpg.1405736

Day three..........was a lay day. A wonderful b&b on the waters edge in Fowey. Quaint shops , doughnuts the size of dinner plates and cornish pastys the same size. Just as well, as the swell was emmence, but still itching to get out there, which I did on day four. Fishing under the st Catherine fort at the entrance, waves crashing into the rocks, the breeze lifting the spray on to my face, lovely.

Clipping on metal lure and heavy paddle tails, I started the task of finding fish. Mackerel were the only catch, until, and I really dont know how it happened, but on retrieving my prized fish, resting in a rock pool, a big fat flip flop, I was suddenly attached to a mackerel via a treble hook. Well this ain't good I thought, gentley muttering to Mackie, " so we are blood bothers now". Releasing my new bother, pushing the hook all the way though and out the other side of my finger, breaking the barb and hook point, the hook slipped out to end our uniting ceremony........ swim well brother.
20230503_120831-jpg.1405742

Suddenly, this fishing was not so appealing. The bays and rock Mark's across the way looked very appealing. I only had a few hours, as merryleggs and I had planned a date night. A quick ferry ride, and I was on the cliffs of Pullran. Wow now this is stunning. Walking along the coastal path, looking down........ what a sight, flat calm turquoise blue water.
20230503_153508-jpg.1405745

20230503_154620-jpg.1405737

20230503_162445-jpg.1405744

Making my way down to the water, I started fishing with wrasse that exceeded my expectation, huge takes on the paddle tail. These were really testing my skills. Century graphex, Larry, handled each lunge brillaintly. what sport I had for a few hours. I lost count in the end how many fish I caught. The mackies seem to be on steroids to, in the funky weather. Called it a day, and still had to catch a ferry back, so a quick climb out, but my calfs were burning on every step.
20230506_121539-jpg.1405740

Our last days were in a different area, Garren Haven. Lovely sleepy village, the weather was totally aweful, rain wind and mist, but that did not stop me with more wrasse, polock and mackerel grace the rock pools, with Deadmans head or Dodmans head, as a back drop, the tallest head land in the south west. A real beast, but with all the climbing of rock Mark's, thought I better leave that for another time. Sadly our holiday was at a end, a quick session in the morning for some breakfast, 2 lovely mackies was a real treat.

20230507_061854-jpg.1405731

Our last session, of our holiday, was swanage, with small wrasse to brighten a really damp day, and a lovely silver bar from Pevril point, before the rain totally set in leaving me wet though.
20230508_183730-jpg.1405739

What a holiday, spending time with merryleggs, good food and country side, Topped with wonderful fishing, and great company.

20230506_113341-jpg.1405735

I have missed the fishing, and now the hounds are here, it has to be done, as I totally missed them last year. So cant wait for the sound ratchet and arched rod tip, with great company

Thank you for reading, and tight lines for you next session.

Cheers

Mukiwa

Fabulous report & brilliant photos Gavin! Seriously enjoyed reading that! Thanks mate! 🎣🎣😁😁👍👍

Fabulous report & brilliant photos Gavin! Seriously enjoyed reading that! Thanks mate! 🎣🎣😁😁👍👍
Hi Dave,

Hope all is well with you and Tina. Thank you for the kind comments, it was such a lovely time , good company and dispute the weather, some awesome fishing. Those wrasse are such good sport , especally the few that were of really decent size.

Take care mate and very tight lines

Fantastic report, and great pictures as well. Nice one. 🎣 🎣

Ian.

Great report and some fantastic fishing there. You have just got to love Cornwalls coast .

Dave
Hi Dave,

Thank you for the kind comments.

Absolutely right Dave, it is stunning. I cant wait for every opportunity to immerse myself in these wonderful surroundings and at night, just the sound of waves. Last year, there was no waves, it was dead silence, except for the odd owl.

Tight lines Dave

Brilliant report!!! I was off dodman this morning next time you're here give me a shout
Hello mate, how are you? When I was down there at gorran, I was think about you, and toerag , coz I know you both live close to there.

Awesome, how did go mate, hope it was a great session. Its looks awesome off there.

Thank you, definitely will give you a shout mate, we should be down in july, first week I think. Unless things go pear shape. I have planned the first two days to be lantic bay side, but there after, will be your side of the water.

Anyhow take care mate, and very tight lines

Back